Interloper Refresher Course...

ManicManiac

Since I'd been so wrapped up in my Personal Challenge for more than a year, then taking time to replay Crossroads Elegy, and then taking a short break... I've returned to Great Bear Island.

Since there had been something like 5 updates since the last time I started a new run... I figured it was high time to start a fresh one.  It's been a while since I've taken on this difficulty, so I thought I would do this as a quick refresher course.  I'm curious to see how a new Interloper run would play out for me given the additions of the last few updates.  I don't necessarily expect it to be successful... but it's really more just to see if my skills are still up to scratch. :D (as I said, it's been a long while since I've tackled Interloper)

If I can get myself into reasonably comfortable situation, suppose I'll consider it a success... and if I end up dying then I suppose that means I'll need to brush up on some more "training" (perhaps As the Dead Sleep would be good Interloper training :D).  In either case, I don't intend on this being a long run... so we'll see how this goes.

I woke up near the edge of a cliff... and I didn't recognize the where I was at first until I crept closer to the edge.  From the view, I could see I was in Pleasant Valley... but I didn't recognize the vantage point.  It took me a moment to get my bearings.  As I made my way down the slope behind me.  I realized I was over near Skeeter's Ridge.  I decided to head over to the crash site just to see if I could find some clothing in a few suitcases.  Finding a pair of gloves and a hat, I high tailed it over to Skeeter's Ridge to try and warm up in the basement.

The basement didn't have much for me, but I did find a little bit of food and a couple of articles of clothing.  I wasn't able to start warming up even indoors... so I didn't take time to try and take stock of my inventory.  Instead I made my way down to the Draft Dodger's Cabin.  There the bed was warm enough for me take a one hour nap.  After that I was able to take a quick look through the cabin and take a look at my inventory.  As expected, I didn't have much to work with.  I had at least enough food for a night, but that's about it.  I had to try and make the trek to the Pleasant Valley Outbuildings.

I managed to find a pry bar, but didn't have much cause to use it (the lockers were all empty).  I also picked up some quality tools, warmed up in the truck for a little bit, and made the push to get over to Thomson's Crossing.  I stopped off at the church, but didn't find much there.  I took the opportunity to make a save point so I could end the session.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'll have to stick close to beds until I can find a bedroll and some matches.
I've not yet spotted any wolves out and about... so that's fortunate.  I know I'll need to keep moving, but I'm not sure where I should go next.  I'm not the type try and memorize where things are guaranteed to spawn, so while that will make things more chancy for me; I'd just rather try to rely on being able to adapt to my situation.  So far, I was able to at least get a ski jacket, as well as a hat and gloves.  At least I have less to worry about from frost bite.  It's only been about 9 in-game hours... but I think I'm off to a reasonably good start. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 2

Over the next couple of days I was able to search though Thomson's Crossing and make the loop through Pensive Pond, Signal Hill, and Pleasant Valley Farmstead.  On the way back to Thomson's Crossing I checked over the Pleasant Valley Out Buildings again (and found a few things I'd missed the first time).  I had to wait out a couple of blizzards along the way (one overnight at Signal Hill, and another at the Farmstead).  I did a little cooking at the Farmstead (just some canned goods and water prep), but I figured I'd use the time waiting out the blizzard to work on my cooking skill a little bit.  I'd picked up a few skill books, but frankly I don't have enough food to spend time reading them right now.  I think I'll just stash them back at the Community Hall for later.

On the trip back to Thomson's Crossing, I grabbed a couple of rabbits so I could spend an extra day there to get things sorted out, and get ready to try and leave Pleasant Valley.  That night I cooked up my rabbits, sorted & stored everything that I didn't think I'd need to move on, and pulled a couple of decent torches from the fire (I knew I'd need one for lighting future fires... and another to try and make it through the mine; since I still don't have a storm lantern or a flare).

As far as gear, I'm going fairly well.  I've managed to find two pair of combat pants, two ski jackets, work gloves, one pair of thermal underwear, and work boots (not the best, but better off than I was).  I also found three packs of stick matches... so I'm good on fire for the time being.  I don't tend to start a fire unless I really need it, so 24 matches should last me a good long while.  I left behind all my fire wood and some of the water I boiled up.  I also left behind a few sewing kits, quality tools, a hacksaw, heavy hammer, and disinfectant (I grabbed a few pieces of Lichen - so I'm covered in that area already).  As I mentioned before, I also stashed my skill books.  I can't really afford to sink calories into reading books right now.  Once I can get a steady food source going, I'll come back for them.  I left a few more odds and ends behind but I don't really remember offhand exactly everything that I found.  All the food I have is coming with me of course, and all my cloth and leather.  So far, all I have to defend myself are rocks... but I've been able to evade and avoid the wolves so far.

The next morning I made the trek up to the mine.  I used up one match to get my torch lit and tried to make my way though as quickly as I could (picking up coal as I went).  However, it quickly became apparent that I was going to need more than one torch to make it to the other side.  I turned around and ran back before my torch burnt out... but just barely.  I should have known I would need an extra torch, and now I wasted a match.  Oh well...

I went back to Thomson's Crossing, grabbed two more rabbits (one near the mining road, and another on the river a little further back behind the church).  As I approached the Community Hall, I hear a wolf howl that was disturbingly close!  I figured I must have drawn that wolf from a good distance away (I did harvest up the meat while I was warming up in the church - which of course drastically increased the sent I was giving off).  I then high tailed it inside, and settled in for another night of cooking and preparing three torches (picking the ones between 47% & 33% and scraping the rest) for another attempt the following day.

