Lose more heat when eating cold/frozen stuff

upnorth

If you find food in nature, it should reasonably be very cold or even frozen. Eating it without heating it first, should work, but should have some sort of penalty. Loss of warmth but perhaps also take longer or drain your energy faster?

Edited by upnorth
  • Upvote 3

Food should have 3 different temperatures:

Cold - when found and eaten outside. And as you said, this will cool you down.

Room-temp - when stored inside and in your backpack. 

Warm - when cooked

Edited by Avril
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Avril said:

Foos should have 3 different temperatures:

Cold - when found and eaten outside. And as you said, this will cool you down.

Room-temp - when stored inside and in your backpack. 

Warm - when cooked

Simply storing it shouldn't put it at room temperature immediately, but perhaps after 12 hours or so? Like how afflictions sometimes get a countdown.

Some foods provide the "warming up" buff when you heat them.  To effectively extend that to all foods would be, IMO, too OP.  Everything else is considered cold and does not provide such a buff, but you are able to chew it.  Making it "frozen" would mean it cannot be eaten at all without heating... and that could seriously impede Loper starts until the player finds a supply of matches sufficient to ensure that they can heat whatever food they find.  The game acknowledges frozen meat by not allowing you to harvest it without an appropriate tool until you reach a high leel of carcass harvesting ability.

I'm not convinced that adding yet another layer of complexity to the existing would really benefit the gameplay across all difficulty levels... therefore, I vote no.

the warming up mechanic is a dangerously slippery slope towards being OP. 
  need for the warmth bonus only applies really to interloper. on all the other levels warmth is not even remotely an issue because of the clothing being so ridiculously OP. 
  But if the warmth bonus was applied “realistically” in interloper- heating water and meat would give the bonus, not just coffee and teas and that would be way OP. 
   the warmth bonus is essential in early interloper and ATDS challenge and comes in handy when harvesting but if all you had to do was drop a fire, cut and cook just a pound of meat and get the warmth bonus while harvesting the rest of the animal that would almost eliminate challenge from the game. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box

24 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Some foods provide the "warming up" buff when you heat them.  To effectively extend that to all foods would be, IMO, too OP.  Everything else is considered cold and does not provide such a buff, but you are able to chew it.  Making it "frozen" would mean it cannot be eaten at all without heating... and that could seriously impede Loper starts until the player finds a supply of matches sufficient to ensure that they can heat whatever food they find.  The game acknowledges frozen meat by not allowing you to harvest it without an appropriate tool until you reach a high leel of carcass harvesting ability.

I'm not convinced that adding yet another layer of complexity to the existing would really benefit the gameplay across all difficulty levels... therefore, I vote no.

As @Avril suggested having 3 states of heat for food would represent survival much better than the existing two (warm and room? temperature). So in addition to the logical "buff" of eating hot food, this would be a "debuff" when eating cold food, forcing the player to think through what to eat and when. Which is what's fun about strategic survival. Both resource management and health management. Just pointing out things that I feel pulls me out of the immersion of the game. Wouldn't apply to all foods obviously. I eat cookies straight out of my freezer, so anything with low water content wouldn't be affected. But it's pretty ridiculous to open a can of soup that's been sitting in the snow for a week and be able to eat it no problem ;)

Also, I haven't talked about changing the warm-bonus at all, don't know where you got that from? And it might not be so "OP" if you regularly got both debuffs and buffs depending on if you have time to heat up what you find. Although the whole food mechanic seems pretty broken in general, pretty much only matters during rest?

2 hours ago, upnorth said:

As @Avril suggested having 3 states of heat for food would represent survival much better than the existing two (warm and room? temperature). So in addition to the logical "buff" of eating hot food, this would be a "debuff" when eating cold food, forcing the player to think through what to eat and when. Which is what's fun about strategic survival. Both resource management and health management. Just pointing out things that I feel pulls me out of the immersion of the game. Wouldn't apply to all foods obviously. I eat cookies straight out of my freezer, so anything with low water content wouldn't be affected. But it's pretty ridiculous to open a can of soup that's been sitting in the snow for a week and be able to eat it no problem ;)

Also, I haven't talked about changing the warm-bonus at all, don't know where you got that from? And it might not be so "OP" if you regularly got both debuffs and buffs depending on if you have time to heat up what you find. Although the whole food mechanic seems pretty broken in general, pretty much only matters during rest?

