Orange condition

Odinn

When it drops below 50% it turns orange. I do not talk only about the meat but in general if you will eat anything, for example a granola bar or drink a soda that is below 50%, is there a chance that you will get a food poisoning?

Once I ate a can of dog food and got food poisoning from that, at first I thought that maybe it was because it was a dog food but then I realized it might have been because of it's condition...

Also what about medicines, if they are under 50% (orange) any chance they won't work?

How about tools? I actually finished some tools until the condition was 0% which made them ruined beyond repair, I could only harvest them for scrap, is there a chance that they will break even if the condition is for example 20%?

Only from personal experience: Never got food poisoning from Granola bars, canned food or the like, even when condition was low. However, did get food poisoning from rabbit meat which was at somewhere between 80 and 90%.

Never had a tool break before condition was down to 0%.

Well I tend to wait with eating scavenged food until it gets to slightly above 50%, everything below that I consume immediately as I fear for the higher chance of food poisoning, maybe the dev's could shine some light on that?

...maybe the dev's could shine some light on that?

Why? The only thing you need to know is, that some food has higher chance of food poisoning than other. You can find the rest yourself. Where is the fun, if the devs tell us everything :)

Well I tend to wait with eating scavenged food until it gets to slightly above 50%, everything below that I consume immediately as I fear for the higher chance of food poisoning, maybe the dev's could shine some light on that?

I've already gotten food poisonings from canned food (pork& beans, MREs and sardine cans so far). Pork and beans were at 65% condition, sardines at 30%, the MRE at 20%. I have no idea what about granola bars/chocolate/beef jerky, etc. but it might be the same (very low) overall chance.

I wouldn't think about it too much, though. It's really not very likely to get a food poisoning from these things, and it may happen at white condition as well as at lower conditions, just like with meat.

However, I guess it might get more probable with worse condition - the difference between 0,5% and e.g. 3x 0,5% is just rather little and hard to notice while playing. You usually don't eat thousands of pieces of canned food in a row, after all. That's the problem with personal experiences - everything a player may tell you is based on a rather low number of trials. ;)

Anyway, your strategy doesn't seem to be bad, just stick to it if you like.^^

Also what about medicines, if they are under 50% (orange) any chance they won't work?

They always worked for me so far (even 5% Antiseptic).

The chance of getting food poisoning starts at 70% (if I remember correctly, could be 75%) for packaged foods and cooked meat/ fish. (Raw meat can give you food poisoning even at 100% and I've never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from raw (or cooked) fish.) The lower the condition of the food, the higher the change of getting food poisoning.

Cooked meat has a higher chance of giving you food poisoning than packaged food, and raw meat has a (much) higher chance still. That said, from v.170 on I have eaten loads of raw meat both at high and low condition and have attracted food poisoning only once or twice. So chances aren't real high even for raw meat. This can be changed in a future update of course.

You can ignore the condition of medicine, they don't degrade and always work.

From personal experience: I've had a can opener ruined before I thought it should have hit 0%, but it's possible it's condition was simply lower than I thought. I had been using it quite a bit. Other than that, I've never had a tool break on me, even at very low condition (unless the action I performed took the remainder of the condition, but that's normal).

Edit: just an afterthought: food poisoning isn't lethal, even without medicine. You can "sleep it off". Just sleep a lot, make sure you drink plenty of water and wait until it passes. Your condition will drop to 10% (I think) and hold there. Once the food poisoning passes, eat, drink and sleep to heal back up.

... and I've never heard of anyone getting food poisoning from raw (or cooked) fish.)

Now you have. ;)

I've gotten a food poisoning from 90-95% (freshly caught) raw fish at least ten times yet.^^

Me too. It seems, that the chance is bigger when you eat more raw food at once (eg. 1200 cal raw fish meat)

...maybe the dev's could shine some light on that?

Why? The only thing you need to know is, that some food has higher chance of food poisoning than other. You can find the rest yourself. Where is the fun, if the devs tell us everything :)

It's not like I haven't tried but I do not control if I get a food poisoning now do I? I don't see how explaining this part would take away any amount of fun, it's a question about game mechanics, nothing else.