The next morning, I sacrificed another match but was able to get though the mine (using my current torch to light the next one before it went out).  I did manage to pick up a stim, 36 pieces of coal, and a lantern (I wasn't going to use it, but at least I had it for the future).  As I was approaching the exit on the Coastal Highway side... I heard that there was a blizzard raging outside.  "Great," I thought, "this is exactly what I was trying to avoid by getting out of Pleasant Valley..."  :D

For the sake of gaining a little more ground, I decided to brave the storm and follow the road down the slope to the Trailer.  I had no idea whether the trailer would be there, or be burned out in Interloper, but I took the chance anyway.  I managed to get inside right as I started freezing.  I was finally getting my condition back up, and I really didn't want to take another major hit now... but I didn't see much choice.  Each shelter I can manage to reach was a slim chance for more food or clothing, so I felt it was worth the risk.  I didn't find much more than a candy bar there... but it was something (and I didn't noticeably loose much condition).  I'll call that a win for the day.

I took a short nap (3 hours) and fortunately the storm passed while I was sleeping.  I still had a decent chunk of the afternoon, so I trekked back up the hill to visit the Abandoned Lookout.  I cautiously made my way, and thankfully the road was clear.  I found a box of stick matches, some food, but not much else.  I figured I had just enough time to make it down to the Fishing Village before dark, so I didn't stay long.  I took the route I figured was more or less safe.  I followed the upper road, but got off before the switchback, and followed the slopes a little farther along before working my way down to the road.  This put me right in front of the Fishing Village, but I had to keep a watchful eye out for the bear.  I was able to search all three cabins and two nearby fishing huts before it started snowing and getting too dark.  As I was following the road back I head the bear.  I got low and stopped dead in my tracks.  From the sounds, I guessed it must have been ambling by in front of the cabins.  Fortunate that I took the longer way around, or I might have come nose-to-nose with it.

I carefully continued along the far side of the road, hoping it hadn't caught wind of me.  Fortunately I was able to make my way around slip into the cabin unnoticed.  It was also a little nerve wracking because I could also hear the wolf out by the pier yelping and running from the bear.  I kind of held my breath as I approached the cabin... it would be just my luck for it to come running right up in my direction, but my luck held. :D

I ate two cans of some rather sketchy Pinnacle Peaches (in the low 40s), but thankfully didn't get sick.  Slept hard for the rest of the night, and ended the session.

So far I'd managed to find and pick up one piece of scrap metal, and I realized I probably should have brought the Hammer and Hacksaw with me.
I kind of don't like that I feel I'm being funneled towards the forge.  I mean due to the circumstances it makes sense, and I know I'll have to get over there if I'm ever want to get a knife or an axe (not to mention making arrowheads).  Part of me wants to see if I can keep making progress without them.  I think for now, I'm just going to focus on seeing what I can find and scavenge.  In retrospect it was probably a mistake to leave behind the Hammer and Hacksaw, but I'm willing to bet I might find them elsewhere too.  If I have to go back, then fine... I'm sure I'll be able to make the additional trip to get them, but for now I kind of want to see how well I can do without.

I suppose for my next session I'll see what I find out on the islands and fishing huts.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

That morning I was able to make my way, and search through, most of the Fishing Huts and both islands.  Naturally I didn't find much, but of note I was able to find a little more food, some clothing, more stick matches, and three fishhooks.  As I was on my way back to the Fishing Camp, I noticed that I was warm enough to stay out a bit longer (that is to say my "feels like" temperature was slightly above zero).  I decided to head further out on the ice to check the Fishing Hut on the far side and continue on towards the bridge.  I had to change my route once I spotted the wolf making it's way out on the ice.  I tried taking a longer way around (heading back to the road), and I accidentally spooked a deer.  Unfortunately it was running straight towards the wolf, and it wasn't long before the wolf took it down.  I was hoping I might get some free venison, and ran the wolf off the carcass.  However, the wolf continued to mill around the carcass... so I ended up missing out on that opportunity.

When I got to the bridge I checked over the car (only found a candy bar and a skill book about revolvers :D).  I decided to head up the slope to check out the cabin that sits between the Bear Creek Campground and the Fishing Camp.  Unfortunately the cabin was burned out, so I went back down to the road to see if I could get to the car I'd spotted over near The Tooth.  The way was reasonably clear and inside the car I found a Heavy Hammer.  By this time it was starting to get dark, so I returned to the Fishing Camp to sleep.

I'd also managed to get over to the Log Sort, but I didn't find much of note.  I'm still hoping to find a bedroll, but I've not had much luck so far.  I still have yet to get to the Quonset Garage and Waterfront Cottages.  Beyond that I think there are only a hand full of more minor locations left to visit.

I decided to leave the coal and heavy hammer out in the nearby Fishing Hut.  This way when the time comes that I want to head to a forge, I'll have quick access so most of what I'd need.  I do still need more metal (so far I've only found one piece of scrap), but cloth isn't an issue.

I did take a look out on the ice, but I didn't anything I considered worth the risk at this point (just sticks and cedar).  I know I should clear them out so that perhaps something more valuable can wash up... but I just don't think I'm in a good enough position to take risk just now.

I may have to go on a rabbit hunt soon.  So far I'm able to find more food than I'm consuming... but that's not sustainable.  I kind of want to keep a comfortable stock of food on hand, so I think it would be a good idea to subsidize with rabbit (since it's all I can really get at the moment).  Once I can make some fishing tackle or perhaps make some snares, I will be in a much better situation (as least for food and lantern fuel).

