Request for pilgrim

Leeanda

I love this game and enjoy not being savaged on a regular basis which is why I play on pilgrim! But I would just like one small tweak.

Can the wolves have less fear or a change of smell range? I would like to be able to get near enough to actually be within a decent shooting range! As it is at the moment I mostly only hear them and when I do see them they are disappearing over the horizon!

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but it would certainly help me!

Thank you

That has nothing do to with smell. And I don't think even the regular fear mechanic. It's a special setting that has them run from you

Start a custom game and take the Pilgrim preset. Then try setting the wildlife detection range lower.

You could also try turning off Passive Wildlife altogether. That's what causes them to run I think. Then wolves will attack you, but all the struggle stuff is turned all the way down, so it shouldn't be an issue. There also some other things you can still make easier like the scent meter increase from carrying meat

Edited by Serenity

I'm not sure which setting causes them to run away I just wish that they didn't disappear before I can get within a decent range! I don't even have time to get the weapon out most of the time! And I'm on pilgrim because Im trying to get the badges at the moment! 

The running away thing is pretty much the gimmick of Pilgrim (like Stalker has tons of wolves and Interloper has relatively little loot). As aid the setting should be "Passive Wildlife". That's the only thing that's activated on Pilgrim only. "Wildlife Detection Range" is when animals react to you as you walk up, but I don't think that's actually lower on Pilgrim

I appreciate that they are supposed to run away but even the deer aren't that skittish. The moose and bear also run away unless provoked but not so easily. I am on about 160 day run at the moment and the only reason I have any wolf skins is that I found two dead ones and got lucky killing two that were feeding on rabbits! Surely it shouldn't be that hard to kill anything on pilgrim!?

Try crouching as you approach your prey.

Even on Pilgrim mode when your crouched, you are very stealthy.  Often the animals won't notice you until they are practically upon you.   If you haven't achieved level 5 with the bow yet, it's when you stand up that the animals will react to your presence most assuredly so be prepared to stand and draw and fire the bow in rapid order. 

Not so much a problem if your armed with either the revolver or the rifle and fire from a crouched position.   And yes, it is actually a bit more difficult to be a proficient hunter on Pilgrim because the wild life does run away.  You might also want to try "herding" where you intentionally spook a deer or rabbit to bolt, hopefully in the direction of a nearby wolf.  If it goes well, the wolf will immediately switch into pursuit mode and hunt down the deer or rabbit. 

I usually sprint after the deer for short distances but not enough to drain my stamina.  Once I get within a decent bow range, I crouch and with weapon ready I close the distance.  You'll notice when the wolf notices you, at that point don't waste any time, take your shot as best you can.  If you strike true you end with a two for one.  If not then at least you can harvest what remains of the carcass!  Good Luck!

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Try crouching as you approach your prey.

Even on Pilgrim mode when your crouched, you are very stealthy.  Often the animals won't notice you until they are practically upon you.   If you haven't achieved level 5 with the bow yet, it's when you stand up that the animals will react to your presence most assuredly so be prepared to stand and draw and fire the bow in rapid order. 

Not so much a problem if your armed with either the revolver or the rifle and fire from a crouched position.   And yes, it is actually a bit more difficult to be a proficient hunter on Pilgrim because the wild life does run away.  You might also want to try "herding" where you intentionally spook a deer or rabbit to bolt, hopefully in the direction of a nearby wolf.  If it goes well, the wolf will immediately switch into pursuit mode and hunt down the deer or rabbit. 

I usually sprint after the deer for short distances but not enough to drain my stamina.  Once I get within a decent bow range, I crouch and with weapon ready I close the distance.  You'll notice when the wolf notices you, at that point don't waste any time, take your shot as best you can.  If you strike true you end with a two for one.  If not then at least you can harvest what remains of the carcass!  Good Luck!

Not using bow at the moment just rifle. But sneaking doesn't help much as soon as I get near enough to aim they hear/see me and just leg it! 

But the animals on this save seem to be less common and mostly nowhere near any other animal. Take PV farmstead, at the moment I have rabbits next to the barn one occasional deer on the hill on the east side and no wolves anywhere. They all seem to be separated by some distance and I can't really run around like Usain bolt trying to "herd" them as it were!

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Not using bow at the moment just rifle. But sneaking doesn't help much as soon as I get near enough to aim they hear/see me and just leg it! 

