Escape the Darkwalker expierience so far

NovaliumYT

My progress so far in the Darkwalker event, sorry if its a bit thick on information, hopefully you don't get bored

When i first saw this event, I didn't really know what to expect apart from what i saw: a big shadow demon chasing you across Great Bear, spreading a mist, and if you 'touch' it, you die. And it looked interesting so I started to play it about 2 days ago, thinking it was gonna be spooky and on edge the entire time, which I get from regular runs.

Wasn't disappointed.

I started off in Milton for my first (and current) run, so i could prepare a bit before go on some Odyssey to get away from the big scary monster man. I really like how they give a bit of a grace period, so you can prepare before being chased. It started me off near the town, and with thick fog, so great start! I immediately made a survival rule for weapons: since i can't hurt it, I would only take more essential tools like a knife or crowbar, but no guns. It should be known by time I made this rule, I didn't think there were any animals, and I didn't encounter any in Milton, so when I found a rifle in the Grey Mother's house, I didn't bother taking it.

I decided to skedaddle when the time reached about 2 and a half minutes, so I made my way over to climbing area. When the timer went down to 0, I was down the first rope. The music also kicked up, which broke my sense of security and put me on edge. By the time I was up the second rope, I began to hear its roars back in the town, and I was "Feck this crap!" and I ran the rest of the way to the cave system.

Now, I had a look at some other posts on this thread, and I found someone complaining about every time you enter a transition zone, the Darkwalker spawns somewhere a small distance in front of you, and it gets cramped and needs fixing. Personally, I think it adds to the whole experience,. Being trapped in enclosed space with an unkillable entity that wants to take your soul is scary and I think it suits this event. I know it might be annoying to some people, especially if they are about to die. I just kinda like it, and when it happened, I was like, actually on edge, and I sprinted the rest of the way with it 150m behind me!

So I ran all the way to the Camp Office and bunkered down for a bit. I managed to outrun it but just to be safe, I put a ward rune on the inside, because apparantly they don't work when you place them outside. Gaming logic!

From there I went to the Dam. Passed by an event camp, and got a diary page. I then realised that my map is fully 'mapped', and I missed a camp in Milton, but I wasn't going back there. So through the Dam, I got into the Winding River, where I had my closest encounter with the Darkwalker. I was going through the passage to Pleasant Valley, and I heard it ahead of me. So in the dead end of the second turn, I placed a lure rune and waited. I could hear it slowly stomping closer and closer. It got within the 200m mark when I was scared it would ignore the rune and come for me (I was very close to it). Then it got to the 50m mark, and I was starting to panic when it stopped and broke the rune. When it did that, I legged it out of there, and into the cave system to Pleasant valley.

First I headed for the event camp to grab some more paint, another page  and supplies. I dumped some unused clothes and tools to save space. I then went to Thomson's Crossing and camped out there until the last minute, managing to get into the mines before the fog closed in. Had another close encounter with the Darkwalker, but managed to squeeze past it.

Coastal Highway was more of a nightmare with the animals than the actual nightmare. Up until this point, I somehow never encountered any animals. So guess what surprised me on the way down to the townsite? A bear! I went down the mountain and I landed right by it, and pegged me! Luckily, I had stocked up on meds, so I 'lived'. Since the Darkwalker was still quite far off, I sleeped it off at the garage. When I woke, I grabbed some more food and water and other stuff and ran to go back to Mystery Lake (the entire purpose of Coastal Highway was to get back to Mystery Lake, then from there, go Forlorn Muskeg).

In Raven Falls, I put down a Lure straight away to try a glitch I found in a comment on the TLD wiki (it won't spawn). Sadly, it didn't work, and I had another close encounter where I was in the Darkwalker by the tunnel, and I kept going forward and backward thinking the lure wasn't going to work, then it passed by me. I'm still very unsure on its pathfinding, but it apparently can go through walls.

I arrived in Mystery Lake (again), and stated to make my way to Muskeg. I heard it coming down the track toward me so I dropped a Lure down and avoided the tracks until I was around it. So far, I haven't got past the Camp Office, as I stopped there.

To be continued...

2 hours ago, boy_scout_kevin said:

From what I gather, the DW always heads straight at you (unless you bamboozle it with a glyph), mostly ignoring terrain.

I can see I'm never going to win the DW event, but I do enjoy playing it. I'm glad it's heavily salted with energy drinks; fatigue seems to be one of my biggest challenges.

You'll get it done!  Try your best to plan ahead a little, pause the game for breathers when necessary, resist the temptation to run everywhere - I mostly ran when I wanted to put some distance between me and him but if the proximity meter wasn't up, I would walk a lot.  Keep well-rested too.

• Upvote 1

Update

I left the camp office and got into Forlorn Muskeg (at this point I just wanted to get the second badge, the note one), I got to the next event camp, grabbed the note, placed a lure down and went to Bleak Inlet. I got into the cave system and again narrowly avoided getting my soul sucked from my body.

In Bleak Inlet, there were no animals whatsoever. No deer, or timberwolves, just the wind, me and it. And for some reason it sounded like it was moving slighty faster, please correct me if I am wrong.

So, again, went to the camp, got the note, slept, and got the hell outa there, on my way to my final destination: Broken Railroad.

I didn't encounter it the entire time it took me to climb over the landslide, so that was cool. I got to the last camp, and took the note, earning me the badge. I then decided to not give the Darkwalker any satisfaction in killing me, so I lit a fire, said my goodbyes to the world, and turned myself into cooked steak.

Thus ended my great Odyssey to my inevitable demise, and it only took me 3hrs 22mins

I think that wasn't a bad start for my first run. I will definitely have to strategize more about where I go.

3 hours ago, NovaliumYT said:

. I then decided to not give the Darkwalker any satisfaction in killing me, so I lit a fire, said my goodbyes to the world, and turned myself into cooked steak.

Glad someone else decided the tiffburgers solution was the right way too😁 

You can place the lure and then just keep playing, it’s gotta smash the lure before it will even touch you. It will walk straight by you while you yell and scream.

5 minutes ago, TiffTastic said:

Glad someone else decided the tiffburgers solution was the right way too😁 

You can place the lure and then just keep playing, it’s gotta smash the lure before it will even touch you. It will walk straight by you while you yell and scream.

1. Pretty much, I really like your story

2. By that time, all regions I needed to get back through to get into other zones were full of fog, and I was almost out of time in BR, and also I didn't want my soul being eaten by wolf demon monster, so I took the easy way out

• Upvote 1