Firestarting skill question

Deseoso

I noticed that you get XP in this skill both from lighting a fire with or without an accelerant. What I cannot tell is if you get more XP from lighting a fire without using an accelerant than you do if you use one. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

The materials you use don't matter so much as whether the attempt succeeds for fails.
There's a pretty inexpensive way to "practice" fire starting; for those who want to.

Needed materials/conditions:
Magnifying Lens
Tinder Plugs (we can harvest sticks to make tinder plugs - just in case we run low)
Sticks
Sunny Day

On a sunny say we can sit outside and use the mag-lens to light a single stick... and then let it burn out.
Wash, rinse, repeat until our Fire-Starting Skill is up to where we want it (or until the sunshine goes away due to weather change).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Generally, I don't do this, but it's something that we can do if we want.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I tend to lay campfire trails (magnifying lens, tinder and a stick, though having the badge makes the tinder superfluous other than for role-playing purposes) which is one way to do something useful with the campfires (they don't go away over time) that can be seen in pretty bad weather (blizzard, dense fog, most nights) rather than wander around aimlessly. 

I play Pilgrim so predators would not be a problem.  

Be careful and good luck.