Cooking Idea: Eggs

Cyclone35

In a older thread about food ideas, I mentioned how eggs could be in the game, someone mentioned the idea of finding bird eggs in nests. I figured I'd bring it up now that we have a new cooking system. To simply put it, what if you can find some bird nests in trees or high locations, Some nests will just have feathers, but maybe you can find a couple of eggs. With the skillet, you can make hard boiled eggs to eat, or scrambled eggs with salt and oil. It may be cruel to steal a birds eggs, but this is a hardcore survival game after all. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

I'd be ok with this and I think a lot of people were expecting something like this, ravens have been in this game since day 1 and like other birds it stands to reason that they'd have nests and lay eggs.

Wouldn't the eggs just freeze solid? Are there any types of birds that nest and lay eggs in the depths of a Canadian winter? I wouldn't imagine there are many, if any.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

Wouldn't the eggs just freeze solid? Are there any types of birds that nest and lay eggs in the depths of a Canadian winter? I wouldn't imagine there are many, if any.

Interesting point, I would take that mean the ravens we see would be going extinct soon.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, deathbydanish said:

Interesting point, I would take that mean the ravens we see would be going extinct soon.

Yes. In a real situation (ha! like anything about this game is real; I think "magic realism" really describes it best), where winter goes on forever, the end game is basically a mass extinction event.

My head canon for what is happening is that the earth took a double whammy on crash night (i.e. day 0 of a sandbox run), with a CME hitting that makes the Carrington event look like a firecracker, and Yellowstone erupting, bringing on the supervolcano version of a nuclear winter. Things would get very very dire very very quickly in such circumstances for everyone.

Heck, I'd like to sit down and design a mode that uses this as a starting point, with the game starting with a week of auroras and glimmer fog followed by a limited set of weather (basically, no clear days, always cloudy and/or foggy). After fifty days when it's starting to get really cold the storms start to come, with blizzards starting as lasting for some number of hours to them lasting for some number of days a hundred days after that, with frequency set to high. Start with very high levels of wildlife, but set wildlife decline to max as they die off due to the never ending winter. Let people have the firearms, because they're gonna need them with wildlife set to high and wolves set to max damage.

Then around day 1500 things start to get better, with clear sunny days finally appearing after years of a milky sky of stratospheric sulphur aerosols.

I'd also like to try a mode where the aurora activates the player sort of like it does the wildlife, by a) making it possible to wake up when an aurora starts when you're asleep, and b) by making the fatigue bar irrelevant while it's active, so the player can run and run and run. N.B. running would still peg your calories, so you want to keep an eye lest you lose your well fed bonus by starving yourself.

Blah blah blah. Lots of fun to think of ways to extend this place.

• Upvote 2

A prequel story would make a great DLC, its just like the one Frostpunk had, where the people knew of the impending disaster and were making preparations for the storm to come. Maybe see the start of the disaster from whomever is setting up all the prepper caches throughout the island.

• Upvote 1