Bear spawned in cave while sleeping

turkeytim4

Hey, I had killed the bear that roams near the cave at 1432, 209 and a couple days later had to duck in there to get out of a storm. I was asleep and the bear woke up and killed me. Not even mauled me and left me for later, just killed me dead.

I'm just at a loss. I had just passed 100 days (started in ML and made my way here). Had just made my first bear roll, had a ton of amo and other equip and was setup for an epic run. Before i even think about investing another however many hours again on this, is it by design that bears will (re)spawn in a cave in a storm and kill us dead or is it a bug? If that's by design, that's just unconscionable.

is there anyway to roll my game back a couple of days and bring me back to life?

Please don't let me have died like that. :cry:

windows 8.1

intel core i7-4790 CPU 3.6 GHz

8.00 GB

64-bit OS

output_log.txt

Hi Turkeytim,

The phenomenon of bear/wolf respawns while sleeping in some areas has been reported before and used as an exploit by some people. If I remember correctly, the devs said in the steam forums that they are going to stop these sleep respawns in a future patch.^^

http://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/610573009250372793/?tscn=1424726150#c610573009252818792

is there anyway to roll my game back a couple of days and bring me back to life?

Unless you have copied your save folder before there's only one way that might work: roll back windows to a save point before you died, chances are high that the save will still be there (I did this once in another game and it worked).

Btw were you sleeping on the bear roll? This would mean that at least the bears don't mind the stinking of it.

I noticed that bear attack when you are sleeping will kill you instead of leaving y alive. So be careful. And sr but there is no way to recover your run, try to back up save files in the future, but that still consider cheating you know.

I noticed that bear attack when you are sleeping will kill you instead of leaving y alive. So be careful. And sr but there is no way to recover your run, try to back up save files in the future, but that still consider cheating you know.

I would argue it's not cheating if it compensates for a known, fatal bug.

Btw were you sleeping on the bear roll? This would mean that at least the bears don't mind the stinking of it.

No, sorry. I just had the regular bedroll.

I did realize later that it was probably the first time I had ever slept in a cave withOUT a fire going. Maybe fires keep bears (and wolves?) from death-spawning?

Nope, fires have no effect at all.

You can sleep within a whole circle of campfires and will nevertheless be attacked by a wolf/bear spawning right on top of your head. I once tried it with four campfires (just out of curiosity) and very much doubt that additional fires would change anything.

Now it happend to me too, for the first time. Was mauled on day 59 after I killed all 4 bears (was actually cooking one in the cave ;)). I was never suprised by a bear in a cave before but I also never slept in a cave that is in bear territory, it was the cave near Cascading Falls. I suspect that they only spawn when you sleep in the area where a bear lives.

But I'm not keen to verify this, instead I just won't start any new runs until the release of the update. It's just no fun getting killed without making an apparent mistake (except for ignoring a known bug lol).

I haven't slept outside in TLD yet, so I'm curious:

Does the length of time that you sleep seem to have any effect on the likelihood that you're attacked? In other words, if you sleep for only 1 hour at a time, does that appear to make it less likely that a bear/wolf will spawn than if you slept for, say, 6 hours straight?

--Gibbon

Does the length of time that you sleep seem to have any effect on the likelihood that you're attacked? In other words, if you sleep for only 1 hour at a time, does that appear to make it less likely that a bear/wolf will spawn than if you slept for, say, 6 hours straight?

--Gibbon

I'm not sure of this, but I would guess that there is just a % chance for a wolf/ bear to spawn every time you sleep outside. So sleeping 6 x 1 hour would give you 6 x Y% chance of spawning a wolf and sleeping 1 x 6 hours would give you 1 x Y% chance. I could be wrong and I base this on nothing other than my "feeling" of the game.

Not sure for bears but for wolves, 1h can be enough. I'm not sure if it's only during blizzards but I was attacked several times during blizzards while trying to sleep through it hour by hour.