It's too bad I wasn't able to get at that deer before it froze... I really could have used the venison.  I suppose I could have lured the wolf back to the car on the bridge.  Oh well... hindsight. :)

This has been a great first week.  It's a little more challenging than I remembered interloper being... but my usual "evade and avoid" playstyle is well suited for it. :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Early the next morning, I decided to go out hunting for rabbits...

My initial intention was to just grab two of them over by the bridge at the mouth of Bear Creek.  However, when I got there I only saw one rabbit traipsing around, so I opted to go over to the area between the burned out cabin and the Bear Creek Campground.  Here I was able to catch two rabbit (while keeping a watchful eye out for bears or possibly wolves attracted by the scent I was now giving off).  As I made my way back to the Fishing Camp I decided to stop by the Bridge again.  This time, I spotted two rabbits (might have just been out of sight the first time).  I felt this was pretty fortuitous, since I was now going to effectively double what I'd planned on bringing back with me.  As I was heading back to the road, I head the snarl of a wolf that must have been roaming around further up the creek.  Rather than lose stones trying to run it off... I decided to just cautiously run back to the Fishing Camp.  Luckily, I didn't see the bear ambling ahead of me and I was able to get back to my Cabin with out issue.

That late afternoon, as I was starting to harvest my rabbits by hand... the weather outside turned horrid (I ended up having to wait out back-to-back blizzards).  Once I was done harvesting the just the meat, I decided to risk taking a run over to my Fishing Hut (figuring I could at least make some use of the storm).  Thankfully, it appeared that the wildlife is was taking cover as well.  The way was clear, I was able to drop off the meat in the Fishing Hut, and hightail it back to my cabin; costing me only getting rather cold, fairly wet, and a little extra wear & tear on my clothing.  I spent the rest of the evening harvesting up the rest of the rabbits (raw hide and gut), ate, and went to bed.

Much to my chagrin, as I was waking up... another blizzard was raging outside.  Is the weather in Interloper really this rough... or am I just really unlucky and getting Pleasant Valley weather here in Coastal Highway? :D

This wasn't ideal... I was getting dangerously low on water.  In fact I drank the last of my supply when I woke up this morning.  I did try getting all my supplies sorted out again, and attempted a couple of minor repairs.  After a couple of hours, it was clear that this storm wasn't likely to let up any time soon.  I know I didn't have much for fuel (since I want to keep the coal and ceder in reserve for now), but I figured I had enough sticks to last me for a couple of batches of water at least.  Once again I sprinted out to the Fishing Hut, lit my torch, and got a fire going in the stove.

After the first batch of water, the fire was good and warm.  While I was boiling up the second batch the storm had abated, so I went out to look for more sticks (I wasn't going to be able to keep the fire going for much longer).  I was able to gather up enough sticks to get two batches of water done, as well as cook up the evening meal.  I made it back to my cabin at the Fishing Camp and settled in for the night.

The following morning, I decided I wanted to head back up Bear Creek to see what I might find.  I decided to take the longer route around (rather than follow the creek itself, as I already new there to be both a bear and a wolf prowling the area).  I quickly searched  the Bear Creek Campground (finding nothing), and on up to cabin at Rabbit Grove (finding only a Recycled Can).  ...and then... another blizzard hit.  :D

This again kept me pinned down for the majority of the day.  So, I waited it out.

The next morning, I went further up the slope and followed the tracks over to the Train Unloading to search though the Trailer (finding only one piece of cloth).  At this rate, the whole hike has kind of felt like a waste of resources.  I was determined to try and make day's food and water count... so I decide I would scout out the Switchback and see if it was clear for passage.  It looked safe enough, but I decided to go off the trail anyway.  I headed over to the secluded cabin just down the hill (finding one pair of ragged Fleece Mittens).  Then I opted to head back towards the switchback again and check out the trailer just below it (where I found nothing at all).  Foul luck on this particular trip... :D

I eventually decided to just head back to the Fishing Camp.  This trip was a bust... but at least I have was able to get those places searched.

As I got back to my main encampment and got settled in for the night... yet another blizzard hit.  I kind of just sighed to myself, "That's fine... that's fine.  I'm about to go to bed anyway."  However, by the next morning the storm had not yet blown over.  I was not about to let myself get pinned down and have to use up another day's worth of rations... plus I was pretty much out of water again (I had only  .17 liters left with me).  So once again I dashed out to the Fishing Hut, lit my torch, started another fire (but this time focused on the three larger pieces of rabbit meat first).

As the last piece of rabbit meat was finishing up, the storm was beginning to lift.  I put on the first batch of water, and went out to try to gather up more sticks.  The sticks I'd picked up over the last two days of hiking would be enough... but I really wanted build up a good supply of fuel for later on (I don't mind living hand-to-mouth, but eventually I'd like enough of a buffer that I won't need to constant have to press on so hard).

I know I said the hike the other day was kind of a bust... but I suppose that's not entirely true.  Sure, I only found one Recycled can and what we essentially just two pieces of cloth... I did also find more than 80 sticks, and about 17 cattails (stalks & heads).  So in that sense, I did come out of that trip with a net gain (I guess was just hoping for a bedroll or more found food).

