A Way to Dispose of Ruined Canned Food AND Still Recycle the Tin Can

UpUpAway95

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Well, I guess I'm the only one who cares at all about this.  Too bad... it seems silly to me to have to risk getting food poisoning just to acquire a tin can for a noise maker.

I didn't reply because I am still trying to work out how to do it. If it can be done that is? 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I didn't reply because I am still trying to work out how to do it. If it can be done that is? 

Sorry - I probably should have specified.  I'd like to see them add an option when highlighting a canned item in the inventory to "open and discard contents."  The player would still need an appropriate tool to open the tin.  After selecting the option, an empty tin can would appear in the inventory just the same as it does after one eats a canned food item.  The only difference would be that the player character doesn't eat the contents, so hunger is not decreased at that time and there would be no risk of food poisoning.  The contents of the can simply disappears (no need to animate it being poured out onto the ground, or into a trash can or toilet).

Edited by UpUpAway95

35 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Sorry - I probably should have specified.  I'd like to see them add an option when highlighting a canned item in the inventory to "open and discard contents."  The player would still need an appropriate tool to open the tin.  After selecting the option, an empty tin can would appear in the inventory just the same as it does after one eats a canned food item.  The only difference would be that the player character doesn't eat the contents, so hunger is not decreased at that time and there would be no risk of food poisoning.  The contents of the can simply disappears (no need to animate it being poured out onto the ground, or into a trash can or toilet).

Oh I see! Yes it would be a good idea now that noisemakers have been introduced. Maybe the ruined food could be used as a lure/bait for wolves . That way it would have some use.

• Upvote 1

One can always drop a can on or next to a fire - it opens automatically from available tools - and let it cook until the contents turn into burned inedible ash or does that also ruin the can as well?  Never did it so I don't know for sure though I have boiled off water from recycled cans. 

Given that, until the introduction of noise-makers, there was no particular reason for the devs to create a game mechanic where the character threw away the food contents and kept the can.  The use of a recycled can for making water only came about with New Cooking which might be a reason but probably not a sufficient reason for the devs to do it either.    The fact that many have complained about the lots and lots of recycled cans that lay around them would also not favor expending time and effort to work out a way to get a recycled can by disposing of the contents.  Before New Cooking cans just "went away" (we were terrible litterers) after the contents were consumed.  

51 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

One can always drop a can on or next to a fire - it opens automatically from available tools - and let it cook until the contents turn into burned inedible ash or does that also ruin the can as well?  Never did it so I don't know for sure though I have boiled off water from recycled cans. 

Given that, until the introduction of noise-makers, there was no particular reason for the devs to create a game mechanic where the character threw away the food contents and kept the can.  The use of a recycled can for making water only came about with New Cooking which might be a reason but probably not a sufficient reason for the devs to do it either.    The fact that many have complained about the lots and lots of recycled cans that lay around them would also not favor expending time and effort to work out a way to get a recycled can by disposing of the contents.  Before New Cooking cans just "went away" (we were terrible litterers) after the contents were consumed.  

I'll have to experiment with burning food in the can to see if we do end up with a usable can.  I know that boiling a can dry depletes the condition of the can a little each time, but I've never actually destroyed a can in that way.

Even so, I still think it's an appropriate mechanic to be added now that noise makers are in the game.