Missing Lead That Was Left On The Ground

I'll try and be brief as possible.

I was moving from Mountain Town to Mystery Lake after having cleaned out and mapped HRV and MT. I had a lot of stuff to move down the rope at MT and up the other rope at MT to the path to ML. It took several trips and a couple of days to store all of my stuff at the top of the rope leading to the path to ML. Included in this stuff was 48 pieces of lead that I had harvested in MT from 8 cars - it was a lot of work getting this lead together. So I carry my last load up the rope to where my stash was on the path to ML from MT and after dropping the stuff I started choosing items to transport to ML first - I wanted to first move the lead to a rock cache that I had built in the rail tunnel from ML to FM. The pile of lead on the ground that I had left the day before was gone. No where to be found. All the other many piles were still there near the rope that I had just climbed. I checked everywhere, doubling back but I knew without a doubt that on my first trip moving gear that I had moved the 48 pieces of lead.

Is it possible for something like this to just vanish? This is a first for me. I had built 3 rock caches for this move but didn't think that I needed one at that spot.

Any thoughts on what may have happened to my hard worked for lead would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, on about day 155, default Voyageur settings.

Thanks and cheers.