Sounds you’ve mistaken for TLD sounds

conanjaguar

You know you’ve been playing too much TLD when you start hearing in-game sounds in real life…

For instance, my cat sounds exactly like a stove door closing after a fire is lit when he meows :D.

And feel free to share any of your own experiences of this sort ;).

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Rusty said:

I spent waaay too long one day looking around for a corpse on GBI before realizing that the crows I was hearing were outside my actual window IRL. 

I often watch movies etc. on my other screen while I'm playing TLD, and occasionally the same mistake with both crow and wolf sounds that are actually in the movie. Not helped by the fact that many screen productions use the same available sets of sound assets that are used in games, so it's sometimes literally the exact same animal noises I'm hearing.  ^_^

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bloodskye said:

I was watching a TLD stream on twitch and playing at the same time when I heard a wolf. I was frantically looking at both screens trying to figure out where it was coming from.

Yup, same thing happens to me all the time when I'm watching Zak's vids on YT.  ^_^

• Upvote 2

Of all things, a co-worker was cutting up some paper to make a shipping label. Some of it was exactly the same sound as making tinder from paper in the game. It took me a bit to figure out where I had heard it before. I have also heard the cabinet door sound IRL. Ironically I live in Yukon and walk to work so I hear the snow crunching sound all the time. Can confirm its authentic. I keep meaning to take a short video of me walking home in my Mukluks crunching through the snow as I head home to play TLD.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

@YKMini you live in Yukon!  If I ever make it to canada that's my top priority.  I imagine you're in whitehorse, two-thirds of the population are, but if you're not are you above the arctic circle?  How close is the timberline?  Are the trees dwarfed?  Are there mountains?  Does it snow very much?

Haha, sorry for all my questions, but Yukon's really cool.

• Upvote 1

On 11/8/2023 at 9:31 AM, Third Try said:

@YKMini you live in Yukon!  If I ever make it to canada that's my top priority.  I imagine you're in whitehorse, two-thirds of the population are, but if you're not are you above the arctic circle?  How close is the timberline?  Are the trees dwarfed?  Are there mountains?  Does it snow very much?

Haha, sorry for all my questions, but Yukon's really cool.

I do live in Whitehorse but I also lived in Inuvik for several years. In Western Canada the treeline goes much higher north than in the East. Canada treeline map so we are well below the treeline.

The only place to live in Yukon that is above the Arctic Circle is Old Crow which is fly in only community of 300 people. You can see mountains from town here and they have snow on them until July. Because of dry climate we don't get a lot of snow compared to Southern Canada. A few feet is typical. I say that but the 2 years before last we had a ton of snow. Some other cools things are the river at Whitehorse is the highest point on earth that can be reached by watercraft navigating from the sea.

• Upvote 3

While immersed in a TLD blizzard, not noticing that the actual temperature outside dropped by 10°C in the past hour and there is a real storm raging... until after finishing playing and trying to go out.  [Sigh] - I guess we stay in tonight and look forward to shovelling out in the morning.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for responding @YKMini, good to know.

Around here it will get damn cold, but rarely ever has even a foot of snow, but since it's windy the drifts will become several feet deep.  I found one last winter (which all the locals said was a pretty bad one) that was probably eight feet deep, or for all you canadians, about 2 2/3 meters.  The winter before that only had about six inches.

Thanks for the map as well!

• Upvote 1