Improvised Lighter using rifle shell casing

A Lamp

Since now revolver casing do have a purpose outside of making new ammo, i was wondering what rifle casing could do.

A lighter made either in the ammunition workbench or milling machine, using 1 rifle shell casing, 2-4 scrap metal, 1 tinder/cloth (for the wick) and 1 stone (simulating the flint since there isn't any in the game).

The lighter would act like a lantern with less fuel in it. You can use it either for firestarting or to simply provide some light, but not only you need to refuel it but overtime, after being used quite a bit, it will require to replace the wick (with tinder or cloth) and the flint (with stone).

In terms of fire starting, obviously it would be better than matches but less efficient that a firestriker.

• Upvote 2

You don't need to go to that much trouble. Any old jar will do. Just take a scrap of cloth and cut it into a strip for your wick, then ram the jar full of as much extra scrap cloth as you can find to soak up the fuel so it doesn't leak. Punch a hole in the lid to run the wick through, then just pour your accelerant of choice in (naphtha is recommended but gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil,  90% or higher alcohol) and light it. Will stay lit for probably a good hour, maybe more. Once the fuel is exhausted, the wick will burn up, but the burn will stop at the lid and it'll put itself out.

Edited by ajb1978
spelling
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

You don't need to go to that much trouble. Any old jar will do. Just take a scrap of cloth and cut it into a strip for your wick, then ram the jar full of as much extra scrap cloth as you can find to soak up the fuel so it doesn't leak. Punch a hole in the lid to run the wick through, then just pour your accelerant of choice in (naphtha is recommended but gasoline, kerosene, lamp oil,  90% or higher alcohol) and light it. Will stay lit for probably a good hour, maybe more. Once the fuel is exhausted, the wick will burn up, but the burn will stop at the lid and it'll put itself out.

Yeah, this idea came from a yt video i was. Then i just went to google improvised lighter and it turns out you can make lighter out of practically anything (well almost).

I figured the rifle casing was the most fitting for TLD if something like this was planned, but also to make it also useful outside of making new ammo (like the revolver one).