Longest Survival

Guest Kane Parry

For a long time I only play in Pilgrim.   That said, I have four Pilgrim games I rotate through that have ongoing durations of 1900+ days to 900+ days.  I play Pilgrim because I am not so keen to have to contend with hostile wildlife.   Winter's Embrace and Escape the Darkwalker events got me to play basically in a Voyager type game and I still have the Winter's Embrace save game, albeit now Voyager mode, and I'll almost certainly keep it for now (can't just throw away all that ammo and such 🙂 ).

My objective for my Pilgrim games is to get each of them to whatever the "endpoint" of Story mode (I assume it will end in a 'new' region) and at that point I'll see what I do then.  To pass the time, I make a point of checking my outlying emergency shelters and bases, and every 200 to 300 game days go on a grand tour to check all visited revions (remind myself of what I have there) what has happened there since my last visit.  It allows for a change of pace and gods I can get so into making lots of lamp oil and collecting lots and lots of sticks (I have this fear of running out of stuff 😅 ).

I have deliberately not visited two regions - Mountain Town and Hushed River Valley - on the "there be dragons" (places I have never been) way of thinking.  Always a kind of unknown area.  That does not mean I haven't watched other play-throughs that went through those areas so I know a lot about the regions just never been there. 

The closest I came to entering the "unknown" was Bleak Inlet as I really didn't know the layout or what to expect other than I wanted to find the ammunition workbench.  Naturally, I prepared to excess in bring food, fuel, charcoal (for mapping) and other things to the entrance to that region.  It was fun exploration even if I was not at any serious risk. 

• 2 months later...

Oh boy... I'm in trouble now.

I took a break from The Long Dark to play Cyberpunk 2077. Got back into it a few days ago, eager to explore the new region, Ash Canyon.

I don't know exactly how long I've been here, but I'm having fun. Haven't been able to find the super backpack or the clogs yet, but I'm gradually mapping things out, moving from one shelter to the next.

Currently, I'm holed up in Angler's Den. I had a bad run-in with a moose nearby who caught me by surprise and got hit with Broken Ribs twice. To make matters worse, the ruined painkillers I had on me lasted exactly one dosage before vapourizing out of my inventory, so I'm relying now on Rose Hip tea. I also learned the hard way that, when it comes to broken ribs, the game treats Rose Hip tea as one dosage, not two, so I need rose hips, and I need them desperately.

Without rose hips or painkiller treatment, I can't climb. If I can't climb, I can't get off Timberwolf Mountain. If I can't get off Timberwolf Mountain, I'll eventually die.

Update: I got lucky and found enough rose hips. Now as long as I can keep on Mr. Moose's good side, I should be golden.

Edited by GothSkunk
  • Like 1