As night started to fall (after two batches of water and trips out scrounge for more sticks)... as I was working on the third batch, I was considering one more before going in for the night.  However, that plan changed when the weather cleared, and an aurora started!  This was particularly risky... a bear likes to roam by and the wolf that usually stalks around the pier is also out and about.  With the aurora going... it was likely that the wolf was going to be out with friends.  It turned out I was right.  I had to keep crouched and pitch a stone every time one got close enough to catch wind of me.  Thankfully, I was still well practiced at "throwing from the hip."  I was able to avoid provoking them into a charge by not aiming in... and managing to still hit them with the stone would run them off.  Eventually the bear aurora charged bear skulked through and tossed everything into chaos. :D

I had at least two wolves (maybe three???) sprinting in all directions.  At least one of them fleeing past and behind my Fishing Hut.  The other(s) I lost track of... which was not good, if I'm going to try and plan a way to get back to my cabin.  If nothing else, I was going to have to wait until the bear was father away (at the very least).

As the third batch of water was finishing up I decided what my play was going to be.  I gathered up the water, the pot, picked out a decent torch, grabbed the three pieced of cooked rabbit meat, and use the last of my "energy" to sprint over straight towards the road.  Naturally the wolves started stalking me immediately when I stood up... but I was far enough from them that I was able to bolt out away from them.  I had to watch out for the bear too... it might be heading back up the road, it could be right up the road ahead of me, or could be skulking through the Fishing Camp again.  I had no way to know, but I had to move and I had to move carefully.

I figured if the bear was in the Camp... it would probably spook the wolves.  Since that wasn't happening yet, I could risk assuming that it wasn't there.  I didn't see it on the road behind me... so I just continued forward.  Luckily the way was clear, and I was able to get up the snowbank and sprint to my cabin to get away clean.

And after that I said to myself, "Well... that's enough for this session."  :D

I'm really looking forward to these guts curing up.  Once that's done, I can make fishing tackle and snares.  Once I get a stable food source I can keep my found food in reserve to travel to the next region (I'm thinking Mystery Lake).  I know I should be setting my sights on Desolation Point... but I just don't want to feel like I have to go to the forge.  I'm curious to see if I can start thriving without those things the forge can provide.  :)

I guess this is my mini-challenge for this little Interloper Refresher Course.
I did finally settle on a name for this run... I'm calling it, "Testing Fate."

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Today I was determined to get to the Quonset Garage.
I left relatively early in the morning (risky, I suppose, due the lower temperatures).  I kept out on the ice moving parallel to the road.  This way I clearly see and avoid any wolves that might be prowling close to the shore.  Surprisingly, the way was clear all the way past the Log Sort, but I had to take refuge from the cold in nearby mine entrance.  I waited just long enough to get warmed up (most of the way), and followed the road towards the Coastal Townsite.  I had to take the side road in order to get a look at where any wolves might be prowling.  I went on further to stop off at the trailer up on the hill, since I was getting very cold very quickly.  I warmed up a bit and searched though the trailer.

Afterward, I followed the road to the Silent Clearing and then down to the lone waterfront cabin outside the townsite.  However, it was burned out (as were all but one of the houses at the townsite itself).  There were two wolves prowling around: one very close to the Quonset Garage, and the other milling around very near the house farthest back towards the side road that I'd walked up a little while before.  I decided to use a stealthy approach and kept crouched as I neared the cars in front of the Quonset Garage.

At this point I found out about an apparently recent change... I discovered that if I enter a car crouched, that gets reset when I get inside.  The result is that when I get out of the car... I'm standing again.  This makes my stealth approach a bit trickier now.  I had to ensure to quickly crouch as soon as I step out... however this cause the nearby wolf to catch my sent and start "investigating."  I had to take it slow and wait for the wolf to wander off again in order to try and slink closer to my goal.  I was able to get inside without incident, but it was a very tense few minutes. :D

Inside the Quonset I searched everything as thoroughly as I could before dark.  Unfortunately, still no bedroll.  The next morning I searched the rest of the Quonset, taking the time to breakdown all cardboard boxes and crates (however this didn't turn up any hidden gear or supplies).  I did however find more more tools and first aid items.  More importantly I found a hacksaw in the large toolbox.  I counted this as a victory and pensively stepped outside to see if I could get out of the area and back to the Fishing Camp.  As luck would have it, the two wolves had moved on (likely out on the ice).  I took advantage and headed back (taking the longer route around Log Sort out on the ice.  I used the fishing huts as wind breaks, and eventually made it back to my cabin at the Fishing Camp.

That evening (and for most of the next day) the bear had a habit of wandering though the camp.  Having to be very cautious of both the cold and the bear... I spent several hours crafting some line, two sets of fishing tackle, and two snares.  That night there was a blizzard, but thankfully that storm broke by morning.  The next day I was determined to get my snares set.  At first I thought I would set them up in the clearing near the Bear Creek Campground... however, that happens to be the root that the bear is favoring lately... so I settled on the lower part of Jackrabbit Island instead.  As I was heading back down to my cabin to warm up, I spotted the wolf from over by the bridge had just taken down a deer.  I decided that I would take advantage this time.  So true to the plan: I ran the wolf off the carcass, then I got the wolf's attention, and gave it the slip after luring it back to the car up on the bridge.  After it started wandering away again, I hopped out of the car and ran back out on the ice.  I could only harvest 2 kg of meat before it froze too much for me to keep harvesting by hand.

After dropping that off, I decided I would start up a fire in my Fishing Hut to work on more water and more quickly warm up.  I also use this as an opportunity to cook the venison, gather more sticks, and eventually getting my snares setup before dark.  I stayed up a couple extra hours, built up a decent supply of water again, and went back my Cabin to get a good night's sleep.

