Fire starting

galadhlinn

So I'm not new to the game and have played many hours on interloper, but I haven't played in over a year. I have now gotten two rolls (saves) where I have searched, trappers cabin, deadfall cabin and camp office and died without ever finding a fire starting source. My settings are custom with item spawn set to medium. Is this just really bad luck, or have things changed (spawn pools, etc.)? I've probably played 10-12 saves total in the past and never not found a fire starting source between trappers and the office, so this seems strange.

Mystery Lake is the only region in the game that doesn't have guaranteed matches. This was before the DLC Update at least. With the free update, that comes also when you are not buying it, they have changed all the loot tables and spawning points. And because the DLC is still new, maybe they haven't changed the match spawns on ML,? So I would assume it's more likely bad luck ^^ I would change the map or go to different locations like the dam and the trailers or the fishing huts.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply!

Ya unfortunately, I've spawned both times on the west central side of the map, so trappers and the office made the most sense to get to before night. I just never thought neither of those places in two saves would not have matches, mag glass or flint/steel, nothing. I will try another map. I'm not frustrated, as this is what TLD is all about. I just didn't want to sink any more time into trying if something had changed that I should be aware of.

Thanks for the reply, Serenity.

Tinder and wood are not the problem for me, just the starter source (matches, striker, flare, glass). I found it so weird to have two saves in a row fail to find any of those at either trappers or the office, I felt compelled to post to make sure it wasn't just really dumb luck. It's looking like it was, tho  : P

I've done 2 Interloper runs spawning in FM and going to ML for light sources. Each time I did find fire starters but they were in some weird spots.

In terms of the office, both times I found a Mag lens behind the table near where the workbench is. 

First run I found matches in the trailers near the dam and logger's cabin.

Second run I found matches in a container at the dam (probably just random loot) and a firestriker in the train car sort of in the dead centre of the map, that you have to climb up the tree trunk to get to.

I think ML will always have 1-3 fire sources somewhere, but in places that pre-DLC you wouldn't expect.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, galadhlinn said:

Thanks for the reply!

Ya unfortunately, I've spawned both times on the west central side of the map, so trappers and the office made the most sense to get to before night. I just never thought neither of those places in two saves would not have matches, mag glass or flint/steel, nothing.

If I spawn in ML, I bee line out of the map. Either go Trappers -> full sleep -> Milton. Or Through Hydro Dam to PV. Or try the red wagon in FL, but also not guaranteed. On Loper the spawns are too non guaranteed to risk it.

• 1 month later...