I'm done with the game "The Long Dark" #2

Digitalius

If this post is deleted again and my account is banned, you already know why!

Hello. Let me start the post with TRUTH. Earlier, I wrote a post titled:
I'm done with the game "The Long Dark"

Does the forum administration do not like the casual conversation about my opinion and are trying to hide what is unfavorable for them?

In this post, I have listed subjectively why I'm finishing this game. I repeat:
- Repeatability - the game has fixed maps, they are not randomly generated, so a player like me remembers each map by heart, even in the dark I will hit the target.
- Mechanics - knowing each mechanic in depth, I can say that I only need 5 items in a backpack to survive everything in the game:
A revolver or a shotgun, matches, wood, a sewing kit, an ax.
- No building possible - the game would be more fun if you could put up a tent or a shelter in the wild. A good element would also be a smokehouse, where the meat of the hunted animals and skin could be smoked, not necessarily only in permanent locations. 

The storyline is the only thing that keeps me on this game as the survival mode has gotten boring. If multiplayer would enter, I suspect that it would be a boom for several hours, and then the servers would become empty. So it would be a shame to pay them off, and then the game would be dead.

And I described exactly these items, and the administration deleted the post, where there was a user response that I couldn't read anymore. Here is the proof in the photo:

1.thumb.png.f8e8eb1fae34e856b432326c3830617b.png

So the administration is here only to build a reputation and a HIPE for the game? Can't give subjective sentences to share the view with other users?
Does it hurt that the game "The Long Dark" sooner or later is doomed to failure, and you want to keep players a little longer in this magic bubble?

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Come on. That's a bit extreme.  If you're not happy about the game it's your choice not to play it. 

There's no need for bullying the company or anyone else.  Not fair , not fair at all. 

But it would be nice to expand the game with basic mechanics that brought it closer to survival, such as building a tent, if you have far away, dark and snowstorm to hide. So that the maps in this mode are also randomly generated, because permanent maps are not so much fun after hundreds of hours in the game. This is just my subjective opinion and of course I don't play the game anymore because I don't want to. I only left her to get to the end of the plot.

I'm not scaring anyone, I'd like to support the creators, but if they only keep content on the forum that they like, then the community is actually kept artificially.

Edited by Digitalius
one more words

4 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

We have snow shelters.  Close to the same thing game mechanics-wise.

Show how to sleep in this shelter, in addition to the mechanics of "Passing Time"

Everything in this world has become artificial and wooden, I suppose you will admit that to me. Nothing surprises anymore, so the game becomes predictable and no longer addictive.

Edited by Digitalius
one more words

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

If you want something adding to the game then that's what the wish list is for!   But your post just sounds angry and abusive! That's not going to help you or them!  

I understand perfectly. I just wanted to share my opinion. I was actively following the news for the game, expecting an update, posting my actions in the game and reporting a bug in the game.

And all of this was picked up on the forum in moments, as if I had done something wrong. I felt bad.

Just wanted to share why this game is not meeting my expectations anymore, and want to know if others feel the same.

11 minutes ago, Digitalius said:

Just wanted to share why this game is not meeting my expectations anymore

What I said in my original reply to you was that the game is eight years old.  If you find the game no longer interests you, I'd still say you did alright.  I've played for literally hundreds of hours and I think I paid $19.99 for it on Steam.  I can't complain.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

What I said in my original reply to you was that the game is eight years old.  If you find the game no longer interests you, I'd still say you did alright.  I've played for literally hundreds of hours and I think I paid $19.99 for it on Steam.  I can't complain.

I also do not regret the money spent, so I want to get to the bottom of the fact that if the game is going to die after a while, it would be nice to let new players, like those regular players, have some ground in the game that will allow them to pull game for several hundred hours. But if the game does not receive new mechanics, unfortunately people will forget about this game. This is just my opinion. To be able to do more in a game that has great potential.

Perhaps the issue here is how you've worded your title - beginning with "I'm done with this game."  At this point, I think HL is focused on finished what they promised 8 years ago.  At this point, they aren't going to redraft the game world to accommodate things like building tents and chopping down entire trees or adding in a slew of new animations to show the character actually doing things that were covered off by the "passing time" mechanic.  They are going to finish the story mode, which will likely add another, final new region to the game.  After that, they are going to leave it to modders to add the sort of features you're asking for in the OP.

Will they do a Long Dark #2 with refined mechanics on a more advanced engine?  I don't know.  Part of me would like to see them move onto a different game.  HL is a talented and creative team.  After 8 years, they deserve to move onto something that stretches their own creativity and imagination further than a Long Dark #2 would.  However, I would also love to see a newer version of TLD, i.e. Long Dark #2.  I know I'd buy it in a minute.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

You are dead wrong about the replay value of this game, I never looked a damn thing up and started on interloper--I have to assume you spoiled yourself and looked up all the maps. Try adjusting the difficulty in custom mode for an even greater challenge, use the interloper presets and change condition restore at rest/not at rest to low instead of medium; if you miss guns  maybe throw a revolver in. There is so much customization and different modes to play, also they literally just dunked a whole new map I haven't gotten to check out yet. 

image.thumb.png.979e748887cd3715274e6ee426d7d081.png

Just hit 1307 days in the game and it continues to get more fascinating for me. As resouces dwindle I have to adapt my outlook as well as behaviour. For example, to preserve cloth I've started switching to animal-only clothing, this has reduced my warmth bonus and suddenly those care-free strolls I enjoyed are hindered by less environmental protection and greater risk.

It's fine to lose interest in a game, it's almost inevitable. And you clearly care for the game or you wouldn't have posted in the first place, I assume. All I'm saying is everyone's experiences are different, don't be surprised when people defend something they clearly find value in even if that value is no longer relevant to you.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

These are the custom settings that I played on and I was bored with - the code I provide:

8sfM-/DMP-Pw+j-QZym-HUMK

I used this setting when a really relaxing game wasn't enough for me - that's why I sometimes played the code as a challenge. But making and having a bow and using it is easy.

Of course, I considered all the options here, how to make the game more difficult and more enjoyable, but throwing stones at the bear would only mean failure, or not using anything would lead to the game being pointless.

Edited by Digitalius
one more words

Closing thread.

The last post was removed due to needless speculation about the motives of the game team and the future of the game itself. Constructive criticism is welcome, and we have many examples of bug reports, questions, and suggestions throughout the forum where community members express frustration without resorting to personal comments. We have a list of forum rules and guidelines here: 

Most importantly, we state that, "The Hinterland Forums strive to be a place that is positive, inclusive, welcoming and comfortable." We remove posts that do not foster the type of inclusive, positive community we have built. Additionally, this thread breaks rules against posting "Re-post Closed, Modified, or Deleted Content." We suggest all community members read the guidelines fully before participating on the forums. 

Lastly, our last Dev Diary mentioned some pretty exciting changes coming in the near future, and we hope to share more information over the coming weeks. There's a lot to look forward to in the Quiet Apocalypse. 

• Admin locked this topic