Wolf Question

Swippity_Swappity

If you attack a wolf, and then hide in a building, will they stick around to attack you once you leave, or will they run off? I shot a wolf because they were sticking around the only entrance to my main storage, and it ran off but started coming back, so I ran inside. Has the wolf despawned? I'm playing on the easiest difficulty btw.

Depends on what you mean by "easiest difficulty."  The easiest standard difficulty in Survival is Pilgrim and, in this difficulty, the animals are passive and will only attack you if provoked.  Spawn distances and detection distances also vary with difficulty.  If you're in Pilgrim mode or the easiest difficulty of Wintermute, the wolf should run from you even if he's still in the area (as long as you don't aim your weapon at him you should be fine to just walk by them).  If you're instead on Voyageur difficulty, then you may indeed get "jumped" when you exit the building.  Crouching before opening the door helps make you less detectable and might enable you to slip off to one side and around the building without the wolf noticing you.  They are unlikely to have despawned though they do have a patrol circuit... so they may be on a different part of their patrol loop at the moment you exit the building.

On the easiest difficulty wolves should be running away from you once you get close.

Wolves outside tend to go away if you spend some time inside. If you go outside again right away it will still be there. But keep in mind that wolves have patrol areas. They don't randomly roam over the whole map. So they don't necessarily go far and on higher difficulties you can attract their attention again under certain circumstances.

Edited by Serenity

2 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Depends on what you mean by "easiest difficulty."  The easiest standard difficulty in Survival is Pilgrim and, in this difficulty, the animals are passive and will only attack you if provoked.  Spawn distances and detection distances also vary with difficulty.  If you're in Pilgrim mode or the easiest difficulty of Wintermute, the wolf should run from you even if he's still in the area (as long as you don't aim your weapon at him you should be fine to just walk by them).  If you're instead on Voyageur difficulty, then you may indeed get "jumped" when you exit the building.  Crouching before opening the door helps make you less detectable and might enable you to slip off to one side and around the building without the wolf noticing you.  They are unlikely to have despawned though they do have a patrol circuit... so they may be on a different part of their patrol loop at the moment you exit the building.

I play on what's effectively a modified pilgrim. Same settings, but higher loot spawn settings. (I'm new, shut up) 

12 minutes ago, Swippity_Swappity said:

I play on what's effectively a modified pilgrim. Same settings, but higher loot spawn settings. (I'm new, shut up) 

That's absolutely fine with me... no judgments here.  As I said, with passive mobs, you should be able to just walk about ignoring them and they will run (wolves and bears for sure, moose will sometimes lower there heads and threaten, but run the moment you stop approaching them).  Wolves will attack on pilgrim if you aim a weapon at them and they see you do it.  There are some glitches...  For example, on PIlgrim mode, I have had a wolf run in and take down a rabbit that had failed to detect me but was right next to me.  Even though I did not aim a weapon, it then immediately attacked me because it figured I was too close to it... even though it was he who got too close to me.

Also, I should add that if you actually hit it when you shot at it (leaving a blood trail), it is quite possible that it has bled out and died while you've been inside... or, sometimes the act of going indoors causes a glitch that resets the animal and causes it to mysteriously heal up.

Edited by UpUpAway95

11 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

That's absolutely fine with me... no judgments here.  As I said, with passive mobs, you should be able to just walk about ignoring them and they will run (wolves and bears for sure, moose will sometimes lower there heads and threaten, but run the moment you stop approaching them).  Wolves will attack on pilgrim if you aim a weapon at them and they see you do it.  There are some glitches...  For example, on PIlgrim mode, I have had a wolf run in and take down a rabbit that had failed to detect me but was right next to me.  Even though I did not aim a weapon, it then immediately attacked me because it figured I was too close to it... even though it was he who got too close to me.

Also, I should add that if you actually hit it when you shot at it (leaving a blood trail), it is quite possible that it has bled out and died while you've been inside... or, sometimes the act of going indoors causes a glitch that resets the animal and causes it to mysteriously heal up.

I heard somewhere that gunshots scare off wolves, but yeah I should check around my storage to see if the wolf is around somewhere.

Edited by Swippity_Swappity

22 minutes ago, Swippity_Swappity said:

I heard somewhere that gunshots scare off wolves, but yeah I should check around my storage to see if the wolf is around somewhere.

Hipfire shots from the revolver will scare them off.  It's the act of aiming the weapon that provokes them to attack in Pilgrim mode (or any Custom mode where Passive Animals is turned on).