Drying clothes

Leeanda

Is there a reason why clothes take a lot longer to dry if you leave them on the floor?   I took a bit of a swim at coastal today and retreated into jackrabbit cabin to dry off.  I left three things on the floor and left the rest in my pack,(not sure why😄 . Anyway after 4 hours the clothes in my pack were fully dried whereas the ones on the floor were still over 90% wet.   The indoor temp was +3c so that was no problem.  I've also noticed that sewing them dries them very quickly too.  

Is this just a weird mechanic or am I missing  something?

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

I don't have the answer to your question, but I can tell you for sure that some items take much longer to dry than others even from the same "state" of wetness.  Maybe that's confusing the issue.

I put two cowichans and an expo coat on the floor .  In theory they should take the longest due to thickness.  The military coat was in the pack which I think of as thinner.  I did notice that my insulated boots dried quicker than my socks in the backpack.. same with the bunny hat versus the long wool scarf.  It seems pretty random and doesn't make much sense to me.

The crampons never even got wet which they used to do.  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

I've noticed that clothing we keep wearing seems to thaw and dry a little faster than clothes dropped on the ground ("indoors," I mean).  That always felt a little weird to me... I'd aways assumed/hoped that the proximity to and temperature of a heat source would make a difference... but part of me thinks that the only factor that seemed to be considered is whether it's "indoors."  🤔

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I've noticed that clothing we keep wearing seems to thaw and dry a little faster than clothes dropped on the ground ("indoors," I mean).  That always felt a little weird to me... I'd aways assumed/hoped that the proximity to and temperature of a heat source would make a difference... but part of me thinks that the only factor that seemed to be considered is whether it's "indoors."  🤔

It is very odd ..   I have some spare time so I might try a few different scenarios  ,even outside with a fire .  Not sure if it's intentional or just an oversight  but worth checking anyway.  

• Upvote 1

May also be a bug in the mechanic... I do remember a time when it was optimal for me to come inside and drop wet clothes next to the fire in order to make sure they were dry by the time I got up the next morning.  I remember that it used to be that "sleeping" in wet clothes seemed to consistently result in clothes that were still damp after a night's rest.  🤔

I admit, I can't know for sure... it's possible that those were just how I was interpreting events, and interpreting them incorrectly (since of course I have no real insight on the actual inner working of the mechanics we're talking about).

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I have slept in wet clothes and had them still wet later too but that was a while ago  There was also  crampons not drying at all . So a bug is likely too.  I'll still give it a testing though . Throwing myself into the sea for the sake of science should be fun!😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

I've done a bit of experimenting this morning..    I don't think it makes any difference but this run is pilgrim but with colder over time on highest setting  and I'm on day 35 .

First try I left climbing socks and gauntlets inside. 

Outside I had a fire temp was 24c.  .removed half the clothes without dropping them.. it took 4 hours to dry everything except the two cowichans. They took three times longer to dry than everything else. I should note that leaving coats on top of the sweaters makes drying time a lot longer, unsurprisingly..   placing items on the floor next to the fire makes no difference either.

The socks inside were also dry after four hours but the gauntlets were still mostly wet .  They took about 14 hours in total to dry. 

The second attempt was inside with no fire.. again temp was 3c. 

I took half of the clothes off but still in my pack. The other half I left on the floor.  It made no difference to the drying time.  

There is an order of quickest to slowest overall..

The rabbit hat was first ,followed by the long John's,then insulated boots,socks,snow pants,earwraps,moose sack,expo and military coat,long wool scarf,cowichans and lastly the gauntlets.   

The crampons never got wet at all.  I know they used to because I had a bug where they never dried at all.  

I might try leaving everything on overnight to see how that goes.. and if it doesn't kill me I'll try it without sleeping outside too.  Hopefully I've got plenty of hot coffee and tea.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 3

Sleeping with all clothes on.. 

After two hours,which is how long it took for me to warm up,instead of one or less.   The  long John's were completely dry..  after another two hours the snow pants,earwraps,socks,boots and the expo coat were dry.. one hour later the bunny hat,moose sack,military coat were also dry. The cowichans and gauntlets were stil about 85% wet and the long wool scarf about 25% wet. . The scarf took another two hours to dry. And the jumpers and gauntlets took a further ten hours .   

I think I might change those gauntlets into something less water tolerant😁

• Upvote 2

Doing nothing ...  By which I mean leaving everything on and walking round coastal ,I looted two cabins quickly and I used a torch and a tea buff once.  It was already minus temps before I got wet. Seems the colder over time is now kicking in!😁.  I spent most of the daylight hours just walking around. It was -24c. .  at the end of my time my clothes were still 99% frozen except the long John's which were 98%.wet.  my warmth never went higher than about 25% even with a tea buff ,even inside.   