While I didn't find a bedroll, I did at least find a hacksaw... so now I have everything I might need for when I will eventually want to make the trip to Desolation Point to get at the forge in the Riken.  However, I'm still going to put off that trip... I only have two scraps of metal now, and I still at least want to search though Mystery Lake first.

I'm eager to start checking my traps.  The sooner I can get some more gut (so I can craft more snares) the better.  I will try my hand at fishing a little bit... but I only have two sets of fishing tackle (can't really afford to lose them, so I probably won't press my luck with too much fishing for now).  I do have a skill book on ice fishing, so once I get a good surplus of rabbit meat I'll finally read that.

I've made it about two weeks now... so far, I think it's going fairly well.  I think I'll want to get moving on to Mystery Lake soon, but I think it might be wise to see if I can build up a small store of rabbit meat first.  I suppose I'll have to think on it a bit more.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I didn't get too much accomplished in this session (it was a bit of a shorter one).

I spent most of my day over on Jackrabbit Island.  However, only one of my two snares caught a rabbit.  After resetting the snare (and relocating the other a little bit) I alternated my time between going inside to warm up & harvest, and going outside to stun/grab another rabbit that was milling around outside.  All together, I grabbed and harvested four rabbits.  I spend the rest of the evening and part of the night in the Fishing Hut near the Fishing Camp, but this time just focusing on boiling water.

I woke up the next morning to the sound of another blizzard raging outside...

That was about all I had time for today. :D

I left the raw hide and guts to cure in the cabin on Jackrabbit Island.  Once those get cured up, that will be four more snares I can get set up.  By then, I imagine the catch will be more steady and I should have more leeway to think about reading some skill books (and moving on to Mystery Lake).

Weather permitting I do need to go on a few trips with the sole purpose of collecting up sticks.  I'd ideally like to keep about 24 hours worth around the hut, and right now I have only 80.  Which is about half of what I would generally consider to be a decent stockpile.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hmm... another session where not a lot got done.  I'm beginning to think I've made a small strategic error. :D
I'm beginning to think I may have been too hasty in trying to start my surplus food cache.  As of the end of this session, all my cooked meat has been consumed (and only a few raw pieces on hand to cook up).  I've been able to stay off of my "found food" supply for nearly a week, but at the moment I'm barely able to keep my head of above water (so-to-speak).

So I figure I have two choices:
I can continue to try work through this slow rough patch, and probably have six or more snares set up in a few more days.
I could just leave things here as they are and continue on with nomadic exploration.

In both cases I'm still going to be living from hand-to-mouth for a little while longer no mater what I choose to do.  However, I acknowledge that my "found food" supply was growing despite also having to survive on it.  I do still have a couple more items I need to find for my "essentials kit" (missing a bedroll and a mag. lens).  I know I was able to make more consistent progress by staying always on the move.  However, I could only establish caches of gear... but not food (as I had to constantly be rationing to live on whatever I could scrounge up).

On the other hand, I suppose if I do some more active rabbit hunting to subsidize my snares for a few days, I should be more or less out of this progress slump.  If I can manage that... then I would be able to bring my snares with me to setup anyplace near by that I want to establish and encampment.  The long term benefits might be better.  If I have a decent number of snares (along with cured gut on hand for "fixing up" ruined traps), then I when I resume searching and scrounging I could be letting putting all of the found food towards stop over caches.   ...arguably that might be better in the long run.

Perhaps, I'm just getting fidgety due to the wonderlust that usually drives the early part of my runs.  I'm genuinely going to have to think on what the best course of action is going to be for me...

All things considered, I can say I've at least achieved a decent measure of subsistence.  I wouldn't say I'm thriving yet, but I'm capable of gathering up enough food and water to survive day-to-day.  I don't need fire as much as I thought I would, but I can tell the world is already dramatically colder.  I am finding that I can spend more time outside in the late afternoon and evening.  It's nearing 20 days now, and I've still not even had the slightest risk of cabin fever... so that still seems easy enough to avoid (even in the early days of Interloper).

I've decided to hold off on fishing until I can get a couple of my skill books read... I figure this way I can reduce losses to breakage.

Part of me thinks I need to keep being patient and let this plan play out a little longer... if I can manage to not touch my current reserve food stores (all decent condition found food items), then I can't say I'd be at a net loss for anything but time.  Perhaps that really will be worth it in a few more game days when I can start getting more snares working for me.

On the other hand, the farther I wonder... the more I will find.  Perhaps I'd do better by taking my two snares and roam on, slowly building up my capacity along the way.

I was hoping that I would have been able to make up my mind by the time I was done writing this...  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@Ahatch

I still think that I'm going to put off going to the forge for a while longer.
I mean I have every I need for the forge (heavy hammer, hacksaw, and coal), I just still want to see if I can start thriving in Interloper without knife, axe, or bow.  (and I think I'm pretty close to achieving that)

I think I'm on day 18 or 19... I forgot to go look up the day count before stopping for the day.

As I think about it... if I can manage to start thriving without any crafted tools or weapons, I may not end up going to the forge at all.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Riken is about a good days walk from the fish camp anyway. If you haven't found the bedroll yet it will pretty much impossible to survive unless you have a snow shelter and lucky enough to keep a fire going in front of it to get a good sleep. Of course you could go to Mystery Lake and look for it and head to Spence Farmstead. 

• Like 1

@Ahatch

I know I'll need to stick close to beds until I get a bedroll, but I think it's doable.  I find that are enough places I can get to with either a bed or pine bough bed, that I don't think I'd really ever need a snow shelter.  Although, I suppose if I was caught out in a blizzard I would use one... but honestly that's the only scenario where I could say I would build and use a snow shelter (purely in a dire emergency).

