non sequitur...

@Leeanda
yes, the cab walls are all currently made of barrels.  
Maybe not the most creative thing, but I kind of like the look and I couldn't argue with the utility. 🤭
Still not done yet... it's all still mostly just a framework.  I feel like there is a lot more work to do (blend in more wood types... etc).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Also did more caving... but now that the hotfix has been out a few days, I may get back to my main run soon.

Edited by ManicManiac

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
yes, the cab walls are all currently made of barrels.  
Maybe not the most creative thing, but I kind of like the look and I couldn't argue with the utility. 🤭
Still not done yet... it's all still mostly just a framework.  I feel like there is a lot more work to do (blend in more wood types... etc).

Also did more caving... but now that the hotfix has been out a few days, I may get back to my main run soon.

Well plenty of storage is always a good selling point..   tld is the same😊

• Upvote 2

I like how it looks from the outside... but I'm not sure about how the cabin is shaping up.
🤔 Maybe the all barrels idea, was too many barrels...  I don't know.
Not sure what to use instead... the walls all look a little odd from the opposite end, but perhaps that will look better when I get actual glass for the windows. 

2023-07-04_21_19_01.thumb.png.3400f0104b88ae70d22b3b0eb4623ecc.png2023-07-01_14_25_24.thumb.png.d9f49330c8400a7e6525bcee6223c6f3.png2023-07-06_15_31_01.thumb.png.0cacfddc383dfb794f4eea19465b32e2.png

Works great to fend off attackers though... :D 
2023-06-29_20_41_37.thumb.png.03c67b6bcebc51e3b0bee9eb9e9d7590.png

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Able to spend a few days working on the cabin... even have a kitchen now.
I can't wander far yet, I'm kind of tethered to the river (for water) and living hand to mouth (in terms of food).  Though, with the kitchen done, I can use what I find in the forest to prepare more filling and nutritious meals. 

On day 10, I had a visitor.
AmongTreesScreenshot11.thumb.png.23dd9b847f2dada6a2e20f166dcf77f4.pngAmongTreesScreenshot15.thumb.png.a4314d0c302bf98649f43b3e37fc890b.pngAmongTreesScreenshot13.thumb.png.d09bc714579cba005d1a502cd7016ec6.pngAmongTreesScreenshot18.thumb.png.cabab9201581828dd530c69bd781f46e.pngAmongTreesScreenshot19.thumb.png.90c466edbbe87e65b469909274fd46f8.png
Looks like I have an indoor/outdoor fox friend now. :D 

AmongTreesScreenshot20.thumb.png.0f26ccb3f50d4ac40b048dda98adc8b6.png
The place is really coming along... a kitchen now, and more storage space in the attic.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Now that I have a fox friend... I really need to figure out fishing.
I'll starve before I'd let my fox friend go hungry. 

🤔I will have to think of a name for them.

That's sweet🙂.     But you do have to eat as well.   Maybe sharing a fish supper ?   

Well I hope you can think of one..... The only thing that comes to my mind is rusty 😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

AmongTreesScreenshot53.thumb.png.395dfea96145692e98fafbcafd8980c7.pngAmongTreesScreenshot54.thumb.png.1851532b79a110a24d99588524c892f9.png

Found a grizzly bear today... 😖  It was a close call.

hey @ManicManiacwould you recommend among trees? I've got $30 to blow on steam and I've been eyeing it for a bit, but a lot of the videos I saw a while ago, and the common theme was that it was gorgeous, but there was little content. Would you say its worth the price?

• Upvote 1

@Sasharr & Anyone curious about "Among Trees."

This was a game I'd had my eye on for a long time, and I've always liked what I'd seen of it.  The game was recently gifted to me, and I find it to be every bit as enjoyable as I'd hoped.

Something to say right up front... it seems that that the devs didn't have as supportive or large a community; the last I was aware... they've had to sort of abandon the game.  All that means, of course is that there won't be any more content updates... so what it has, is what it has.

That's not as bad as it sounds... because what it does have, it does pretty well.

Features currently in good status:
We have a cabin that we can "fix up" and build on to as we gather more resources.
This opens up Crafting, Cooking, and Cultivation (farming).

Additions the cabin: 
Attic (expanded storage)
Workshop (crafting)
Kitchen (cooking)
Greenhouse (cultivation)
[There's even more but don't want to spoil everything... but these are the basic expansions that unlock more of the games mechanics/features]

As you've seen from my mini-chronicle here... we also get the opportunity make a little fox friend. 
Even though it's technically "not finished," I do think it has enough of what it really needs to be a really nice survival sandbox.
The atmosphere is almost dream-like with the art style they chose.

All-in-all,
To more directly answer your question...  While I can only speak for myself, I think that all things considered it's more than worth the current $14.99 price tag on Steam / Epic.  After being able to spend some time in the world they've crafted, I'd say it's well worth the price... just so long as folks keep in mind that it's purely a survival sandbox at this point (and doesn't look like it's going to be updated any further).

From my point of view... I think that if folks would be interested in a more relaxed survival sandbox, but still having legitimate survival elements... then I think this game deserves a look.  This title does have many of the things that have shown up on wishlist threads in the past:

Animal companion, plant cultivation, "base building" (to a limited extent), mining (to a very limited extent), compass to help aid navigation, auto-updating area map, being able to chop down trees for lumber & sticks, respawning harvestables, and others (some things I don't want to spoil because exploring and discovering what's possible is kind of part of the fun).   ***While these are things that I've always felt wouldn't fit well in TLD... they do work rather well as the core features in this small and more relaxed survival sandbox.***

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

We can use an axe to harvest honey/honeycomb from bee nests... I wonder if we can use that to lure away the bear.
I have no idea if the game is that deep, but it might be some science to try sometime.  

That sounds good.    Well I hope you have something to defend yourself with against the bees or the bear..so I hope it works. Mr bear always needs food , except in tld apparently 😁

• Upvote 1