Blackrock is severe ?

peteloud

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

That was a terrible experience, but here is the true story about a tough journey in Canada by John Fanklin, c. 1820.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18985

Go straight to Chapter XII if you just want the unpleasant bit

great link, thanks- I knew about the Terror expedition but that was new for me, nice one.

Also gives me some ideas for my recipe competition entry- 'take one uncured deer hide, one lichen, and one pair of trail boots...'

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My guy Macfrostfoot decided to go on an easter adventure.

After wrestling with a bear I had ended up barefoot at the Blackrock penetiary, and there were no deer hanging around waiting to become footwear. Finally decided to try and make the trip from Blackrock penetiary to Mystery Lake barefoot. Was able to take the path @Leeanda suggested from the prison to mountaineer's hut in TWM without getting frostbitten. A bit timberwolfbitten but not too bad. Unfortunately I was low on matches and fuel and clothes were looking worse and worse and I managed to stack a couple of cabin fevers. Turns out barefoot and cabin fever don't pair too well ;) Maps were all looted so couldn't pick up more food than a couple of rabbits on the way there, had to stop and make long fires frequently to avoid getting black feet. Managed to do some fishing in TWM but was too cold from broken clothing and low on health to pick up enough sticks to survive the upcoming night. So I warmed up a little with the last remaining sticks in the stove before I ran towards PV. Realized at this point that there was no way around getting frostbite, which sucks but losing a 370 day run completely is as you know way worse. So I started to run towards the PV transition rope, got frostbit halfway. That's when I doublestimmed my way to the waterfall cave in PV. When I arrived I stoned two rabbits and went down the cave to get coal. Next day, no more stims in the pack, my health was a little better but still around 20%. Pulled a wolf to the stove by the bunker so I could harvest it while heating up. Had I not made that headshot the wolf would've grilled me instead. But I killed him and the next frost bite risk started to heal up from the fire. Ran through the plane site and made it all the way down to the river before I decided to make a campfire before the final sprint to the farmstead. Had to sleep by the fire in one hour intervals in order to get the frost bite risk down from 70%. I knew it was risky, especially in PV. Second time I woke up freezing, frost bite risk at 80%. Fine, another frostbite is annoying but it doesn't ruin a long playthrough. So I ran towards the farm, got my second frostbite, made it inside and slept. After that it was easypiecy. Brought an abundance of recycled wood, burned them all halfway to Winding river transition cave. Made it to the cave at around 15% health, warmed up a little, then ran towards the rabbit grove. Had to cook a rabbit to survive, warmed up a little again and sprinted to the dam where I went to repair my 3% moose hide satchel and bear coats. Then I emptied the lockers flooding of cattails. And put on some long awaited boots :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, manolitode said:

My guy Macfrostfoot decided to go on an easter adventure.

After wrestling with a bear I had ended up barefoot at the Blackrock penetiary, and there were no deer hanging around waiting to become footwear. Finally decided to try and make the trip from Blackrock penetiary to Mystery Lake barefoot. Was able to take the path @Leeanda suggested from the prison to mountaineer's hut in TWM without getting frostbitten. A bit timberwolfbitten but not too bad. Unfortunately I was low on matches and fuel and clothes were looking worse and worse and I managed to stack a couple of cabin fevers. Turns out barefoot and cabin fever don't pair too well ;) Maps were all looted so couldn't pick up more food than a couple of rabbits on the way there, had to stop and make long fires frequently to avoid getting black feet. Managed to do some fishing in TWM but was too cold from broken clothing and low on health to pick up enough sticks to survive the upcoming night. So I warmed up a little with the last remaining sticks in the stove before I ran towards PV. Realized at this point that there was no way around getting frostbite, which sucks but losing a 370 day run completely is as you know way worse. So I started to run towards the PV transition rope, got frostbit halfway. That's when I doublestimmed my way to the waterfall cave in PV. When I arrived I stoned two rabbits and went down the cave to get coal. Next day, no more stims in the pack, my health was a little better but still around 20%. Pulled a wolf to the stove by the bunker so I could harvest it while heating up. Had I not made that headshot the wolf would've grilled me instead. But I killed him and the next frost bite risk started to heal up from the fire. Ran through the plane site and made it all the way down to the river before I decided to make a campfire before the final sprint to the farmstead. Had to sleep by the fire in one hour intervals in order to get the frost bite risk down from 70%. I knew it was risky, especially in PV. Second time I woke up freezing, frost bite risk at 80%. Fine, another frostbite is annoying but it doesn't ruin a long playthrough. So I ran towards the farm, got my second frostbite, made it inside and slept. After that it was easypiecy. Brought an abundance of recycled wood, burned them all halfway to Winding river transition cave. Made it to the cave at around 15% health, warmed up a little, then ran towards the rabbit grove. Had to cook a rabbit to survive, warmed up a little again and sprinted to the dam where I went to repair my 3% moose hide satchel and bear coats. Then I emptied the lockers flooding of cattails. And put on some long awaited boots :)

Great to see you're surviving !👍 

And YAY !  New boots🙂