[Addendum]
Realizing you might have been referring to a trip to Desolation Point from my current location:  While it would be a hard push, I'd say that would be doable too.  However, it is possible that I'd have to forgo one night's sleep to get there, but if careful I wouldn't have much reason to need to run.  Given that, I think it could be done.  The hit to condition due fatigue would be decently manageable until I could get to a bed at either the Riken itself or The Lonely Lighthouse.  Though that might not be necessary either, I think there is a pine bough bed in the cave near The Arch... if I remember correctly (and if not then just try to press on towards one of the aforementioned locations).

I'm definitely testing fate as much as my skills on this run... but for me that's the fun of it.
If I can demonstrate to myself that I can survive & thrive on Interloper without needing crafted tools/weapons... or even without a bedroll, I'll be supremely happy with the run.  :)  We'll see how far I can get.

[Addendum]
Don't get me wrong, I still would like to find a bedroll of course... I'm just not really worried if I don't find one in the near future since I'm still doing alright without it.

Edited by ManicManiac

I know I had more than one interloper run end trying to leave Desolation Point to go to Coastal Highway because I lost so much condition on the Crumbling Highway to Misandres House stretch. I would also crawl over to the basement then sneak to the exit but die right as I enter Coastal. That was usually a result of starvation as DP doesn't have that great of starting food and if you stay there too long at the start you put yourself in a tough spot. 

Anyway keep us posted as this is the best part of the interloper runs the first 30 days are the ones that determine if the run will be a long one or end in death. 

• Like 1

@Ahatch I really appreciate the heads up, regarding some of your personal experiences.  Starting a run after initially spawning in Desolation Point is definitely a rougher situation to try and work with.  It's that kind of harsh randomness that I do enjoy about Interloper... just tying to make the most of whatever unfortunate situation we're dealt.  :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't able to get a session in today, unfortunately.
However, I did mull over my options a little more...

I will stay just to gather up the guts I've already put out to cure.  However, rather than trying to start accumulating food stores in preparation to start branching out to other regions, I'm going to get back to the more nomadic strategy that I had in mind when I got started with this run.  While I do think more snares would come in handy, I think I'll just be crafting those a little more as I go.  I figure this way, the road ahead will still be more of a struggle that I can then lessen a little bit as I explore (as opposed to arriving at a new location ready to establish an outpost straight away).  :D

I've realized that I was starting to fall into the trap of trying to homestead (because I suppose it felt safer), and that's not really what I wanted to be doing.  So instead, I think I will focus more on trying to stay more mobile.

Don't get me wrong, I think the homesteading sort of strategy would work out very well.  However, the more I think about it... I just don't really want to settle down in one spot when I have so much more of Great Bear Island to see and search through.  Plus, if I am going to be struggling to eventually get to where I can start staying well fed... I think I would like to make more progress through the regions while I do that.  :)

So yeah, I will wait another day or two in order to gather up what I've already started curing... but I'm going to abandon my previous idea of establishing the more permanent encampments that I had setup in my previous run.

Edited by ManicManiac

Early in the morning, I did my best to stick close to the cabin.  I've been trying to maximize my "outside" time. :D
(As of the end of this session, I'm on day 21... still not even a hint of Cabin Fever risk, and I'm kind of proud of that)

I spent the morning out finding sticks, or doing small sorting/mending tasks outside.  When I got to cold I would only spend enough time indoors to restore enough warmth in order to spend more time outside again.  By around noon, I went back to Jackrabbit island.  I collected up two more rabbits from my snares, picked up said snares, collected up the 4 guts that had cured (along with all pelts that had cured by then), and made the trek back to the Fishing Camp.  I had to wait a while to do any harvesting.  The rabbits must been "caught" earlier in the day... they were already frozen sold by the time I got to them.  I spent as much time harvesting outside as I could, but made good on the time spent warming up by performing short harvesting tasks.  This earned me Carcass Harvesting Lv. 3.  :)

After finishing that task, I hauled the meat to the Fishing Hut and got a fire going.  On the stove I got a pot of water boiling, and use the campfire outside to do the actual cooking.  Even though the wind was relatively calm today, I still kept the burn time short and tended it carefully (just one stick at a time).  I managed to get a couple batches of water finished up (with still a good 100 sticks in the overhead container, constituting the reserve supply) before heading back to my cabin.  I still spent a good deal of time out on the "porch" that night until I got sufficiently tired before heading in to bed.

Sometime in the mid-morning, I done one last quick once over to make sure dropped off what I didn't need and packed up what I really wanted to take with me.  Today was the day I was going to be leaving Coastal Highway.  I've been here long enough for the time being... I have 8 rabbit pelts, 4 cured guts, 4 pieces of reclaimed wood, a few relevant skill books, and my found food stock.  I kind of planned out the route as I went.  I knew I would need to stop off a few times to warm up (at least until it got later in the day).  My first stop was the Cabin at Rabbit Cove.  As I was making my way up the slope I was surprised that I had attracted the attention of a wolf!  I don't think I'd ever ran into a wolf prowling this far up Bear Creek... but low and behold, there it was.  I didn't really bother with it though, I needed to get to the Train Unloading to warm up in the trailer there (I knew I'd shake off my pursuer in the process - but was a bit surprised that the wolf easily scaled up after me despite me having to carefully shimmy up the last bit of that slope :D ).

