Feat Progression Tweak

markwars1972

An idea...

Feats can be achieved in all modes, but only work in the modes you have achieved.  If you have all feats in Pilgrim, for instance, those feats only work in Pilgrim.  Custom feats would work in Custom but not in any of the official game modes...the same as the other four.

So the feat badges could be different colors or have a number/letter designation.  It would give everyone what they want, would allow super completionists to earn 5x the number of feats and would prevent anyone from losing a feeling of progression.

This sounds like an OK idea... BUT I would significantly shorten the requirements for most of them.  For example, in Interloper starting 1,000 fires is a very long run or more likely many longish Interloper runs chained together or an innumerable amount of "average" interloper runs.  Not impossible, but not necessarily very enjoyable a thing to "worry" over.

It used to be that you could not make progression on any feats while on a custom run.  If that hasn't been changed in the time I've been away from playing TLD, then I'd like to see an ability to earn feats during custom runs (keep in mind we're not talking about badges or achievements, but just feats).  If that means separating out a set of feats to be used only in custom runs (as described above), so be it.  However, my preference is still that feats should be able to be earned over any sort of run since most of them merely reflect a lot of hours spent playing the game overall.  With the exception of the new Darkwalker Feat (which is earned like a badge but used like a feat), feats merely encourage "grinding" for a small perk at all levels.

Don't really agree with this as it disencourages switching between different modes and overencourages Interloper play perhaps too much. A little animal symbol showing the highest difficulty you've completed the totality of a Feat on wouldn't be out of the question, though.

I disagree with the idea because I feel there's no need to turn the already grindy part of the game (feats) into a grind-fest.

IMO, a more practical idea would be to simply turn on feat progression on Custom. But I know there are some people who are really against this (I don't know why when it doesn't even affect them) so I shall not go deeper into this.

There's a whole other thread on this topic and I don't agree with this way feats should be in all modes and carry over. any feat unlocked in interloper should be usable in pilgrim or vise versa but I don't agree with simply enabling feats on custom either it should be an option, as I said in the other thread, just like we can turn intestinal Parasites on or off you should be able to enable feat progression or not in custom.

4 hours ago, gotmilkanot said:

...But I know there are some people who are really against this (I don't know why when it doesn't even affect them) so I shall not go deeper into this.

If it's optional I'm fine with it even though I am one who wants feat progression in custom. I would prefer it to be optional that way the ones who want it has it, but the ones who don't can leave it off. I exclusively play custom so I have no progress on any feats as I don't play any of the other 4 modes, as they are not my playstyle. Stalker has too much loot but interloper doesn't provide hatchets, knives, rifles or the revolver. So I play a custom sandbox with guns but less loot (somewhat unfortunately baseline resource availability has to be set to medium or cleaning kits won't spawn. I made a thread on this not too long ago) I have way more fun in custom than in the 4 preset modes so I always avoided them so feats are completely unused for me.

The reason why some people are defensive over it is unfortunately in the gaming world some people feels there is a right way and wrong way of playing games they want people to play it the right way (which is usually their way) or they get mad just look up any long dark gameplay you'll see a few people complain on the way they play. One youtuber I watch is Accurize2 he starves his character only to eat before bed he gets so many people saying that it's an exploit and not the way your "supposed" to play when in reality there isn't anything wrong with it at all and is something you would do irl it even has a name, it's called rationing.

Nonetheless there are some people who are very defensive I can understand if the changes are forced as then it directly affects them but if it's optional then it only affects the ones who wish to use it. I don't get the mentality to complain of a feature if you can just turn it on or off. If you want it well go for it, if you don't then leave it off, simple.

Edited by LoneWolf5841
Spelling and punctuation fixes.

10 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

@LoneWolf5841

Sorry, I don't quite get why it needs to an option to enable feats progression on Custom. I think it should just be implemented or not implemented (which is the state of the game now). Is there actually anyone who wouldn't turn on feats progression in custom games if there is such an option in the game?

In the other thread there was some who disagreed with the addition of feat progression on custom so I assume they would absolutely hate if feats progressed on custom so it being an option would allow anyone who wants it to have it and if someone doesn't then they can leave it off only to have feats progress on the preset difficulties. 

6 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

In the other thread there was some who disagreed with the addition of feat progression on custom so I assume they would absolutely hate if feats progressed on custom so it being an option would allow anyone who wants it to have it and if someone doesn't then they can leave it off only to have feats progress on the preset difficulties. 

Lol, most of them only play on official difficulties so the feature wouldn't even affect them so *shrug*

Personally, I've never played Custom myself (only played on Voyager and Interloper) but I wouldn't mind if people can earn feats in custom games. Doesn't affect my gaming experience in any way.

4 minutes ago, gotmilkanot said:

Lol, most of them only play on official difficulties so the feature wouldn't even affect them so *shrug*

Personally, I've never played Custom myself (only played on Voyager and Interloper) but I wouldn't mind if people can earn feats in custom games. Doesn't affect my gaming experience in any way.

I used to play exclusively stalker before the addition of custom but ever since it's addition I've played exclusively custom as I always wanted to play interloper but absolutely hate not being able to get a rifle so custom solved that issue the only problem is baseline resources availability has to be set to medium (or high) or you won't get a cleaning kit so unfortunately loot is plentiful.

12 minutes ago, LoneWolf5841 said:

I used to play exclusively stalker before the addition of custom but ever since it's addition I've played exclusively custom as I always wanted to play interloper but absolutely hate not being able to get a rifle so custom solved that issue the only problem is baseline resources availability has to be set to medium (or high) or you won't get a cleaning kit so unfortunately loot is plentiful.

I'm now too used to low BRA setting on Interloper that I can never handle the mountains of loot you get on lower difficulties.

The milling machine in BI can also fix firearms apart from tools so it's still possible to fix your firearms even without cleaning kits in low BRA setting. Maybe it can be an interesting strategy/challenge if that's your pleasure?

1 minute ago, gotmilkanot said:

I'm now too used to low BRA setting on Interloper that I can never handle the mountains of loot you get on lower difficulties.

The milling machine in BI can also fix firearms apart from tools so it's still possible to fix your firearms even without cleaning kits in low BRA setting. Maybe it can be an interesting strategy/challenge if that's your pleasure?

True but it requires an Aurora which may or may not occur whilst being in BI I made a thread on this before stating that the cleaning kits should be attached to rifle and revolver availability and not BRA. Also loot can be at least influenced slightly by setting the empty container modifier to high and loose items to low overall there's more loot than low BRA but not pilgrim and voyager amounts.

Just now, LoneWolf5841 said:

True but it requires an Aurora which may or may not occur whilst being in BI I made a thread on this before stating that the cleaning kits should be attached to rifle and revolver availability and not BRA. Also loot can be at least influenced slightly by setting the empty container modifier to high and loose items to low overall there's more loot than low BRA but not pilgrim and voyager amounts.

Oh yes, now I remember stating in that thread that I'm okay with the kits enabled altogether with the firearms option.

• Like 1