Other then that it is cool to hear from your own experiences guys, mostly I was wondering about the tools, if the prybar is 10% and I am going to a place where there might be one locked locker or a car, I would like to know if I should bring 2 with me in case. Same goes for other tools, they are quite heavy so I would like to know the mechanics :)

When you eat enough of food, you can find, what gives you food poisoning and what not. And when.

Look at condition of a prybar before and after and you have precise value. One prybar with 90% is more then enough even for Coastal Highway..

When you eat enough of food, you can find, what gives you food poisoning and what not. And when.

Look at condition of a prybar before and after and you have precise value. One prybar with 90% is more then enough even for Coastal Highway..

I'm sorry but you seem to be missing the point, I am asking if it will break, not if the condition will run out.

As for the food well, I have been playing since January and had food poisoning from meat and dog food, nothing else, I guess I'm just extremely lucky and so I ask other people about their experiences and if it is possible to get it from other types of food ;)

Food poisoning used to happen much much more in older versions but has been turned way down sometime late 2014. The chance is now so low you can play for a very long time without getting food poisoning. I don't think I've gotten food poisoning since before the v.170 update. A bit of luck always helps of course.

About the tools. Your talking about say a 10% tool breaking when performing an action that would normally take 2% of the condition. Like I said earlier, it may have happened to me once with a can opener, but I'm not sure. It's condition could simply have been lower than I thought. If it is possible, it's something new as this has never happened in earlier versions of the game.

I have received food poisoning once and it was from drinking bad water (I clicked on the wrong container). I have eaten raw fish that were fresh caught, no problem. I have taken raw meat, dropped it in the "fridge" and finally cooked it when it went orange... then waited for the cooked meat to turn orange to eat it. I think if it was in an orange state and I could eat it, I have.

It really does not make any sense for raw meat to go bad in under a six months if you pack it in ice or prep it well. I hunt game, hang it in a tree, dress it and toss it into a cooler. I get a fire going, drop the coals in a hole and then drop the head into the hole and cover it. You eat the heart and the best cut of meat that night. Next morning, you eat the head (preferably with tortillas but I have used johnny cakes). There is a ton of meat in the neck, cheek, tongue, etc. I then take the meat in the cooler home and process it. I have jerked venison and had it edible a year later (I jerk the leg meat with the ligaments/tendons mostly intact). I grind the "cheaper" cuts, leaving the steaks and roasts. You pack those into the freezer and eat on them until next season. Organ meat is used for menudo or other organ stews, but I prefer to cook that asap. Frozen tripe and other sweat breads just are not good IMHO. I honestly don't truck with wasting anything I can possibly use if I am going to take a life. I really don't see why the player would be any different, and they are not just taking a life they are fighting to survive. I don't care if it is deer, feral hog, scrub buck, peccary, squirrel, possum or rabbit.

If it is one thing the player has in abundance in the game... its ice. Let us store the meats for longer periods on ice, smoked or jerked. Also if we know a portion of the meat is bad... let us cut if off. If the edge is freezer burned or starting to rot, that does not mean all of it is. I would rather cut away 80% of the meat and eat 20% than toss out 100%.

It does seem kind of weird that raw meat goes bad so quickly when it's all essentially frozen.

I've had a crowbar break (it was more than 10%, but I don't remember exactly how much more). It broke as I was opening a locker in Coastal Highway, and the locker from that point was ruined and could not be opened at all, even with a new crowbar.

I've had a crowbar break (it was more than 10%, but I don't remember exactly how much more). It broke as I was opening a locker in Coastal Highway, and the locker from that point was ruined and could not be opened at all, even with a new crowbar.

So it's possible for a tool to break, at least when it's condition is low. And if the tool breaking stops you from performing the action you were trying to do, that's another decision for the player to make: will I use this 10% prybar and risk not being able to open that locker ever or do I look for a new prybar/ repair my prybar? I think this is a nice touch :)

Archived