Cartography Perk

dbmurph22

The Long Dark twitter just asked about cartography, and got me thinking a little.  At this point with so many hours cartography is pointless to me - I know the maps and it gets me cold.  I think it's fantastic for early players who are determined to not look up the maps (highly recommended because it gives the best experience) and use it to carefully plot their steps.

I think a fun idea to add something ONLY if it's mapped out.  Meaning if you charcoal a certain area, only then will some bonus thing become available.  Even better would be to randomize it to some degree so it couldn't just be learned again.  This would give experienced players a bonus/cost to mapping and might do it. 

What might that thing be?  I don't know.  Maybe you could say below if you think this wish list item actually has any merit.  Best of luck everyone in your snowy travels.

I have the achievement for this and it doesn't help that much looking at the maps! My hatred for HRV is known because it's a maze! I still get lost and I've never been in the ice caves !😃

Some of the stuff doesn't even register when charcoaling until after you've been in it! I have to admit the maps have saved my bacon a few times!

I do think there should be a reward for completing it maybe a badge or maybe even a compass! It would certainly come in handy!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I didn't make it clear - but I think there could be chances for perks in each instance of mapping to find a stash or something (not only on completion).  "Mapped out" only referred to the difference between mapping and not - not a map being completed entirely.

I wouldn't mind a badge being added to coincide with the Faithful Cartographer achievement, which adds a feat enabling the GPS compass in Survival mode. It already exists in the game in Story mode, and earning this through diligent mapping kind of makes it irrelevant anyway. Like by the time you earn the achievement, you already pretty much know the maps backwards and forwards anyway. So what the heck, at that point just throw an arrow on the map indicating your position and heading and call it good.

Edited by ajb1978
word choice
  • Upvote 1

That's kind of a cool idea, ajb.  

Though I actually rarely use a feat, too, lol.

I guess I'm just looking for reasons to make experienced players map - myself, or those I watch.  There are a handful of other things that are done much less as experience grows and mostly you just chalk it up to another thing for the curve.  Though I think the mapping is kind of a cool feature.

A permanent marker on the map would certainly help me! As I said I still get lost, not because of things like blizzards,though! Despite having full maps I am still finding new things like cairns or corpses which mostly aren't on the map anyway! . I don't really need to know where exactly I am just which direction I'm facing! If I get lost now I just use charcoal so I have a rough idea where I am!

Not sure the photos help as much as they appear to either!