*Pets*

Semple Fi

7 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I know a variation of this has been floated before but…..

With the inclusion of the cougar it seems it could be expanded.  

Taming wolves with rabbit meat.  
Taming Cougar with ptarmigan meat. 
Taming deer with acorns. 
No moose taming 🤣

No moose😁.   Awe shucks....   

How about a bunny?  After all there's so many of them😅

• Upvote 1

I got myself a few pet rabbits at Blackrock Prison once. The maintenance area is a perfect place because there's an airlock-type double gate out to the back of the prison where there are a load of bunnies. I herded a few inside the maintenance area and it was lovely having them running around every time I came through.

I am not sure of other places where it would be possible to herd rabbits into an enclosed area...? There are other gates of course, but are any near enough to a rabbit spawn? It was easy to do with two gates, but with one gate it would be harder; the first would run out when you opened the gate to get another one in.

I haven't been to Blackrock in ages, but I fully intend to get myself some new bun friends when I go again.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, xanna said:

I got myself a few pet rabbits at Blackrock Prison once. The maintenance area is a perfect place because there's an airlock-type double gate out to the back of the prison where there are a load of bunnies. I herded a few inside the maintenance area and it was lovely having them running around every time I came through.

I am not sure of other places where it would be possible to herd rabbits into an enclosed area...? There are other gates of course, but are any near enough to a rabbit spawn? It was easy to do with two gates, but with one gate it would be harder; the first would run out when you opened the gate to get another one in.

I haven't been to Blackrock in ages, but I fully intend to get myself some new bun friends when I go again.

Cool idea..  I'll try that myself when I can..thanks😁

I'll be brief and succinct with this one (since I don't have a lot of time today to elaborate).

I'm not really in favor of the idea of being able to "tame" carnivores...  The lore indicates they've all gotten hyper-aggressive since the first flare, and I'd argue that even if we managed to "befriend" a wolf or a dog (both canines and both of course carnivorous)... as soon as an aurora would flare up, then our furry friend would likely just go berserk and be a hostile threat to our life.

I don't mind the idea of being able to befriend herbivores since by and large they are not hostile (the notable exception of course is the Moose) and do not seem affected first flare or the subsequent auroras (as least not that we know of since they tend to be gone at night already anyway).

I think the only thing similar I've ever asked for, was the ability to walk while holding a captured rabbit... and that was just so I could then release it in another location (like inside the Mountaineer's Hut 🤭).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
In general though... while I can appreciate the idea, I'm not sure that I'm in favor of animal companions... much for the same reason I don't like the idea of Human NPCs in my Survival Sandbox.  I think it undermines the feeling of isolation.  The fact that all of wildlife on Great Bear Island is either hostile or fearful of our survivor means we are the outsider... the intruder.   That ultimately our survivor will have to live, struggle, and eventually die alone, with nature being at best indifferent of whether we are even there or not (and at worst actively seeking to devour us).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

To be fair...

I do have to admit that I do enjoy it when I find rabbits that are glitched, just standing/sitting there looking around or licking their paw... and I can spend a little time sitting next to them or take a screenshot.

So please know that I'm not entirely against the idea. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

I don’t think this would work with existing creatures, except maybe rabbits and/or ptarmigans. As @ManicManiac said, the carnivores are hyper-aggressive and would sooner tear you limb from limb than go for the juicy steak you dropped as a decoy.

However - and this is a bit of a stretch - what if there were domestic animals? Like a dog who’s owner died, and he’s wandering around Coastal Highway; a cat who scavenges off wolf kills in Milton… such animals could very well “miss” humans caring for and loving them and be able to fight off the influence of the Event. Again, it’s a long shot, but I’m no animal psychologist :D.

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Like a dog who’s owner died, and he’s wandering around Coastal Highway

8 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

a cat who scavenges off wolf kills in Milton

These are both carnivores... as I mentioned previously:

I'd tend to think that given the lore... even if we did manage to befriend them (carnivores)... I think it's likely would just go berserk as soon as an aurora flared up.  Then our furry friend would just become a hostile threat to our life.

Cats after all are just essentially miniature cougars 😋

(not literally of course - but they are cousins so-to-speak)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

To be fair...

I do have to admit that I do enjoy it when I find rabbits that are glitched, just standing/sitting there looking around or licking their paw... and I can spend a little time sitting next to them or take a screenshot.

So please know that I'm not entirely against the idea. :D 

Join us ..🐇😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

Buster is my favorite rabbit on Great Bear Island.

20230108180803_1.jpg.774155b030a484f684464430d555de81.jpg (1200×675)
20230820084740_1.jpg.b7cbd57b41d54cd8eaba80819e149938.jpg (1200×675)

Is that the ravine one? Or winding river?  

I do lk seeing Larry in the bleak cave but I also feel sorry for it being alone in there.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
The first one I'd ever found was in the Ravine, and that's when I named it.
After that... every time I find a rabbit just sitting in place nonchalantly, I just like to think it's Buster.

Oh I see.. maybe it is😊. Those warrens can be very big...and maybe he likes your company ☺️

• Upvote 2

@ManicManiac

oh c’mon now, what better way to spend your time researching how to harvest animals than with your carnivore friend?  After all, we are carnivores too…

image.jpeg.74d55b5941ef6564530ce4b0152160e7.jpeg

and I never said that the same mechanic can’t be reset each Aurora…. Don’t sleep too long next to your furry friends…

and the mechanic could be removed from interloper   Since the description for that *particular * setting states “you are not part of natures plan”…

@Leeanda

joined!

image.jpeg.7c4d40ef457b40ea75d48eabdbbabbe6.jpeg

Edited by Semple Fi
Yep yep
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

After all, we are carnivores too…
and I never said that the same mechanic can’t be reset each Aurora…. Don’t sleep too long next to your furry friends…
and the mechanic could be removed from interloper   Since the description for that *particular * setting states “you are not part of natures plan”…

All fair points... 🤭

By the way.... (I figured I'd mention) I do favor Stalker over Interloper.
While I appreciate the Interloper harshness... I much rather have access to all the game has to offer while having to watch out for the maximum number of hostiles.  Perhaps one day I will settle on a nice mixture in the custom settings... but for now I do really favor Stalker.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

@ManicManiac

oh c’mon now, what better way to spend your time researching how to harvest animals than with your carnivore friend?  After all, we are carnivores too…

image.jpeg.74d55b5941ef6564530ce4b0152160e7.jpeg

and I never said that the same mechanic can’t be reset each Aurora…. Don’t sleep too long next to your furry friends…

@Leeanda

joined!

image.jpeg.7c4d40ef457b40ea75d48eabdbbabbe6.jpeg

That's a lot of bunnies😁.    I don't mind cleaning up one or twos mess  ,but that lot?????😅

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, xanna said:

There's bunnies right by the fishing hut on Pensive Pond... I reckon I could get one in there and close the door, have me some pet bun time

If you do, post here!

I wonder if I could do that with the grizzle in the prison….

• Upvote 1