No aurora

peteloud

After giving up with the game with no auroras I played another old Stalker game.  I had no problems with that.  After about three nights I had an aurora at the Blackrock prison. Previously I had no aurora after more than 20 nights.

Playing a Stalker game in Blackrock was no fun. On entering the Blackrock region from PV I had five timberwolf attacks in quick succession, probab;y around one minute after repelling one attck another started.  I think that is poor game design.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Dugclimbstrees said:

I started a new stalker survival mode. I was encouraged when there was an Aurora on night one. Unfortunately it has been 44 days and not one more. I suspect I am still suffering from some sort of glitch. 

That sounds just like mine... But I put it down to the lousy weather on stalker..

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

That sounds just like mine... But I put it down to the lousy weather on stalker..

I was thinking the weather was part of the problem too, but I can't envision the Dev's wanting players to go such an extended period of time with no Aurora. 44 days in-game is a significant amount of real-world play time. 

Just now, Dugclimbstrees said:

I was thinking the weather was part of the problem too, but I can't envision the Dev's wanting players to go such an extended period of time with no Aurora. 44 days in-game is a significant amount of real-world play time. 

I agree.. actually the aurora would make it ten times harder with all those wolves around..  

It could be both a bug and lousy weather but it's hard to tell.  Bleak would be the obvious place to test it out but as I'm new to stalker I'm not quite ready for that yet.

I'm sure that my problem of no aurora was a bug, but as mine was a game started in 2018 there were many anomalies and it thought it not worth mentioning to HTL.  I played another old Stalker game and had no problem with auroras.   As others are having a similar problem perhaps it is still a current bug.I must admit that I can't be bothered to try and explain the problem to HTL.

20 hours ago, Dugclimbstrees said:

Unfortunately it has been 44 days and not one more.

I'm sure you're aware but thought I would point it out anyways - aurorae can occur anytime at night.  I've seen some start early morning, so unless you're staying up all night or sleeping in 1-2 hour increments, you may miss it.

22 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm sure you're aware but thought I would point it out anyways - aurorae can occur anytime at night.  I've seen some start early morning, so unless you're staying up all night or sleeping in 1-2 hour increments, you may miss it.

Thanks for the thought. My 44 day playthough was made specifically for figuring out if auroras are bugged for me or something else. Alas, I adjusted my sleep schedule to stay up all night. I am positive I have not missed one. Now granted,  the weather on Stalker is pretty bad. Lots of snowy nights and blizzards. That being said, I really doubt DEV's want you to play 44 in-game days without an aurora. I made a custom playthrough with Stalker settings but bumped the aurora frequency from medium to high. That playthrough has experienced an aurora almost every clear night. So maybe I really do have terrible luck with my 44 day file, or my 214 day voyager run that took me to this thread in the first place. Hopefully I can get some clarification from the Dev's once the see my ticket. 

I doubt we will get to know the inner-workings of the code and how aurorae are determined.  That being said, there has got to be a RNG component to it, so it's always possible to have really bad luck, but it also sounds like others have also had REALLY bad RNG too so could be something broken.

I believe if you go 44 nights without an aurora, use the dev console to force it!  Like you said, I doubt HL intended that.