(OPTIONAL) Goal

Rose of Madmen

I wish the survival mode had a goal, but no time limit and super hard to complete. 

Perhaps: just like in that challenge, you have to find a flare gun, but it can spawn ANYWHERE on the map where normal loot can spawn, and you don't have the time limit. 

... Just some people need goal, or they will get bored easily, I'm one of these people. I love this game, THE BEST survival game Imo, but i got bored quite quick (I'm on my 5th play trough, I'm around 90 days into this save, i explored the gold mine and i think i don't have anything more to do, i can easily reach the summit on TM but i don't see a reason to do this, i haven't been playing the game for about a month and i miss it. 

Can somebody help me to find the point of life? (In the game, and in real life) 

Or even make a mod about that Distress pistol idea 

Challenge_HopelessRescue.png

Hi!

I feel ya. It can get pretty difficult to remain interested in the game at the late game. However, the purpose of a sandbox in a very definition is that it does not have a goal.

So, the solution to your problem is to actually set up goals for yourself. The game is not just about survival, especially in the late game. You are most likely going to have everything you need, and it is easy to spiral down into a routine. So, instead of doing that, set up goals for yourself. Say that for no reason at all, you will travel from your base to Broken railroad and do something there. For example, create outposts. or mark out the bear and moose spawnpoints with the can of spray. 

The world is yours. It is entirely up to you what to do with it. There does not need to be a predetermined goal to the sandbox, in fact, if there was, you would eventually complete it too, and then you would be at the same exact situation you are at right now.

If you have trouble setting up goals for yourself, come by here and in a survival section of the forums, ask others to make a goal for you.

Lets give that a shot - if you would accept my assignment, here is what your goal can be:
The moose hunter challenge: 
Visit these areas to look & hunt for a moose. Take its hide and bring it back to your mainbase and craft the moosehide cloak out of it. 

The location where to look for the moose: 
Hushed river valley - Monolith lake.
Ash Canyon - the burnt patch of the canyon below the exit of the gold mine.
Bleak inlet - the washed out trailers area
Mountain town - Milton basin.

Look for the signs of a moose in these areas. if you find the markings, look for the moose. If its not there, you can try to visit the other areas, but mark this down in your notes. If you cannot find the moose at other areas, you may come back here to try again. After you found a moose, take it down. You may only use bow and arrows to hunt the moose down. After you kill it, make screenshots if you can. Take the hide, tan it and craft it in your main base into a moosehide cloak. After you are done, make a post about it in Survival stories.

This should keep you busy for a while, it is a pretty reasonably difficult challenge, and at the end, if you are successful, you will have a moosehide cloak to commemorate your adventure with a story to tell about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Hi!

I feel ya. It can get pretty difficult to remain interested in the game at the late game. However, the purpose of a sandbox in a very definition is that it does not have a goal.

So, the solution to your problem is to actually set up goals for yourself. The game is not just about survival, especially in the late game. You are most likely going to have everything you need, and it is easy to spiral down into a routine. So, instead of doing that, set up goals for yourself. Say that for no reason at all, you will travel from your base to Broken railroad and do something there. For example, create outposts. or mark out the bear and moose spawnpoints with the can of spray. 

The world is yours. It is entirely up to you what to do with it. There does not need to be a predetermined goal to the sandbox, in fact, if there was, you would eventually complete it too, and then you would be at the same exact situation you are at right now.

If you have trouble setting up goals for yourself, come by here and in a survival section of the forums, ask others to make a goal for you.

Lets give that a shot - if you would accept my assignment, here is what your goal can be:
The moose hunter challenge: 
Visit these areas to look & hunt for a moose. Take its hide and bring it back to your mainbase and craft the moosehide cloak out of it. 

The location where to look for the moose: 
Hushed river valley - Monolith lake.
Ash Canyon - the burnt patch of the canyon below the exit of the gold mine.
Bleak inlet - the washed out trailers area
Mountain town - Milton basin.

Look for the signs of a moose in these areas. if you find the markings, look for the moose. If its not there, you can try to visit the other areas, but mark this down in your notes. If you cannot find the moose at other areas, you may come back here to try again. After you found a moose, take it down. You may only use bow and arrows to hunt the moose down. After you kill it, make screenshots if you can. Take the hide, tan it and craft it in your main base into a moosehide cloak. After you are done, make a post about it in Survival stories.

This should keep you busy for a while, it is a pretty reasonably difficult challenge, and at the end, if you are successful, you will have a moosehide cloak to commemorate your adventure with a story to tell about it.

Thanks, seems fun. Tho hunting is pretty easy in this game, even at max detection range 

You are welcome. Glad you like it. I make challenges like that for myself all the time. Even a less grandioze ones - just think of living in a nature like that, and what you would be doing. Sometimes, it is a mission to go hunting for sticks in the forest. Sometimes it is to go hunt deer to replenish stock. Sometimes it is about a trip to a close coal mine to replenish coal reserves for fishing sessions. Every once in a while, I just set off for a distant region and spend a couple of days there, hunting for screenshots, or a big game. Or I end up mapping the areas, setting up small outposts. 

But in the end, there is no rule against wasting a couple of your stockpiled resources just to go out for a climb and aim to get a nice screenshot in a certain area. 

If it feels like you have enough of everything, it is time to take it easy and go do something just for the sake of doing it.

Maybe I should re-iterate: I usually write down some long term goals for myself, using the Notes in-game. I aim the overal gameplay towards that. Then I set up some mid-term goals, such as these longer, week-long trips. Then it is setting up some short-term goals, like what I want to achieve in the next day or two. 

There is an added benefit to writing down your long-term goals, is if you have to take a break from the game for a longer period of time, you will get back to it and you will remember, what you were about to do. 

Edited by Mroz4k

On 2/14/2021 at 12:51 PM, Old Hermit said:

Obtaining every all collectibles (cairns, polaroids AND their surveyings, visited locations, etc) could be a big achievement objective itself.

I’ve been working on this on my current save, helps the days to pass more quickly. 

Edited by The Ravages of Time