No aurora

peteloud

I have been waiting in Blackrock prison for an aurora to let me unlock the door to the workshop for 16 nights, and still have not had an aurora.   I have a ton of stuff for making ammunition, 855755791_screen_(-11322763)_653d2fda-8675-43d8-80ae-822aa2ca5e8b.thumb.png.be16d8736c92a26211c1ff5b42bbbd1f.pngand the code, but I can't get in. 

Is this just bad luck with the random generator or is there a bug?  Should I give up?

This is a game I started years ago, before Ash Canyon, played to over 500 days then lost interest for years.  I returned to it few days ago.  It is Stalker with one level less wolves, (perhaps all animals).  There seems to be a few anomalies with the locations in the Journal too.

In my experience the aurora won't turn up if I'm in the area I need to access.    Have you tried moving away from the prison area for a day or two?  

On the other hand , depending on difficulty , it could just be bad luck and the infamous blackrock weather pattern.

Leeanda,

It's no good moving away from the prison, I need to be there to open the door when there is an aurora.

turtle777,

If you have had to wait 30 days then my waiting 16 days, without an aurora if perhaps not as irregular as I suspected.

I have no revolver ammo. and few arrows so I am reluctant to move away until I can restock my ammo.  Thanks for your info.

It's only within a certain radius.  There must be somewhere close but not too close where you could stay..? 

I usually sleep in hour shifts then get moving as soon as it starts.    Maybe not ideal on stalker but could be worth trying as a last resort.

• Upvote 1

I guess the RNG controls the occurrence of the aurora and you seem to have gotten a bad run of random numbers.  

Although I have opened the access to the milling machine and work bench, I can get the feeling that the intervals between auroras seems long.  Of course when I start to think that the game decides to spring an aurora on me in the middle of the night or near the morning.  

You probably already have them but have 6 to 8 sticks or equivalent for each lead plate you want to cast into bullets.  I have a locker with 88 lead plates and I do not intend to cast them all into bullets.  I'd go out of my mind.  😨

Good luck.   

I have now passed 20 days waiting for an aurora and it hasn't happened.  I am about to give up.

While waiting for this I have been sleeping or passing time in the pickup truck near the workshop with the keypad and sleeping in short sessions so I think it unlikely that I have missed an aurora.

I have sufficient stocks of food and wood so that I do not have to leave the area so the game has just become endless sleep - pass time - eat/cook - sleep - pass time.

I have better things to do than play a game like has become that monotonous.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

There are a few more issues that I am not happy with too.

First is that I have discovered 275 locations but when I look at the surveyed locations it seems a low at only 88.

663384104_Journal1.thumb.png.997c01d866c1a9437aabc421922a9e4d.png

1417976594_Journal3.thumb.png.fd1980deb23cc781b6f0c15f4118ec0c.png1417976594_Journal3.thumb.png.fd1980deb23cc781b6f0c15f4118ec0c.png

Not only that Blackrock is missing from the list of Surveyed Locations

508853523_Journal2.thumb.png.e778174844c3371fc866b1cae18a5969.png

1275568211_Journal4.thumb.png.39595092b48c1f59001a077d12ba6468.png

I am puzzled why Hushed River Valley is Undiscovered in red.  I thought that I had been there, although I could be wrong about that.  That ia why I want to make some revolver ammo. and go to HRV, to check it out.

I assume that the problems is to do with my having started this game years ago and that the data format and processing for locations has changed.

I shall have one more night in Blackrock to see if there is an aurora.  If not I shall try getting out of Blackrock without being eaten by timberwolves. Once out I probably have stocks of arrows and ammo. spread around.

. . . . . . . . . .

I managed to get out of Blackrock without any attack from Timberwolves, so now it is easy once again.  Perhaps I'll go down to the Cannery in BI and wait for an aurora there.  I would feel much safer with some revolver ammo. for defence.

Edited by peteloud

I got to the cannery in BI and have been waiting ten days for an aurora.  Nine of those night were spent at the door of cannery workshop waiting for the aurora that hasn't come.

I now must conclude that there is a bug preventing the aurora.

I think I will give up with TLD until Episode 5 comes out.  Does anyone know when that might be?

The rumours say later next year.. 

Have you tried testing the aurora's on a different run?  Your current one might just be bugged ?  Custom runs seem to have more bugs than set levels.  There is still the problem of silent aurora's too.  The sound doesn't always come on.  But not getting them for that long in bleak does indeed sound very unusual.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:17 PM, peteloud said:

I have now passed 20 days waiting for an aurora and it hasn't happened.  I am about to give up.

While waiting for this I have been sleeping or passing time in the pickup truck near the workshop with the keypad and sleeping in short sessions so I think it unlikely that I have missed an aurora.

I have sufficient stocks of food and wood so that I do not have to leave the area so the game has just become endless sleep - pass time - eat/cook - sleep - pass time.

I have better things to do than play a game like has become that monotonous.

You’re  going to have to take Leenda’s suggestion.  She is right.  

Take the steam tunnels out to the other side of Blackrock and wait in the truck on that side.  Or in the turbine room.  Sleep in hour shifts.  Once the Aurora starts, book it back over.  
It’s not always random, sticking too close can and will cause the Aurora NOT to show.  
It’s programmed in, part of the challenge. 

Plus, you’re on custom.  
Don’t give up on this run

image.gif.463946188ef66604f71135b3d7f40f4b.gif

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

@peteloud, I seem to recall you are opposed to mods?  Anyways, there is a mod that enables the dev console, which you can use to activate an aurora.  Just an option.  Hate to see people give up the game (even for a time) because of an issue such as this.

It is better the HTL fix such issues than me continue the game with the help of a mod.  After a while when I am desperately bored I might get back to TLD and use the mod you suggest, thanks.

I decided to continue my game without getting access to the cannery workshop to make revolver ammo.

Considering it is a Stalker game with reduced number of wolves it is surprisingly easy, too easy. I have had hardly any bad weather.

I started the game a long time ago, before the revolver was added, and before I knew that maps could be made using charcoal.  This means I  have a lot of map-making to do.

• Upvote 1

I continued the game without making any ammo. until I fulfilled the Cartographic Challenge criteria, surveying 212 particular locations.  I did not see any auroras as I travelled around all the regions.  I actually visited 324 locations in this game which is below 344 of another game or two I've played. The Blackrock region did not appear at in the Journal/ Collections/ Surveyed Locations., so there are still a few bugs to sort out.

Normally I like to remove all of the black areas from the charcoal maps, but this time I couldn't be  bothered.  I have completed the Cartographic Challenge nine or ten times, so by now I am fairly familiar with the geography of Great Bear.  Once you know the layout of the land, the game becomes very tame compared to the suspense and excitment or your virgin games.  BTW, I do not use spoiler websites or the Whiteberry, or similar, maps wbich I think are very good.

I hate to admit it, but I found this game a tedious slog.  That is not a critcism of the game, I still think it is the greatest game I have played, but I have played it for a great many hours.  I'll not say how manyhours I have played as most people will not believe me.

Now I am waiting for the last episode. I dislike being negative, but there are so many loose ends to tie up which might interesting from the story point of view, I think the game play might be disappointing. 

What does interest me, is what will Raph and HTL produce next?

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1