After warming back up a bit (I'd say maybe 80%) I set out back down the tracks bound for The Ravine.  I ended up stopping off to warm up for about an hour in each of the two caves there on the upper level.  Since I still have no bedroll I'm not messing around with the ropes just yet.  With no options for beds, I knew I'd have to keep moving until I got to the Trailers outside the Carter Hydro-electric Dam in Mystery Lake.  However I didn't want to leave without checking the train derailment (the one up here at least).  Thankfully, I did.  The stop off yielded a good amount of cattails to add to my food stock and inside the railroad car I found a jerrycan containing a little more than 2 liters of lantern fuel...  I didn't even care that I was starting to run a bit heavy, that jerrycan was coming with me!

I made it out to Mystery Lake in the early evening.  There was still a decent amount of light, so I searched though the two trailers and the road-rail vehicle nearby.  I did find a little bit more food, and even a couple more pieces of scrap to add to the two pieces that I'd picked up near the "upper ravine derailment."

It was a little abrupt, but I ran out of time and had to end the session there.

I think that rather than start combing through the dam, I'm going to try to get to the Camp Office tomorrow to unload my non-essentials.  All things considered, I feel like a good deal of progress was made.  Having two lantern's worth of fuel means I can do much more thorough searches, and even start exploring more caves without having to sacrifice a match.  :D   ...progress.

Edited by ManicManiac

Between the two trailers I'd found a little bit more food (one bag of jerky, a couple cans of soup, and a bag of chips).  I decided to safe the cans of soup for when I could get a fire going (I wanted to get a little cooking experience out of the first).  I ended up having some dogfood and a can of Summit Soda instead.  :D

The next morning, finding the way was clear, I decided to proceed towards the Camp Office.  However, rather than follow the tracks to the derailment, I took route leading through the forest and stopped by cave up at the Mystery Lake Overlook to warm up for a bit.  While there, I found a fire striker!  Then proceeded down the slopes to search through the Camp Office and off load my non-essentials.  In the Camp Office I found a bedroll, and a little bit more food.  I spent the evening cooking my cans of soup and boiling up some more water.  I also crafted up two more snares (saving two of my cured gut to use in case any traps got ruined). 

I spent the next couple of days scavenging around Mystery Lake itself (Lake Cabins, Lone Lake Cabin, and Fishing Huts - mostly), while stopping by the Rabbit Grove (just across the train tracks on the way to the trail leading up to the Forestry Lookout) to setup my snares.  I haven't found much in the Lake Cabins or the Lone Lake Cabin.  Due to wolves being out on the ice I've not yet been able to get to all of the Fishing Huts.

Having built up at least a few days worth of rabbit meat, I decided to pack up my 4 snares and made the hike up to the Forestry Lookout.  While I was up there I found a magnifying lens.  With my "essentials kit" now complete, I decided I would try to head over towards Clear Cut.  However, it was a bit too cold to try and make it up to the old Destroyed Lookout, and instead pressed on to the Lone Cabin (near the Unnamed Pond).  I only spent an hour there to warm up, and quickly moved on past the Unnamed Pond to try and make it to the Trapper's Cabin before nightfall.  I had to take a small detour to avoid a prowling wolf I spotted on the hillside, but made it to the Trapper's Cabin without issue.

In the cabin, as I was feeling around in the dark I found another cooking pot, and in the safe I found a Mackinaw Jacket.  I quickly replaced my inner layer ski jacket with the Mackinaw.  By the time I was finished harvesting the Ski Jacket for cloth, I decided it was time to bed down for the night.

It's now day 26... the decision to get back on the move really paid off quickly.  Between finding the bedroll, fire striker, mag. lens, and the Mackinaw... I'm already much better equipped.  :D

Tomorrow I want to try and complete the loop (heading back towards Max's Last Stand, the Ruined Cabin at Deadfall, and back to the Camp Office).  However, if the weather proves to be too rough, I may just setup my snares and wait it out for a little bit at the Trapper's Cabin.  Overall, I still only have mid-tier clothing... so I do have to stick close to shelter.  If making that long final leg of this loop, proves too treacherous due to the cold... I may head back around to Clear Cut and make for the Logging Camp.  In either case, I think my next goal is going to be getting back to the Carter Hydro-electric Dam and give it a good once over.  I have about 54 cattail stalks now (in addition to the rest of the found food I've picked up), so I'm not worried about eating on the trail.  :)

It's great that I found a bedroll, but I think I'm still going to try and use it a little as possible.  There are plenty of warm beds in Mystery Lake, so I'd rather not subject the bedroll to wear and tear if I can avoid it.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac

Around mid morning, I decided to work on getting back around to the Camp Office.  However as I got near the top of the hill leading around the edge of Max's Last Stand, I spotted the bear beginning to make its rounds.  Rather than try to get down to Max and slip away before the bear got to close, I decided it would be wiser to just duck into the cave (leading towards Mountain Town) just to warm up and wait for the bear to pass through.  I waited about a half hour (in-game time) and went back out there to check on Max and move on.

I was scouting around near Dead Fall, looking for wolves before approaching the cabin.  However, I was getting cold way to fast.  I decided to head back to the Camp Office to warm up.  I started freezing before I could make it back, but the condition hit was minimal.  I spent about an hour getting warmed up, and I returned to Dead Fall (however all I found in the cabin was another cooking pot).  It was still early evening, so after warming up again... I decided on trying to make it to the Logging Camp.  The wind didn't bite as much, so I figured I should be able to make it most of the way before starting to freeze again.  I started on the route to the Forestry Lookout, but slid down the slope that lead to the path just beyond the Frozen Creek.  I ran up the steeper part of the hill and down far side.  As soon as I crested the hill I could see the Logging Camp below.  I got inside and searched each of the three trailers as quickly as I could. 

