103% Protection

A Lamp

So i was testing out the ballistic vest (ik kinda late) with the combinations of the most protective clothes appart from the vest itself.

In the wiki i found out that the most protections someone can have is 103% with the combinations of the ski boots (10%), deerskin pants (10%), gauntlets (6%), moosehide cloak (20%), rabbitskin hat (4%), crampons (3%) and the vest (50%).

And so the result of this test is that you take no damage at all by wildlife, literally! Not even a bear did a scratch, yet i didn't test against aurora wildlife but i think the result should be the same.

We all expected this result, honestly, i mean how the hell would you take damage if you have +100% protection?

Even tho this is godmode against wildlife, you can still die from killboxes, falldamage, your needs (e.g thirst) and you can barely sprint with only 11%!. 

Edited by A Lamp
Real max protection is 103% not 105%
  • Upvote 2

• A Lamp changed the title to 103% Protection
On 1/3/2022 at 7:19 PM, hozz1235 said:

Have you tested it against a moose?

Well i ask because i forgot to mention that having +100% protection is kinda buggy against the moose: while i was being stumped by a moose, i didn't get broken ribs at all! It took me few more stumps and 3 freshly new runs (used developerconsole mod to make my life easier) to finally get it, although the vest reduces the recovery time of it by 30%(if i have calculated correctly), more precisely 120 h ----> 84 h.

2022年1月1日午前4時33分、ランプは次のように述べています。

正直なところ、+ 100%の保護がある場合、どのようにダメージを受けるのでしょうか?

The bear attack did not damage my health condition, but my clothing condition deteriorated considerably. I think pants, hats, etc will soon be worn out and can't be worn.

Guest jeffpeng

So it looks like the formula

Damage * (1-Protection)

is in fact still accurate. (At least until you hit 100%. Above that this would actually restore health...)

This linear scaling actually has a few very interesting effect. Think about it:

If you have 0 Protection and you upgrade to 10 Protection, instead of 100 damage you now take 90 damage - 10% less. But if you have 50 Protection and you upgrade to 60 protection, instead of 50 Damage you now take 40 damage - 20% less! So, in a way, protection gets better the more you have. If you have no protection at all, the vest simply halves the amount of damage you take, which is impressive enough. But lets say you have modest midgame clothing - Rabbit Hat (4%) and Mitts (3%), Deerskin Boots (7%) and Pants (10%), and you already have the crampons (3%), but you are still rocking that Mackinaw (5%). That's a respectable 32%, meaning instead of 100 Damage you would receive just 68. But now adding 50% protection on top of that you'd just receive 18 damage. 18 - That's 74% less! I mean... yeah, that's pretty impressive, ain't it.

That being said: while it's a very effective failsafe aginst f'upping with wildlife, you still cannot afford many of those incidents as you clothing will take a literal beating - and you are slow ay ef, which will cost you against the cold. So even with this information I have a really hard time seeing the point of this thing. On Interloper - it's too heavy. On Stalker - you don't need it. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

So it looks like the formula

Damage * (1-Protection)

is in fact still accurate. (At least until you hit 100%. Above that this would actually restore health...)

This linear scaling actually has a few very interesting effect. Think about it:

If you have 0 Protection and you upgrade to 10 Protection, instead of 100 damage you now take 90 damage - 10% less. But if you have 50 Protection and you upgrade to 60 protection, instead of 50 Damage you now take 40 damage - 20% less! So, in a way, protection gets better the more you have. If you have no protection at all, the vest simply halves the amount of damage you take, which is impressive enough. But lets say you have modest midgame clothing - Rabbit Hat (4%) and Mitts (3%), Deerskin Boots (7%) and Pants (10%), and you already have the crampons (3%), but you are still rocking that Mackinaw (5%). That's a respectable 32%, meaning instead of 100 Damage you would receive just 68. But now adding 50% protection on top of that you'd just receive 18 damage. 18 - That's 74% less! I mean... yeah, that's pretty impressive, ain't it.

That being said: while it's a very effective failsafe aginst f'upping with wildlife, you still cannot afford many of those incidents as you clothing will take a literal beating - and you are slow ay ef, which will cost you against the cold. So even with this information I have a really hard time seeing the point of this thing. On Interloper - it's too heavy. On Stalker - you don't need it. 🤷‍♂️

I see it took you a bit to write all of this here, but yeah the vest isn't really useful although it's quite fun wearing it and taking a beating without a scratch even tho you have to pay quite a bit while wearing it...

But thinking about it, i think HL was fully aware that the vest wouldn't be much of a use for loper players (or even stalker ones), so that could mean they added it to make it useful in a future update.

Perhaps they'll add something or someone that is quite dangerous without the vest.

Who knows, only time will tell...

Guest jeffpeng

I think it's a matter of tuning. Make the vest 1-2 kg lighter, and reduce the sprint penalty, and it becomes much easier to justify wearing it, making it a premium item rather than a paper weight.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

I think it's a matter of tuning. Make the vest 1-2 kg lighter, and reduce the sprint penalty, and it becomes much easier to justify wearing it, making it a premium item rather than a paper weight.

The thing is this vest looks like it's made out of armid-blends fabric plus lvl 3 body armor would make this vest weight about 3.75-4 kg. No way it would weight more than a rifle. Yet i can't be 100% sure because it's unknown what those body armors are made of. Usually law-enforcement body armor aren't that heavy...