Mod that makes snowfall not white at night-time

Satouthedeusmusco

One of my biggest gripes with the long dark is that snowfall is still painfully bright during the night time. Not only is this unrealistic (snow doesn't glow, it needs a lightsource to illuminate it), it's also quite literally painful on my eyes. Simply making snowfall dark at night would solve this. The snow would still block your vision and make it hard to navigate as it should, but it won't be downright uncomfortable anymore.

It might not look that bright in the attatched picture. But I promise It's really painful for me, especially when it's actually moving across my screen.

The second attatched picture is of nighttime snowfall in a different game. TheHunter Call of The Wild. While it's overall a much brighter game and has a very different artstyle from The Long Dark I still think it's a much better example of what night time snowfal should look like. Black. Those little black dots are snow. I think the snow in The Long Dark should be similairly black at night.

I've already for this on the wishlist forum but sadly I don't think we're ever getting it as an official feature, or even an accessibility feature. I love playing on endless night mode, but the painful look of the glowing snow is making it impossible for me to play it for an extended period of time.

238750352_screen_(6868254)_6673184b-8318-4485-8043-a2685a6ac088.png.6dc3d6353bab767d06b44ed53050e68b.png

COTWSnowfall.png

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

@Satouthedeusmusco

I agree. Nighttime navigation in TLD is almost impossible, even without the glowing snow.

I just want to preface this by saying I'm not in any way trying to shame anyone or come off as a braggart, but I can navigate Forlorn Muskeg at midnight in a raging blizzard with ehhh....maybe 90% accuracy. It all comes down to map knowledge and identification of landmarks. That said, it can be challenging, and I do still find myself walking in circles on occasion if I try to do something so brazen as to brave a blizzard in FM at midnight. Kind of the price I pay for my hubris. But navigating at night during a blizzard IS possible. Difficult, as it should be, but possible.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I just want to preface this by saying I'm not in any way trying to shame anyone or come off as a braggart, but I can navigate Forlorn Muskeg at midnight in a raging blizzard with ehhh....maybe 90% accuracy. It all comes down to map knowledge and identification of landmarks. That said, it can be challenging, and I do still find myself walking in circles on occasion if I try to do something so brazen as to brave a blizzard in FM at midnight. Kind of the price I pay for my hubris. But navigating at night during a blizzard IS possible. Difficult, as it should be, but possible.

The problem isn't losing your way. That's kind of the entire point. The problem is just that the unnaturally bright night time snowfall is painful on the eyes.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

The OP pretty clearly noted that it's a matter of it being difficult to look at and not an issue with navigation. I agree, it's the matter of harsh contrast that is difficult on the eyes. Minorly it's just bag rendering since there is no light source to cause this illumination.  Of course, nighttime snowfall should be hard to navigate, nobody is arguing against that.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1