Moose respawn times?

hozz1235

The "Time to Respawn" setting is "Medium" on all the standard difficulty modes - Pilgrim, Voyageur, Stalker and Interloper; so it should be roughly the same for all.  I do think the formula is more complex though than just counting off the number of days between spawns, providing at least some variability within each individual setting.  The setting bar in Custom Mode ranges from "Low" to "Very High" with the "Low" setting providing the fastest respawn rate.   I also think the settings for "Respawn Chance" for each animal also has an effect on this.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 1/24/2021 at 7:02 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

The "Time to Respawn" setting is "Medium" on all the standard difficulty modes - Pilgrim, Voyageur, Stalker and Interloper; so it should be roughly the same for all.  I do think the formula is more complex though than just counting off the number of days between spawns, providing at least some variability within each individual setting.  The setting bar in Custom Mode ranges from "Low" to "Very High" with the "Low" setting providing the fastest respawn rate.   I also think the settings for "Respawn Chance" for each animal also has an effect on this.

I have timed other spawns (bear & deer) and they are fixed.  I know moose have "spawn areas" in which they may spawn, which is why I think I was lucky to kill it, and have it re-spawn at 37 days.  I would expect the respawn "counter" to be longer for moose just as it is for rabbit --> deer --> bear.

43 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I have timed other spawns (bear & deer) and they are fixed.  I know moose have "spawn areas" in which they may spawn, which is why I think I was lucky to kill it, and have it re-spawn at 37 days.  I would expect the respawn "counter" to be longer for moose just as it is for rabbit --> deer --> bear.

As a focused test - I'll do a new custom run in Broken Railroad with the "Time to Respaw set to "Low"  I'll make sure I get a moose and bear spawn in the zone by setting the spawn chance for both of them to "very high."  I'll turn passive animals on so my long-term survival should be assured and I'll count the days between respawns to see if they are consistent.  With these settings, it shouldn't take too long to get a definitive answer.

ETA:  As a further precaution, I'll also set the "reduce Wildlife Population Over Time" setting to "None" because this would affect the respawn over the long term.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Preliminary results on Broken Railroad test - i.e. settings as described above and player hasn't left Broken Railroad zone.

Bear was present on Day 1.  I had to hunt for a weapon, so he was shot and confirmed killed at about noon on Day 3 (per daily log, not days survived).  He has just respawned and it is about noon on Day 8 per the daily log.  I will probably be able to get around to shooting him again in the morning of Day 9.

There are moose rubbings by the bridge to go up to the lodge, but no moose has spawned anywhere in the zone as of yet.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Bear are confirmed as respawning on a simple day count... in this case it is every 7 days with time to respawn set to "Low"  (I must have been a day off when I shot the first one).  However, a moose has yet to spawn in this file despite the presence of rubbings.  I'm speculating that the high frequency of bear respawns is somehow interfering with the moose respawns.  Therefore, I'm going to start a new file in Broken Railroad and lower the bear spawn chance back down to "Low" to see if I can get the moose spawning and respawning in this area.

I think that, despite the settings, and the internal "day counter", we are not guaranteed a moose spawn in rubbing areas.  This is what makes this very difficult to test because, as I experienced, I did see a moose spawn in the same rubbing area, albeit 37 days apart, so conceivably, I could of missed a "cycle" if the true internal day counter is more like 18.  I would expect, but no guarantee, that the moose day timer would be longer than bear, which is 16 given my current settings.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I think that, despite the settings, and the internal "day counter", we are not guaranteed a moose spawn in rubbing areas.  This is what makes this very difficult to test because, as I experienced, I did see a moose spawn in the same rubbing area, albeit 37 days apart, so conceivably, I could of missed a "cycle" if the true internal day counter is more like 18.  I would expect, but no guarantee, that the moose day timer would be longer than bear, which is 16 given my current settings.

Well, in my new file, I've got some variance with the bear.  Here's the tale so far:  The bear did not appear to be up at the start, but spawned in on Day 3 and I shot him at about noon on Day 4 (per daiily log).  He respawned 6 days later on day 10 and I shot him at about 10am on that day, then I spotted him again only 5 days later (on the morning of Day 15 and I've shot him again).

The moose was up at the start... by the lodge, but the rifle was not in the lodge (I had to climb into the area under the broken bridge to get it).  When I came back up, the moose was no where to be found.  He respawned on Day 5 and I shot him on Day 5.   I again spotted him briefly on Day 16, but when I went inside the lodge to get the rifle and came back out, he had despawned again.  It is now Day 19 and he has not yet respawned.

I can't play anymore today, so I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

I'm confused as to why the bear is now respawning more frequently than he did on the previous test run.  I changed the bear spawn chance from "very high" to "low"... and that's the only change I made between the two files.  He is, I believe, a guaranteed bear spawn in Broken Railroad (at least I've never had a run where he hasn't spawned there).  I'm wondering in increased the spawn chance increases the number of possible places the animals can spawn... and, if there is a maximum that can be up at one time, this would spread them out farther over the whole map and, by chance, reduce their respawning in any single given location.  I'll keep with this save for tomorrow, but then I may just test this out by changing the moose spawn chance to "low" instead of very high and rolling BR starts untill I see rubbings.  If that causes them to spawn more frequently (as seems to be the case with the bears), it may be what's skewing the moose spawns in general.

Well... the bear continues to respawn in this zone every 5 days.  I have no explanation as to why it is different than the first file IF the only factor involved is the "Time to Respawn" setting... which was set to "Low" both times.  The moose has not respawned since the brief sighting on Day 16 after being shot on day 5 (11-day interval).  It is now day 32.  I'll continue with the file tomorrow to day 42 (i.e. 5 days past the 37-day mark you noted), but I honestly believe there is more at play here than a simple day-count of respawn times.

BTW:  My character has not left Broken Railroad at all to this point.  My rifle is in pretty poor shape and I have no cleaning kits.  I also have no hammer, so forging is not possible.  Bullets are also getting pretty low.

Good research!  There must be some kind of day counter variable, otherwise, it may be possible for the moose to spawn every day, or not for 50 days! 

I really wish Hinterland would give us more detailed information on what each of the custom settings do.  It has seemed from the very beginning of custom settings, there that was confusion as to what they mean, which in turn made it difficult to "tune" the game just the way you want (which is the reason for custom?).  I understand some variability is always necessary to keep it "interesting", but to me it feels like there is TOO much.

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Good research!  There must be some kind of day counter variable, otherwise, it may be possible for the moose to spawn every day, or not for 50 days! 

I really wish Hinterland would give us more detailed information on what each of the custom settings do.  It has seemed from the very beginning of custom settings, there that was confusion as to what they mean, which in turn made it difficult to "tune" the game just the way you want (which is the reason for custom?).  I understand some variability is always necessary to keep it "interesting", but to me it feels like there is TOO much.

I'm still at it... Finally, a moose respawned in the area on the morning of Day 39 and it stayed up while I went inside the lodge to get the rifle.  It was dead by 10 am on day 39.  I'm doubtful I'll be able to shoot the next one unless I leave the zone to find more ammo (which I don't really want to do lest it trigger another variable factor), but I'll continue to play the save tomorrow until he respawns again... hopefully it's not too, too long.