blizzard wind blowing inside cabin?

So, am camping out at Mindful Cabin, got a roaring fire going in the potbelly stove.  my feel like temp is 69C and there's a raging blizzard going on outside.  looking out the windows, (nice touch by the way Hinterland) the snow is blowing sideways across the screen  and you can't see more than a few meters out the windows.

anyways, the wind is also visibly blowing thru the interior of the cabin and the wind shield indicator is appearing on my screen.  hmmm, okay I get that an old cabin might be a little drafty, but seeing the wind blow thru the cabin?  ummm, is it just me or should that not be happening?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

So, am camping out at Mindful Cabin, got a roaring fire going in the potbelly stove.  my feel like temp is 69C and there's a raging blizzard going on outside.  looking out the windows, (nice touch by the way Hinterland) the snow is blowing sideways across the screen  and you can't see more than a few meters out the windows.

anyways, the wind is also visibly blowing thru the interior of the cabin and the wind shield indicator is appearing on my screen.  hmmm, okay I get that an old cabin might be a little drafty, but seeing the wind blow thru the cabin?  ummm, is it just me or should that not be happening?

Not enough oakum in the gaps 😂

• Upvote 1

I hope its a Bug. You know if it protects from Glimmer Fog? I have read somewhere that only the instanced Shelters do, and i hope thats wrong. I love the Mindful Cabin, its the only Shelter in the Game that comes close to trappers with its Comfyness. If it would only have a Workbench, that could be my potential TFT Base. And it will probably be anyway, since i cant imagine "living" in a Hangar :P

Edit, its true. Mindful Cabin does not protect from Glimmer fog. Actually had Glimmer Fog for the 2nd Time while cooking in Mindful Cabin, and the Insomnia meter keeps getting fuller. That makes this beautyful cabin unsuitable for a Base

Edited by Shadox

15 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Pretty sure that's a straightforward limitation. I've observed the same thing for many years in places like Mountaineer's or in caves. I can understand how trying to properly clip the effect to make it look like it's outside but not inside could be seriously computationally intensive... and depending on how the clipping is implemented it may not be possible without a major rewrite of the weather code.

5 hours ago, Shadox said:

You know if it protects from Glimmer Fog?

It does not. Neither of the cabins, nor any of the caves protect from Glimmer Fog. I haven't completely verified for myself, but I suspect that the only place that does is the deep basement in the Hangar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

Pretty sure that's a straightforward limitation. I've observed the same thing for many years in places like Mountaineer's or in caves. I can understand how trying to properly clip the effect to make it look like it's outside but not inside could be seriously computationally intensive... and depending on how the clipping is implemented it may not be possible without a major rewrite of the weather code.

ahh well what you gonna do?

Too bad though as it kinda breaks the immersive feel for the game to me.  Like I said, I'd fully expect an old cabin to be drafty if there were noticeable holes in the walls, roof, like at the mountaineer's hut on TWM and especially if there were broken windows in the cabins.   But not in a structure that is bascially 100% intact like Mindful Cabin and the one on Drift Island.  Heck the wind even blows in sideways when the player is in the furthest most protected areas of a cave, not straight in from the open mouth of the cave but sideways thru the solid rock walls.

...just a tad bit disappointing...

Yeah. Obvs I can't really know. but it's entirely possible this will be destined to be fixed down the line. Software dev is balancing dev time, reward, plus of course the question of what's viable on which hardware. They could maybe fix it for people with latest gen video cards, but the majority of the userbase is almost certainly still running gtx1060 era cards, and a lot of the time keeping the game viable on older hardware (and consoles!) means making hard decisions.

• 2 weeks later...