Pulka

Alpenwolf

The possibility of being able to make a pulka would be great. It seems to me that it is less tiring to pull a sled than to carry a backpack over long distances and would allow more equipment to be carried.
Ex: 10 hardwood, 5 dried deer skins, 10 dried guts. 
Afterwards, it's up to you to try to tame a wolf or a deer to pull the sled. 😁

Maybe check with modders.

pulka.jpg

Edited by Alpenwolf

Too much added mechancis required... e.g. new character dialogue/animations within game to handle interactions with "tamed" wildlife.  A new AI for that "tamed" wildlife.  Also, our character can't currently hop over a curb in a parking lot, let alone drag a sled over any sort of uneven terrain and sleds in areas with ropes would be useless.  I think this is one best left for the modders.

19 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Not necessarily. Like the technical backpack found in the Ash Canyon, it could be implemented implicitly and guarantee a higher payload (+45lb for example). The only difference is that instead of finding it, we make it.

That seems to me to be a rather "cheap" way to implement it... just another arbitrary increase in carry weight.  How would you justify (lore-wise) Will's or Astrid's sudden ability to wrangle a sledful of supplies up a rope?

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

A dilemma that could add difficulty.
Get rid of my sled and choose what gear to keep, or keep my sled and find another way.

I'm obviously not understanding you on this.  The technical backpack is always equipped once found and the player always has the buff.  The moosehide sachel, conversely, can be unequipped and the carry weight buff is lost only at that point.  For the player to be unable to take everything in the sled up the rope, the sled would have to use a different mechanic than the technical backpack... i.e. a way of determining when and when not the player is using it.

I would think that practically it would be better used in larger open areas like coastal or PV.  In  places like HRV it would have to be constantly lugged up and down so many hills and rope climbs making it more of a hindrance than help.  But for lugging wolf carcasses and harvested bear/moose meat around I'd say yes.

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

Who said it was not possible? 😄😄

New Gameplay Systems: Electrostatic Fog, Insomnia, Shortwave Transponder, Travois, Trader, Safehouse Customization, and more!

👏👏👏 Congrats on being proven right! I think travois will utilise the mechanic, similar to how Astrid could carry the survivors in the ep. 3. Like, it won't have a physical model, while you pull it, only being present as a part of UI.