My thoughts on the DLC's Second Update.

After experiencing most of the DLC, I just felt like sharing my thoughts.

So far, after exploring the new hub, and airfield region, I AM LOVING them! I didn't go to the new regions for the first DLC update because of spending a ton of time prepping for the journey, which ultimately took long enough for the second part to come out. 

I love how calm the hub region is. It truly feels like someplace new compared to the classic regions of Great Bear. Plus, the different transition zones you have to traverse are amazing, bringing so many feelings of wonder, as well as unease traveling through the dark train tunnels, hearing the slight whisper of air and crumbling rocks.

Glimmer fog is such an interesting concept, as having the effect of the aurora take place during the day, as well as having an actual influence over the player, and not just the animals with insomnia brings so many questions. 

Acorns are cool! Probably my only complaint is needing to use a heavy hammer to smash them down, instead of a stone, or even the handle of the hatchet, but at the same time I understand needing to balance a renewable source of food and coffee. I also enjoy how long it takes just to prep the acorns for eating/brewing, making me interested if we're going to receive more complex recipes in the future. 

I will also say that the smooth animations for repairing the transmitter towers didn't get unnoticed, they are top notch!

Lastly, some small things that bug me:

I do feel bad for interloper players for not being able to participate in the tale, which is understandable, since the reward is more suited for the other difficulties. Though an Idea I had was to replace the rifle holster with a quiver for interloper players when playing on the Interloper difficulty, but I don't know.

Probably the last thing I was sad about is being unable to repair, or make the new survivor bow introduced with the pt. 1 update. It has such an awesome design, but being the collector I am, I don't want to use and break it if it can't be repaired. (I guess this gripe is just a personal thing lol)

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramblings. Overall Hinterland, you've done a fantastic job with this update! Can't wait to see what ells you've got up your sleeve in the future! Thank you for making these in the first place!

Have a good day everyone!

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I agree! 

Hinterland has done fantastic with this Part 2.

I have completed the tales and they are very well done and will surely add to the Wintermute story when Ep 5 comes out. I am eager to find out how the tales fills in Ep 5.

Overall Part 2 has invigorated my game and I am looking forward to finding all the prepper caches across the regions.

Good on you Hinterland!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, Sito said:

Overall Part 2 has invigorated my game and I am looking forward to finding all the prepper caches across the regions.

Same here!!

Also, I previously had zero interest in visiting HRV, then had to go in the context of the tale, and now am looking forward to exploring it more.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Same here!!

Also, I previously had zero interest in visiting HRV, then had to go in the context of the tale, and now am looking forward to exploring it more.

HRV is quite awesome once you build your mental map of where everything is. I make bases in 2 caves. One on each side of the river and explore out from there then go up to Mammoth Lake ( I think it is called.)

• Upvote 1

Just finished part 2

and really like the voice acting and the story telling. It reminds me a bit of cyan world's Riven. I really wanna find out more about the events around Mister Rüdiger.

I think to make the Tale work on Interlooper requires a tonnload of additional work and i felt as an interloper player it was quit interesting to return to the Stalker difficulty which revolves more around shooting wovles

Great work from Sorrell and her Team - thanks for the week of great gaming

Edited by Neromancer

On 4/4/2023 at 7:20 PM, Smellyfries said:

I didn't go to the new regions for the first DLC update because of spending a ton of time prepping for the journey, which ultimately took long enough for the second part to come out. 

My bold. I just wanted to reiterate how that is a huge reason so many Interlopers aren't happy about being left out, especially considering there was no warning.

I just hacked my way into it the other day. So, I'm now on survival day 119 in Interloper, and have repaired the first 2 towers I found, and I just had a nap after exploring the first bunker I made it to. I'm enjoying this a lot, it's quite a challenge in Interloper difficulty. Just the kind of thing I was hoping for! As for loot, thus far I haven't found anything overpowered. 2 foodstuff items, possibly, but I left them where I found them. I've got more meat than I know what to do with, due to all the aurora wolves/bear I've killed in my wake. I've left a trail of raw meat like breadcrumbs. 😁

Edited by Kranium