Some wishlist items

Sito

Chimney smoke.
Replace the stringy smoke with a real smoke effect like was in the survival menu when PV was introduced. Make it real since you guys already know how to do it. It obviously does not change the game but it really adds to some realism when I just pause the game and watch the menu scene. Yes I do that. The game is that good that I often just want to watch the menu scene and listen to the weather.

Menu music.
Bring back the previous music since release of EP1. I love all the music in the menus. Maybe randomly play each one. Each one was awesome in its own way. I would never start the game until the music finished. Often I would start it again just to experience it.  The one from EP1 was so haunting I listened again and again.

Elegy. Poem of the Long Dark.
Put it on a menu to play. It is so awesome! And a memorial to Christopher Plummer. When I first saw this I knew Hinterland was something different. And the music I mentioned above. This is some next level studio. I watch this video again and again. It totally encapsulates what TLD is. Everyone should know about this Poem regardless of what platform they are on. 

Tone down the banging during a blizzard.
Yes I have lived in a cabin in Northern Alberta during strong winds and blizzards and the banging of everything loose is totally realistic. But we are all now city folk. Please, just the wind sound and the cabin creaking. Nix the banging. The city folk don't get it and the rest of us from the real north don't want to remember it.

Hinterland, Y'all are awesome. What you have made is a work of art. Every one of you who have contributed to this piece of entertainment  and enjoyment are to be commended.

• Upvote 4

I've gotten used to most of the banging when the wind blows.  What I have noticed more recently are loud bangs when the wind is not blowing at all... wonder if this is a sign to another earlhquake coming?

I'm OK with asking that it be toned down, but I would also consider that it might have a story purpose.

The banging sounds inside the farmstead can get annoying because of their volume which would infer something is about to break on the house.  It could be reduced in volume by half and be less of an irritant and still indicate that strong winds were present. Better to have it vary in intensity with the presumed wind conditions outside but that may be beyond the current mechanic's capacity.  

Maybe have the blizzard wind sounds become more prevalent than the near complete silence I have been seeing since a couple of updated ago.   I keep getting amazed to hear little inside and then step onto the enclosed porch or out a door to see a raging blizzard going on.  

6 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I've gotten used to most of the banging when the wind blows.  What I have noticed more recently are loud bangs when the wind is not blowing at all... wonder if this is a sign to another earlhquake coming?

I'm OK with asking that it be toned down, but I would also consider that it might have a story purpose.

I haven't noticed any banging, but i have been hearing a lot of creaking... In the middle of wilderness. I don't think The trees Make that noice. 

I've also noticed a lot of ambient sounds inside some buildings, like carter hydro. Ambient sounds are a good thing, but they are so freaking frequent and spammy. I don't know If it's a Bug or what but it often does get annoying.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Boneviolin said:

I haven't noticed any banging, but i have been hearing a lot of creaking... In the middle of wilderness. I don't think The trees Make that noice. 

I've also noticed a lot of ambient sounds inside some buildings, like carter hydro. Ambient sounds are a good thing, but they are so freaking frequent and spammy. I don't know If it's a Bug or what but it often does get annoying.

Where I'm mostly noticing them has been in Desolation Point and, more recently, in Milton.  They are far more frequent and louder than they were before this update (which on Xbox is the first update after the change in game structure, so maybe I'm noticing stuff that PC players have just learned to live with from their previous update - don't know).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 10:49 PM, Sito said:

Menu music.
Bring back the previous music since release of EP1. I love all the music in the menus. Maybe randomly play each one. Each one was awesome in its own way. I would never start the game until the music finished. Often I would start it again just to experience it.  The one from EP1 was so haunting I listened again and again.

I so deeply miss the first music in the intros. I purchased the DLC music, but that isn't quite the same.  Could we please have the option to have the older themes instead of the singing.

• Upvote 2

I am thinking to go play the time capsules to experience again the wonder of discovery that The Long Dark has always been. Not just the changing menu music but also the subtle change to graphics quality and sounds that Hinterland introduces without fanfare. I remember after playing a new update for a while that the sky colors and gradients were vastly improved over the previous version without HL every saying anything about it. I only noticed because I liked to stand my guy on PV porch and watch the sunset and after the update it was so much improved.

• Upvote 1