But the animals on this save seem to be less common and mostly nowhere near any other animal. Take PV farmstead, at the moment I have rabbits next to the barn one occasional deer on the hill on the east side and no wolves anywhere. They all seem to be separated by some distance and I can't really run around like Usain bolt trying to "herd" them as it were!

Yeah PV is kinda spread out to be herding for sure.  Works so much better on Coastal Highway out on the ice.  
In PV you might want to try saturation trapping by the barn area and put up literally a dozen or more snares.  They will reap bountiful harvests each and every morning and you'll spend most of the day butchering them.  As to hunting the deer, perhaps try a flanking approach.  Work your way back down to the tree line and just wait there in crouched mode.  Even if you spook some deer initially, they typically work their way back towards their original positions at which point you can take your shot.  So long as you've got good clothing and the weather is decent you can remain crouched for a long time, basically hiding in plain sight.  

I know you prefer Pilgrim mode and this time but have you considered moving up a level to Voyager mode?  Yes the predators do become a bit more aggressive but if you avoid carrying meat when out hunting or exploring you can really minimize their threat based on scent detection.  About the only time they really hone in on you is when they are within that immediate visual range and you are standing.  The wolf struggles can be burdensome at times but usually survivable and mostly with minimal damage.  Plus you can stab those wolves with the knife which often results in them running away and bleeding out.  That's a win in my book!

• Upvote 1

I don't play voyager because of the bear! I hate that scene with all the screaming! If it was a lot shorter I might consider moving up!☺

Not so bothered about the wolves except the cannery one! I only kill wolves for the coat anyway unless I'm really short on food!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 4:34 PM, Leeanda said:

I don't play voyager because of the bear! I hate that scene with all the screaming! If it was a lot shorter I might consider moving up!☺

Not so bothered about the wolves except the cannery one! I only kill wolves for the coat anyway unless I'm really short on food!

Yeah I don't like the screaming either. I usually play with the character voice off and the absence of that is a nice plus (includes silencing screaming from death by wolf too).

Edited by darkscaryforest
  • Upvote 1

I took a look at vanilla pilgrim on the custom template.  I think that for wolf fear and for wildlife detection range both defaulted to medium.  If wolf fear is set to low (which I think is the lowest setting) the wolf (in any other mode) would be more difficult to scare away.  That may or may not help the get close to the wolf.  I would assume the wildlife detection range would make it easier to get closer if set to low.

What @piddy3825posted is probably the only other way to sneak up on a wolf.  It can become easier if the wolf is actually busy with consuming a kill.  Just don't get too close and stand up as that engages the wolf attack animation, rather than growling, which is about the only time I have seen wolf fear get overridden on the spot. 

I have never actually tried to continue to walk towards a wolf that was growling at me, so I don't know if that can provoke an attack but sneaking in too close (relative terms) to arrow it and then standing up (I was not at level 5 archery) to shoot for a twofer got me attacked right away by the wolf.  Shook me up pretty good the first time it happened and I spent some time bleeding after the wolf ran away until I could get my composure back and think straight. 

6 hours ago, straffin said:

@Leeanda - How far have you leveled up your rifle/pistol skills? I've taken out wolves with a rifle from what I would consider very long distances once I'd reached skill level 5. 

Rifles at level 5 now cos I finally managed to get a 1 shot kill on a moose yesterday! Not too good on long distance shots! My eyes ain't what they used to be😀!

4 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I took a look at vanilla pilgrim on the custom template.  I think that for wolf fear and for wildlife detection range both defaulted to medium.  If wolf fear is set to low (which I think is the lowest setting) the wolf (in any other mode) would be more difficult to scare away.  That may or may not help the get close to the wolf.  I would assume the wildlife detection range would make it easier to get closer if set to low.

What @piddy3825posted is probably the only other way to sneak up on a wolf.  It can become easier if the wolf is actually busy with consuming a kill.  Just don't get too close and stand up as that engages the wolf attack animation, rather than growling, which is about the only time I have seen wolf fear get overridden on the spot. 

I have never actually tried to continue to walk towards a wolf that was growling at me, so I don't know if that can provoke an attack but sneaking in too close (relative terms) to arrow it and then standing up (I was not at level 5 archery) to shoot for a twofer got me attacked right away by the wolf.  Shook me up pretty good the first time it happened and I spent some time bleeding after the wolf ran away until I could get my composure back and think straight. 

I thought changing the fear and detection range would make it easier, Hoping the Devs would change it! I have walked up to a wolf while it's eating and just for a moment I thought it was going to attack but once you can almost touch it it turns and runs off! Still worrying even on pilgrim😁