But you probably only sleep outside during blizzards, as you'd normally find some shelter before bedding down. I don't think blizzards increase the chance of a wolf spawn while sleeping, but again I didn't do any testing on this so I could be very wrong.

I have only once been attacked by a bear while sleeping in a regular sleeping bag (not one made of bear hides) and this was not exactly on a cave, but inside on that Abandoned Mine, right where You spawn when entering Pleasant Valley when coming from Coastal Highway.

It was day time (an hour or so after midday and not in blizzard) and my fatigue was quite high, so I thought I take 1h sleep and then continue to Pleasant Valley. Didn't make fire for I thought it was just a quick 1h sleep. Woke up in the middle of a bear attack. Wasn't killed though, not sure if clothes at 100% condition helped with that or not, but managed to stay alive eventually.

--Gibbon

Not sure, but waking up to being attacked by an animal is not something that is permanent. It is a bug.

One time i sleep in a cave then wake up, i hear wolf shout just near me but dont know where is it, Tried to look for it but cant, then i... get out of the cave, the way out is a little kind of down hill then a wolf came out of the rock down in my feet and attack me. I think that he respawn but not on top of me but down of me, mean underground. I cant run anyway.

Not sure, but waking up to being attacked by an animal is not something that is permanent. It is a bug.

Ryan,

Thanks, I appreciate it! I know that you had mentioned this earlier and I didn't mean to imply that this behavior was purposeful on the part of the devs.

Rather, just in case I end up needing to do an emergency bivouac before the bug is fixed, I was more broadly interested in seeing if anybody had observed a strategy that might mitigate some of the risk--and sleeping for shorter intervals was one idea I had. But as it's essentially just an unintended event caused by a bug, then perhaps there is no "safer" strategy--aside from not sleeping outside for now!

And thanks to everyone else for the replies, too!

--Gibbon

Ryan,

Thanks, I appreciate it! I know that you had mentioned this earlier and I didn't mean to imply that this behavior was purposeful on the part of the devs.

Rather, just in case I end up needing to do an emergency bivouac before the bug is fixed, I was more broadly interested in seeing if anybody had observed a strategy that might mitigate some of the risk--and sleeping for shorter intervals was one idea I had. But as it's essentially just an unintended event caused by a bug, then perhaps there is no "safer" strategy--aside from not sleeping outside for now!

And thanks to everyone else for the replies, too!

--Gibbon

Ahh no worries! thanks for the clarification :)

The bug is that it's spawning new wildlife on top of you while sleeping, the feature is suppose to work like this:

if you are sleeping and there is a wolf nearby or a bear, then they may trot over to you to investigate/eat. So instead of spawning it on top of you, it should just be if there happens to be a wolf/bear nearby then you might get attacked mid sleep.

Jeremy

The bug is that it's spawning new wildlife on top of you while sleeping, the feature is suppose to work like this:

if you are sleeping and there is a wolf nearby or a bear, then they may trot over to you to investigate/eat. So instead of spawning it on top of you, it should just be if there happens to be a wolf/bear nearby then you might get attacked mid sleep.

Jeremy

Sounds great, I'm really looking forward to this. I guess it's also going to prevent wolf attacks through campfires (e.g. when you sleep in an ice fishing hut and "block" the entrance with a campfire). :)

regarding length of sleep, my bear attacked me during a 1-hour nap.

Also, like ChillPlayer, my bear "death spawned" on me at Cascading Falls. I had slept in lots of other caves with no ill effect. That is definitely one to avoid.

But if you kill the wolves and bears in that area, you should be safe to sleep for a few hours, right? (if not days, given how slowly wildlife respawns in PV)?

Also (regarding how it should work) if you sleep with a fire between you and the entrance, even if the wolf/bear does come to investigate, would they be deterred by the fire?

Jeremy

Thanks for explaining Jeremy. That's exactly how I always thought it should work. But as the game has always spawned an animal on top (or right next) of you since this got implemented I thought it was intended behavior...

Anyway, thanks again for the explanation. Hope you guys can get this to work as intended :)

Archived