Its oh so quiet?

Leeanda

Has anyone else gone for long periods of time without seeing or hearing any animals except crows? 

I'm on pilgrim at the moment and 70+ days in .I'm trying not to eat canned food and just hunt but the animals are nowhere most of the time! This morning I walked from the Dam to the maintenance yard and I saw nothing until I got there! Then I only heard a wolf briefly which then disappeared! 

Does anyone else have this happen?

Wildlife does take time to recover. If you've over-hunted it might take some time before wildlife starts to return.

This doesn't really apply to Pilgrim but you can use this to your advantage by intentionally over-hunting the wolf population. Having a wolf-free week is a nice vacation.

I  have noticed that animals do seem to not be around, sometimes for several days, at times. 

In some cases, like near Miner's Folly in Ash Canyon, the bear is generally always there but a pair of deer that sometimes browse around the slopes near the camp will turn up across a bridge more towards an area where a campfire and (sometimes) a snow shelter (ruined for me, given the passage of time in the sandbox) and (it seems) sometimes not even then. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2021 at 3:45 PM, UTC-10 said:

I  have noticed that animals do seem to not be around, sometimes for several days, at times. 

In some cases, like near Miner's Folly in Ash Canyon, the bear is generally always there but a pair of deer that sometimes browse around the slopes near the camp will turn up across a bridge more towards an area where a campfire and (sometimes) a snow shelter (ruined for me, given the passage of time in the sandbox) and (it seems) sometimes not even then. 

Interesting that you mention that, because this is something I've noticed too. There's times I've played Stalker and I can go for days without any issue with wolves. Then, all at once, I can run into wolf after wolf for the next few days. I think it has everything to do with each map having a set number of wildlife spawning nodes, and only some fraction of these are them active at any one time. Every few days, new spawning nodes are activated while others are deactivated, causing wildlife to be moved to different areas of the map.

So yeah, if you're in camp office and not seeing any wolves nearby, it could be that all the wolves in Mystery Lake ended up near the clear cut for some reason.