How to deal with Timberwolves

Zaknafein

1 hour ago, Zaknafein said:

Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I believe it is a feature as they have acted like this since 2019.

Torch keeps them at bay, but morale breaks when you exit their territory.

Hello ZAK :) 
This is how it is meant to be, my friend. We humans still have an advantage over animals :) And it will always depend on us how we treat animals. Both in the game and in real life. I cordially greet you, Survivor 👍

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

Wait what, it's that simple? Does this work on Loper?!

On the Interloper level also works. Torch or flare (red and blue). The problem with the torch is in BI Region - because it is very windy there - You know what I mean - but what Veteran Survivor would care about such things 👍

I greet you, Survivor 🌡

Guest jeffpeng
1 hour ago, PiterZ said:

On the Interloper level also works. Torch or flare (red and blue). The problem with the torch is in BI Region - because it is very windy there - You know what I mean - but what Veteran Survivor would care about such things 👍

I greet you, Survivor 🌡

I guess it's a thing of false assumptions. When the timberwolves got introduced we also got the marine flares. So assumption: you need a marine flare to keep timberwolves at bay. So, frankly, I never even tried to just use a torch or a normal flare. If that really works I feel silly beyond belief.

My usual go to up until now was to start a fire, and just fling a billion of torches at them. Which kinda worked so .... maybe this will as well.

1 hour ago, ChillPlayer said:

Wow need to try this, didn't think it's that simple nor that you can outrun their territory. I thought they will go after you forever until they are stopped by the terrain by climbing a rope or something.

That's accurate. In fact getting out of reach does not reset them. But if you put enough distance between you and the point they spotted you they will give up the chase. It's usually just much farther than you can run (except you stim up).

Guest jeffpeng

So yeah it "kinda" works, at least on Stalker, but you really have to keep facing them at all times. As soon as you don't: chomp! Which sorta makes this a situational escape plan. If you really know where you are walking backwards to - fine. But there is terrain where this could become tricky and the outcome possibly worse than standing your ground and taking the hits. Like ... yeah good thing you escaped those timberwolves, but now you've got a bear sitting on your face.

Edited by jeffpeng

14 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

So yeah it "kinda" works, at least on Stalker, but you really have to keep facing them at all times. As soon as you don't: chomp! Which sorta makes this a situational escape plan. If you really know where you are walking backwards to - fine. But there is terrain where this could become tricky and the outcome possibly worse than standing your ground and taking the hits. Like ... yeah good thing you escaped those timberwolves, but now you've got a bear sitting on your face.

The torch doesn't keep wolves at bay as far as a lit flare, so it may have something to do with that. With a flare, you don't have to face them.

My favorite way of dealing with packs of timberwolves is with a bow and a lit flare. When the pack first spots you, light the flare and drop it at your feet. The timberwolves will never attack as long as you are standing on the lit flare, so you can shoot them with the bow at your leisure. If you run out of arrows, simply pick up the flare, walk over to your arrows, and drop the flare once you get the arrows back. This also works with campfires, but you can't retrieve your arrows and you are vulnerable if the wind shifts and blows it out.

Once a timberwolf is injured, it will no longer attack you, so if you injure all of the timberwolves in a pack, you are safe, although the morale meter will remain until enough of them bleed out. If only one timberwolf survives, it will always flee when you approach after you initially break the pack morale. This can be useful, as timberwolves still hunt rabbits and deer like wolves, and can be driven off the carcass by simply walking up to them.

Edited by Salty Crackers
  • Like 1

Guest jeffpeng

Interesting. That's how I deal with bears. They won't touch you with a flare in hand or standing on a flare, even after shooting them. And flares are common enough that you don't have to count them a major expenditure.

On 12/9/2021 at 2:54 PM, Old Hermit said:

Also, the "damage" to the morale seems different for each device (flare, marine, torch), or am i mistaken?

I actually tested this in my new spawn video. As far as I can tell, it all looked the same to me. Didn't matter if it was torch, flare or noisemaker. However, this may depend on how you hit with them and therefore my testing isn't conclusive.

I will point out one thing, though: Noisemakers are technically best, because wolves will flee when it explodes. If you throw a torch or flare, the morale will drop but the wolf doesn't always flee. As a result, you have reduced morale but now there is a wolf between you and the flare.

The video can be seen here (timestamps in description for testing):

• Like 1