Do I have to start new playthrough if I buy DLC?

ฺBeastGuy

I just bought the game and haven't bought the DLC because I don't know if I like this game or not.

After playing few hours, I like this game so I'm thinking of buying this DLC. However, I have questions below

Do I have to start new playthrough after install DLC?

If yes, what will happen after they add new contents every 8 - 10 weeks for this DLC? Do I have to start new playthrough every time?

If no, will the new items be spawned in the area I already visited and looted all of them?

The only time you would have to start a new play through is if you owned the game when Wintermute and Survival were a package together.  If you recently purchased the Survival mode of TLD, it will automatically update with the drops every 8-10 weeks.  
Yes, it will likely effect areas you’ve already been through. 

Lots of good info in the October Dev Diary.  

Welcome to the community!

On 12/20/2022 at 7:50 AM, ฺBeastGuy said:

If yes, what will happen after they add new contents every 8 - 10 weeks for this DLC? Do I have to start new playthrough every time?

According to Hinterland, no.  Save games shouldn't be messed with for quite some time now (I hope!!)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 6:50 AM, ฺBeastGuy said:

I just bought the game and haven't bought the DLC because I don't know if I like this game or not.

After playing few hours, I like this game so I'm thinking of buying this DLC. However, I have questions below

Do I have to start new playthrough after install DLC?

If no, will the new items be spawned in the area I already visited and looted all of them?

On 12/21/2022 at 4:22 PM, Gwynren said:

Welcome! If you started a new playthrough after the launch of the Expansion Pass, you won't have to start a new game just because you got the DLC – I'm pretty sure the content will be added to your gameplay. Perhaps @Admin can confirm?

If you are already playing on the latest version, you should not lose your progress. As a reminder, new content will continue to release over the coming months as part of the overall Expansion Pass, and we completely understand if you'd rather wait. We hope you enjoy the Far Territory whenever you're ready to start exploring it -- we appreciate your support, and welcome to THE LONG DARK! 

For more information on the Expansion Pass, please visit: https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/