Can arrows get lost?

ChillPlayer

I was hunting the bear around Miner's Folly from a rock where I knew it couldn't get me. Before the hunt I had 7 arrows in the bag plus one loaded. I then lured the bear to me, when it noticed me it stood up and I hit it in the chest, blood splatter and the bear went into a frenzy. Whenever it came back close to me I shot it again, missed once, hit at least twice in the back, again with blood splatter. Eventually it stopped returning so I picked up the arrow and ran into the building to pass time for two hours.

Unfortunatelly it still wasn't dead, it was slowly going down the slope from it's cave. So I lured it again to me, hit it and it went ballistic again but not for very much longer. It climbed the rock near the shack, stood up on two legs and fell down.

It was still panting and I thought I might increase my Archery skill if I shoot it again - which I did, with that shot I got Archery 5. What I didn't expect though, the bear stood up and charged me lol. Guess the old saying "never wake a sleeping bear" does also count for dying bears :D

I managed to escape into the little space behind the working table and eventually heard it collapsing, dead. I had 3 arrows left including the loaded one, picked 3 arrows from the carcass and that's it. Even after completely harvesting it, I remained down two arrows. Thinking that maybe I've missed it more often I searched the whole area, I was only shooting in two directions plus the one hit after it was dying but they are gone.

Can a bear loose arrows when he is frantically running around the area after a hit or can they otherwise magically disappear? I really don't think I missed more than once and that arrow I picked up.

I once shot a bear three times from the top of the barn at Trappers before he ran off. When I found the carcass there were no arrows, but I later found a pile of three arrows some distance away. So yes, I think they can fall out.

I've also seen arrows fall from stags as they collapse, and watched the arrow roll down a slope. So that can happen too.

Thanks for your replies, that's encouraging but I think the arrows are lost for good. I started a search & rescue mission on the whole plateau, even goated down the steep slope to Angler's Den in case it rolled down there but nada, no arrows. Either I stumble upon them out of sheer luck or I have to write them off. But still good to know that they can fall off, next time I'll be more restrictive in my use of arrows.

17 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Thanks for your replies, that's encouraging but I think the arrows are lost for good. I started a search & rescue mission on the whole plateau, even goated down the steep slope to Angler's Den in case it rolled down there but nada, no arrows. Either I stumble upon them out of sheer luck or I have to write them off. But still good to know that they can fall off, next time I'll be more restrictive in my use of arrows.

You'll likely find them later on when you're least expecting it.  In the meantime, just go make more.