It's currently "hot" and "cold" - Hot meaning within a certain time frame after having come off the fire and "cold" meaning "not frozen."  Animals also have a "frozen" state that impedes harvesting without the proper tool.  Rabbits carried in your inventory will eventually become frozen just as they would sitting in the snow.

"Room temperature" would, in most cases in this game be "frozen" and would be variable for any meat or food being stored inside a place where a stove is occasionally used for cooking... meaning that the condition of food stored indoors should change depending on whether or not the player is lighting a stove or fireplace in that building.  Most times, ambient air temperature inside buildings in Loper difficulty is below freezing (0C) and it is the player's clothing that raises the "feels like" temperature to above 0C.  Depending on the temperature outside and whether or not the player is traveling during the day (sunny) or at night... the realistic temperature of food inside a player's backpack could vary from "thawing" to "freezing" to "frozen."  Frozen food, realistically, cannot be chewed, so whether or not you could even eat whatever you have in your inventory would, if we're being realistic here, vary depending on a number of conditions.  Realistic, one should not be able to find an uncomprovised pop can in the entire game.

The system proposed is not more realistic... just more complicated and, again, IMO, does not benefit gameplay across all difficulty levels.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I like the idea.  Anything that adds realism and gamesmanship 👍.  I hear the other concerns about changing the game with the current difficulty levels.  However, in all reality, TLD isn’t changing much from here on out.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-31-hinterlands-future-plans-include-movies-publishing-and-the-long-dark-2

Hinterland’s started goals are movies, books, and TLD2 along with a fourth (The Long Dark Musical?). Hinterland is looking beyond TLD.  So then what is “wishlist” for?  It’s for whatever is coming next.  
Hinterland has a reason to be concerned.  Look at what happened with shooters.  Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, and others from AAA studios are competing with indie studios with games like Squad and Escape from Tarkov.   Norther Lights isn’t out yet but is basically a stolen story.  Honestly, I hear you, but, don’t be so in love with what we have that it can’t change.  There are basically two types of players here.  Those that are Long Dark fans and survival game fans.  TLD fans are going to stay but the survival game fans will leave for a better survival game.  Hinterland is in a race to prevent that...or maybe they aren’t worried about it.  But if that were true, why is there a wishlist?

16 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The system proposed is not more realistic... just more complicated and, again, IMO, does not benefit gameplay across all difficulty levels.

You know, it's only a suggestion. And you can't possibly know what effect it would have on gameplay before actually using it anyway. Not gonna argue the hypothetical more or less fun with you, as I'm sure we enjoy the game differently in many ways anyway. I've noticed that I would like that feature, so I made a suggestion. Feel free to disagree...

On 12/27/2020 at 9:24 AM, UpUpAway95 said:

[...]Everything else is considered cold and does not provide such a buff, but you are able to chew it.  Making it "frozen" would mean it cannot be eaten at all without heating...

what about the frozen dinners from the crash site? Always bothered me you can't heat those up. I'd shatter all my teeth trying to eat one of those things in a frozen state, like it's presented in the game. lol

2 hours ago, Kranium said:

what about the frozen dinners from the crash site? Always bothered me you can't heat those up. I'd shatter all my teeth trying to eat one of those things in a frozen state, like it's presented in the game. lol

Do they actually say they are "frozen" in the game?  I thought they are just labeled "Airline Food - Chicken" or "Airline Food - Vegetarian."  I don't think airline food is always frozen, but rather it depends on how far in advance of the flight  departing the food is prepared... and how long into the flight before it is served.

To be sure, the game is not realistic... but the devs have said many times that realism was not their primary goal when they designed the game.  The mechanics in respect to food are grossly simplified.... but they do function within the general balance of the game overall.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Still frozen solid, this food tray has all the tasty charm you could expect from reheated chicken, only without the heat.

That's the in-game description. [my bold]

Yeah, it's all about balance. I don't think this item being heat-able would affect much, honestly. To be sure, it's just a niggle IMO.

When realism doesn't matter, then it's a moot point to bring up - on both sides.

I do like the original point that consuming cold items should lower your core temp. At least as an option/difficulty thing.