Harvesting skill is not progressing

Lamp Pole

I've noticed this too. I quarter most of the time and when I harvest the bags of meat, sometimes I will get the harvesting skill icon and sometimes I don't. Is it because I'm quartering and it's not enough to get the skill icon? I had originally thought because I was harvesting, I would get the icon every time

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, PrincessAutumn said:

I've noticed this too. I quarter most of the time and when I harvest the bags of meat, sometimes I will get the harvesting skill icon and sometimes I don't. Is it because I'm quartering and it's not enough to get the skill icon? I had originally thought because I was harvesting, I would get the icon every time

@PrincessAutumn
Quartering gives you 1 skill point per hour as does harvesting the meat.  If you're doing 1kg at a time, then you won't see the skill icon until you pass that threshold. It is accumulative, the game does "remember" the time spent from previous harvesting.  Mending works in a similar fashion.

@Lamp Pole

4 hours ago, Lamp Pole said:

I thought that you get point for each gut, hide and kilogram of meat. That would explain everything.

That's easy to mistake that, because that's how the cooking skill works. I don't blame you :)

• Upvote 1

@PrincessAutumn

Wilsonaka's comment was right on the money.

4 hours ago, wilsonaka said:

You should be gaining 1 skill point per hour spent harvesting (which is why I like to use hands as often as I can early on). 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
The wiki also mentions this: "The player will gain about 1 skill point per hour spent harvesting."  I also, have personally observed the skill progression being connected to the time spent harvesting rather than each individual harvesting activity (which I imagine was an adjustment made to address "mince meating" to quickly max out the skill).