I was surprised to note that the lantern gives off more heat than a full torch by 3%.  

Overall I wouldn't recommend doing nothing😄.  

But there are some strange inconsistencies between which clothes dry faster in which conditions.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 3

This is some wonderful testing.  Taking the time to really thoroughly test and play with a single mechanic to really find the scope and limits can be a laborious and tedious thing.  Again, thanks so much for all this good science.

image.png.6c9685eb044024bbb0266389881713e1.png
It's times like this I wish I could give more than just one upvote per post.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

This is some wonderful testing.  Taking the time to really thoroughly test and play with a single mechanic to test their scope and limits can be a laborious and tedious thing.  Again, thanks so much for all this good science.

image.png.6c9685eb044024bbb0266389881713e1.png

Thank you. Love the pic😁.   

I have left her in the mine ,still freezing and if I can I'd like to see how long she can go  (or how far the clothes will dry) before she has to sleep or seek warmth.    Luckily coastal has been sunny every day for 6 days straight... Also an oddity!😁.   Still waiting on the blizzards!

Edited by Leeanda
Stupid notepad doing what it feels like doing!!!!!
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

The crampons never got wet at all.  I know they used to because I had a bug where they never dried at all.

I don't think they should get wet, due to being metal, not cloth.

However, they should rust if not cared for, using, say, oil. hmm Perhaps rust could be a wish list discussion. Need to occasionally oil one's metal tools with fish oil... 🤔

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kranium said:

I don't think they should get wet, due to being metal, not cloth.

However, they should rust if not cared for, using, say, oil. hmm Perhaps rust could be a wish list discussion. Need to occasionally oil one's metal tools with fish oil... 🤔

You have a point there,they shouldn't..  not sure when it changed but I only noticed it today..  

• Upvote 1

From what I can tell... they appear to be a metal frame and likely leather straps.

Personally, I think a "wetness"/"frozen" status at all doesn't really add or really impact anything, considering it's a thing that doesn't provide a warmth bonus or wind resistance of any kind... so I'm fine with that not even being something that the PC or Console has to waste time calculating or keeping track of.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

From what I can tell... they appear to be a metal frame and possibly leather straps.

Personally, I think a "wetness"/"frozen" status at all doesn't really add or really impact anything, considering it's a thing that doesn't provide a warmth bonus or wind resistance of any kind... so I'm fine with that not even being something that the PC or Console has to waste time calculating or keeping track of.

I actually had a quick look at them close up on fandom and the straps look like metal,copper  really..   but I thought the straps were leather too.  I also question whether they should be classed as clothing and not tools.  It wouldn't be hard to put them on from inventory the same way we pull weapons out,would it?   It'd also give us more room on the clothing slot.

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda
Perhaps so... I was just mentioning what it looked like to me when compared to their tangible counterparts.  I have no way to know for sure. :D 

28 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I also question whether they should be classed as clothing and not tools

I'd say no... sure they take up an accessory slot... but I wouldn't really call them clothing either.
I'd tend to think that "tool" is a good classification... I kind of feel the same way about the satchel.  I can't really see that being called clothing either.  It's essentially a utility bag.  

I'm good with both of them taking up an accessory slot though... clothing or not, they are definitely accessories to the gear we wear.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
In any case... I didn't mean to be going over things you already knew... more that I was just agreeing with you. 

My knowledge of crampons doesn't go past this game so not a problem🙂.  My eyesight isn't great anyway so I thought it looked more like metal than leather.   More trustworthy and probably a lot less prone to rust than copper😁

• Upvote 2

It was a long ,cold,slow walk back to pv farm...  Herbal tea doesn't give me a heat buff for some reason and I just had enough coffee on me to get back safely.  Don't think I've had frostbite or hypothermia before😁. The only things that were not frozen and drying were the long John's. Albeit very slowly. 

After getting back to the farm I slept for an hour ,the underwear was nearly dry. Everything else still frozen. After two hours most of the gear was no longer frozen but wet in varying degrees.  After eight hours sleep everything was dry except the cowichans ,long wool scarf and gauntlets which were,and still are frozen!   I've swapped out the gloves for mittens ,they might be the warmest after the bunny gloves but taking that long to need to dry is a major no no for me. 

I'm on my way to keepers south then BlackRock but I doubt any of them will have started thawing.  

This system has some very odd mechanics to it and as I said before,whether they are intentional or bugged I'm not sure. It was kind of fun trying it out though. But not something I'm going to try again😁

• Upvote 1