I didn't find much of interest at the Logging Camp, unfortunately... so I decided to press my luck and made a hard push to get to the Trailers in front of the Carter Hydro-electric Dam.  I took another bit of condition loss from the cold, but made it there safely to bed down for the night.

Early the next morning, devoted the entire day to searching Carter Dam.

Fortune wasn't smiling so much that day though...  I was hoping maybe to find some food and perhaps some better clothing, but that didn't pan out.  I did manage to find a bit of scrap metal and a heavy hammer... but that was about it.  All that was in the safe was a small bundle of cash. :D  I ended up searching the dam from the far end and work my back to the front.  I managed to give the entire place a good once over before heading back out to the trailers.  I was running a little bit heavy, but I wasn't going to off load until I got back to the Camp Office.

The following morning, I scouted out the bridge... just to make sure the way was clear.  I spent perhaps a little more time than I should have down around the frozen river.  Food wise, I'd only managed to break even... so I wanted to pick up as many cattails as I could to help add a little more value to trip.  After grabbing all the stalks I could see, I pressed on to make a quick stop off over at the Train Loading Area.  I knew it probably wasn't wise, but at least I found a candy bar... :D

I soon be freezing, so I took my chances getting up the slope to try and quickly get to the Cave at the Mystery Lake Overlook.  Not long after I made it to the cave a blizzard struck.  The back of the cave was warm enough, so I eventually decided to use my bedroll.  I did have one piece of coal with me and about 30 sticks... so even it got too cold I would have been able to keep it warm in there for about 5 hours.  Thankfully, with the bedroll I managed to stay "above 0" for the whole night.

Over the next couple of days, I setup my snares again in the clearing across the tracks and have been able to snare a few more rabbits.  I also took the time to craft my some Rabbitskin Mitts (which I did while waiting out yet another blizzard that rolled in).  There are a handful of minor locations yet to visit... though I'm not sure how likely it will be that I will find much (the last hunting stand I visit by the unnamed pond just had a gunsmithing book in it :D - which of course does me no good on Interloper).

I'll need to think about what region to visit next...

Even though the trip to the Dam was a bit scant it was a pretty good trip, all things considered.
I think I'll take the time to also craft up a Rabbitskin Hat, and I might craft up 2 more snares.  A bit of a higher food yield would not go unappreciated. :D
I'm also up to carcass harvesting 4... soon I'll be able to start scavenging from those ravaged deer carcasses I've found.  A nice pair of Deerskin Boots would be nice.

It's now day 31... I've officially made it through the first month.  I'm very nearly thriving now... not well fed yet, but I'm getting there.
So far, it looks like I will be able to survive just fine without having to visit a forge. :)

• Like 1

I kept myself between the Camp Office, the rabbit grove just on the other side of the tracks, and the cave near the Mystery Lake Overlook.  I had to fix up two more snares that had gotten ruined, and I also crafted up a rabbitskin hat.  This (combined with a few blizzards) resulted in my first bout with cabin fever risk.  However, it was a relatively low percentage, so one night spent up at the cave took care of that well enough.  I brought up a couple rabbits, and caught a couple more to give me something to work on (though they froze up before I was finished with them).

All things considered it was a reasonably uneventful few days.

I've got a total of six snares working for me now, and I can easily enough set those up if I choose to move on to another region (which I'm thinking about doing soon).  I'm still working on getting to where I can stay well fed, but I'm not quite there yet.  It's day 35 now, and I think I have most of what I really need for the long term.  I'm not ready to call the run successful yet... so I'm going to keep pushing farther.  :)

• Upvote 1

Please keep updating, it is helping me so much. I just started a new interloper game, and your updates are helping me to get through. Also, interloper is way harder than i thought it would be. ☠️

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I wasn't able to get a session in today, unfortunately.

However, I've been mulling over what to do next.  I think I will hole up in the cave near Mystery Lake Overlook for another day or two.  After my slight brush with cabin fever risk... I figure it might be good to accrue a little more outside dwell time.  :D

I'm still trying to decide what region to move on to next.  I don't think I have much reason to risk Hushed River Valley, Forlorn Muskeg, Ash Canyon, or Bleak Inlet... at least not with the clothing I have right now.  I suppose that makes Mountain Town and Timberwolf Mountain as my two likely best choices.  I'll have to think on it some more. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@IamSameer

I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I don't have any plans to visit a forge anytime soon.  I do have everything I need for it now.  I have found two sets of Heavy Hammers and Hacksaws now.  I put together one set and left it in Pleasant Valley, and the other set I put together in Coastal Highway (where I have them stashed with some coal in the Finishing Hut nearest the Fishing Camp).  I figure this way whenever I do decided to trek out to a forge, I can just go pick up what I need and go.

As for Forlorn Muskeg, I haven't been out that way yet... so I'm not sure what I might find there.  I'll probably hold off on FM until I can put together some better clothing.  I could survive well enough out there, but I'd be racing the clock at first to get established.  Right now I'd likely start freezing before I even made it to the Poacher's Camp. :D

Since I'm kind of trying to avoid using a forge, I do have to be mindful of where I'm headed and how long each leg of the trek is going to be (right now all I have for defense are rocks). 
It's a fun struggle... trying to get set up to thrive without at all relying on a bow, arrows, improvised knife, or improvised axe.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1