Buck charging

James Hickok

After the introduction of the doe we now have a diversity in deer which is cool. I was thinking that it would be cool if the male deer, the buck had a chance to charge you when you miss it or he spots you. I mean its common for bucks to do that and would be super cool adition to hunting strategy. If a buck would charge and hit you would have a bruise/ clothing thorn or even maybe a broken rib.   

• Upvote 4

I was talking about stags with @FaT McMarlin not so long ago...   I know stag get very aggressive in the rutting season so it'd make sense to have them be like that in game..  

Technically though they just run right through us so I'd be wondering if it's even possible to change their behaviour... 

Personally I'd like each animal to have their own settings for passive or not,fear etc... I'd like wolves and moose to be aggressive but not bears ..

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Technically though they just run right through us so I'd be wondering if it's even possible to change their behaviour...

It is possible.

A long time ago, the Deer would always run "away" from us, but I think that was changed to be a bit more random because folks would push deer and rabbits and use them as a wolf shield (forcing them to "scout" ahead and sacrificed to any wolf skulking nearby).

While that still can be done... it's a bit more difficult these days because it seems like the deer just sort of pick a random direction to flee in when they get spooked (we can't as reliably push them in a particular direction as easily as we used to).  Also, the same thing happens to wolves when they flee... which is terrifying!  It's very unnerving when I hit a wolf with a stone, it starts fleeing in fear... but it looks like it's charging right for my face... only to have it bolt right past me instead.  :D 

(more to OPs point)
So while it's certainly possible for Hinterland to change or update the behavior, but given that we have Wolves, Timberwolves, Bears, Moose, and now a Cougar on the way...  I feel like we have enough unreasonably hostile wildlife on our hands without having to worry about whether deer are going to start goring us next. :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

It is possible.

A long time ago, the Deer would always run "away" from us, but I think that was changed to be a bit more random because folks would push deer and rabbits and use them as a wolf shield (forcing them to "scout" ahead and sacrificed to any wolf skulking nearby).

While that still can be done... it's a bit more difficult these days because it seems like the deer just sort of pick a random direction to flee in when they get spooked (we can't as reliably push them in a particular direction as easily as we used to).  Also, the same thing happens to wolves when they flee... which is terrifying!  It's very unnerving when I hit a wolf with a stone, it starts fleeing in fear... but it looks like it's charging right for my face... only to have it bolt right past me instead.  :D 

(more to OPs point)
So while it's certainly possible for Hinterland to change or update the behavior, and given that we have Wolves, Timberwolves, Bears, Moose, and now a Cougar on the way...  I feel like we have enough unreasonably hostile wildlife on our hands without having to worry about whether deer are going to start goring us next. :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

I've tried herding deer...a total lost cause😁. Never managed it once..   they seem more untouchable than even the panicking wolf. (Which is very worrying😅

Even the carcasses can be walked over/through....something which is a bug when it's our kill..  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've tried herding deer...a total lost cause

I still manage to do this sometimes (by pure luck since the direction they flee when startled seems random).  I remember this used to an easy hunting strategy. 

Rabbits still seem easier to herd into wolves...

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

I still manage to do this sometimes (by pure luck since the direction they flee when startled seems random).  I remember this used to an easy hunting strategy. 

Rabbits still seem easier to herd into wolves...

I've never had a problem with the bunnies.. but deer are a law unto themselves..   I think it's easier to scare wolves in the direction of the deer..

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've never had a problem with the bunnies.. but deer are a law unto themselves..   I think it's easier to scare wolves in the direction of the deer..

I've found that once wolves are tracking you (if they're far enough away), I can circle around a herd of deer (without spooking them) and draw the wolf into the herd.  Conditions have to be right for this method to work.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've found that once wolves are tracking you (if they're far enough away), I can circle around a herd of deer (without spooking them) and draw the wolf into the herd.  Conditions have to be right for this method to work.

I can see how that would work...     Even with fear off though mine still run away.

On 8/25/2023 at 7:13 AM, Leeanda said:

I can see how that would work...     Even with fear off though mine still run away.

Yeah, with Passive ON, it's definitely more of a challenge.  Your only hope is to chase the prey to the predator without getting too close to the predator yourself!

4 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, with Passive ON, it's definitely more of a challenge.  Your only hope is to chase the prey to the predator without getting too close to the predator yourself!

I'm lucky I've not been caught in the crossfire in that regards.. I know some who've got between Wolfie and his prey mid chase and got mauled for it.

But aside from the aurora wolf I shot in the cannery I've not been attacked by any...unless they were feeding  and I got too close behind them.(deliberately 😁)

That experiment I did still seems the only reliable way to get attacked on pilgrim..  

• Upvote 1