Unlocked map for experienced players

Deseoso

I was wondering if it would be possible to get an option in the settings to unlock all the maps?

I liked the current method for mapping the game but I am now playing probably my 15th or 20th  survival game and the truth is I have simply lost interest in mapping the entire game all over again.

Originally I mapped the entire game for the faithful cartographer achievement but I've now given up with the achievments as they simply don't work anymore.

My suggestion would be either an option in the settings to completely unlock the maps  or make an option that if ticked will cause the maps to be shared across different games.

1 minute ago, Deseoso said:

make an option that if ticked will cause the maps to be shared across different games.

I would very much like that but there's a problem with the spray paint mechanic. You can use the spray paint to set a marker on the map to see where you are, which I've used several times during a whiteout blizzard to find the nearest cave. This of course only works on unrevealed maps and if the map is shared across playthroughs, you've got one very real advantage on subsequent playthroughs.

So I'm undecided on this, on the one hand I too am tired of mapping on every playthrough but then I also want every playthrough to have the same obstacles.

I never use the map. It took a lot of time and had no real payoff other than it being a task that exists that you can complete?

Maybe more map things to find like the already existing photographs would help? A road map could reveal all the roads in the game, maybe the firewatch(?) tower could have a map of the area around it pinned to the wall.

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of a regional map unlock option. So, when you ‘Faithful Cartographer’ a region, eg. ML or TImberwolf Mountain, you get a mini achievement (like progress towards a badge).

When you start a new game, you can choose the option (maybe as a badge) of ‘Start with a map’ and it shows regions you’ve previously 100% mapped, whilst the others are solid black.

• Upvote 1

I find the map to be near-useless, especially after you've memorized it anyway after your 300th day or whatever. (I find the charcoal map to be laughably & extremely unrealistically vague, in regards to terrain/pathing) So having the option to unlock it as per the above post is harmless at worst.

Now, having the map show you exactly where you are would be another thing, and I'd love it, albeit with limitations. (utilizing a more sensible version of the spray paint exploit, for ex.)

Edited by Kranium