More Lore! Extra Notes and Environmental Storytelling

Draglorr

Like, The Notes Left Behind are cool and all, but i would love it if there were more notes, lore! And yes, i know there is story mode, but I mean in survival mode! I would love to be able to go to different places and archive all this stuff. Put all the cool story mode lore entries into survival mode so that I could stumble across them and learn from them. More notes to find out what happened and flesh the world out a bit more then just strictly when you are playing story.

Like the family who headed north from mystery lake. I'd love to be able to find out where they ended up. More Notes to read would be awesome! Hinterland probably wouldn't even have to write them themselves, they could just commision the communtity to do so! Like the few backers notes there are.

Maybe I'm the only one interested in this, this post will be most likely overlooked honestly, Just a bit more lore in survival mode, whether it be more notes or even more pointed environmental storytelling (You find a corpse at a computer, or a corpse in a barricaded house you can get into with a prybar) where you can do your own thing and make your own character arcs and stuff rather than just one defined narrative for Will in story mode.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, Draglorr said:

Like, The Notes Left Behind are cool and all, but i would love it if there were more notes, lore! And yes, i know there is story mode, but I mean in survival mode! I would love to be able to go to different places and archive all this stuff. Put all the cool story mode lore entries into survival mode so that I could stumble across them and learn from them. More notes to find out what happened and flesh the world out a bit more then just strictly when you are playing story.

Like the family who headed north from mystery lake. I'd love to be able to find out where they ended up. More Notes to read would be awesome! Hinterland probably wouldn't even have to write them themselves, they could just commision the communtity to do so! Like the few backers notes there are.

Maybe I'm the only one interested in this, this post will be most likely overlooked honestly, Just a bit more lore in survival mode, whether it be more notes or even more pointed environmental storytelling (You find a corpse at a computer, or a corpse in a barricaded house you can get into with a prybar) where you can do your own thing and make your own character arcs and stuff rather than just one defined narrative for Will in story mode.

As you said I think Story Mode is more lore centric, but I do sort of like the feeling of your idea.  I'll put my own spin on the version of it that I would prefer.  First, I think too much lore or a type of lore that's too defining of the world, with broad reach is not preferable.  That's because the core element in survival sandbox is "creating your own lore."  You wouldn't want lore within the world that would run into conflict with that to any degree.  Really, you don't want to threaten that vision at all.

That said, I do like the idea of adding some very minor lore in a way that would give a very, very high chance to not infringe on a person's sandbox survival story and would stand a chance to even augment that.  What is that, you say?  Well it depends on the narrative bit the lore is, but there's a chance you can write minor side lore that would work most anything in its style.  Also, my preference is that it could be toggled.  Have it maybe only in custom as an admissible toggle.  If you, add it to regular modes and let it be toggled off in custom, then I think that's a bit harsh to make traditional sandbox players play custom.

Also, my idea of how lore would look would be very, very sparse within the game.  Maybe there's only 1 or 2 instances in each sandbox.  However, it would be cool I think to make the bank of possible lore to be 50-100 and each game have that small amount.  Would make each pretty unique.

I like the thought to a certain degree and that's my spin on it.  Thanks for taking the time to make this suggestion.

Murph