World Map

oplli

With the Annoucement of ASH CANYON, it made me look at the worldmap. and i just realised that there was a problem in it. we dont see desolation point and broken railroad in it.

I dont see that as a big problem but it may be nice if if could be updated. i know there will be some UI improvements in the december update and a new region so maybe it is already planned. my suggestion is to make a map in wich we can move like google maps so every maps can fit in the space.

Map_World_v1-64_Eng.thumb.jpg.eb5d7d06e4ad1d13b310411d4f12f244.jpg

• Upvote 1

On the map that you show I do see both points that you say

9 minutes ago, oplli said:

Con el anuncio de ASH CANYON, me hizo mirar el mapa del mundo. y me di cuenta de que había un problema. no vemos un punto de desolación y un ferrocarril roto en él.

No lo veo como un gran problema, pero sería bueno si pudiera actualizarse. Sé que habrá algunas mejoras en la interfaz de usuario en la actualización de diciembre y una nueva región, así que tal vez ya esté planeado. Mi sugerencia es hacer un mapa en el que podamos movernos como mapas de Google para que todos los mapas quepan en el espacio.

Map_World_v1-64_Eng.thumb.jpg.eb5d7d06e4ad1d13b310411d4f12f244.jpg

On the map that you show I do see both points that you say

When Bleak Inlet was added, the world map was modified and its visible boundaries contracted.  Location names were moved so Broken Railroad, Desolation Point, and Crumbling Highway got pushed in from the margins, which got cropped off in part, and that displaces them as far as where those places were. 

Attached is an older world map of the game areas, missing Bleak Inlet and Hushed River Valley which came later and it is obvious that the world map was modified. 

And the sun, as observed from the Camp Office, still rises over Forlorn Muskeg and sets towards the new lookout and Carter Hydro dam.  😁

TLD-Region-Map.jpg

1 hour ago, mayimbe said:

I did not understand how the points are there but the regions are not?

you see the name of the region but where the region should be it is just a generic map background (for BR and DP)

Edited by oplli

The world map has to show all of the existing in-game regions on the map but probably because of display limitations the map had the region names mostly only roughly in the right places and the left (part of Broken Railroad) and right (much of Crumbling Highway and almost all of Desolation Point) edges of the map got cropped off.  It is not as if the world map provides sufficient details to navigate in the game world. 

@Lohaan if we refer to this map that the devs made before episode 1 and 2 release (i modified it a little) we can se that milton isnt really at the right place on your map. it should be a little bit more on the north of your map. but all of this isnt perfect, i dont think the maps were meant to be represented on a map 100% accurately. this is why i dont think it whould be somewhere precise on a map. but beacause you asked, i think that ash canyon could be between timberwolf mountain and mountain town, or could be between broken railroad and hushed river valley. it would make sense near hushed river valley because the color of the rocks that we can see in the artwork most resembles the ones in hushed river valley BUT it could just be a bait. if AC is near HRV and BR this would mean that the rock color is specific from this region of the map but beacause we only have HRV now we cannot say so it could aslo be between TWM and MT. The thing that i am shure is that this region will connect two far regions that have few access for now. 

For perseverance mills the thing is more complicated on your map but so i will explain with the official one. in episode one we can encounter a prisoner bus that crashed in the mountain. according to the map it was heading to pleasant valley. and in episode 3 it confirms the theory beacause we can find dead body of prisoners during the story. On the map there is a road that is going from mountain town to pleasant valley and a coastal road wich ends in a coastal region wich i think will be blackrock penitenciary. now it would make sense to put perseverence mills between pleasant valley and that coastal road if we think about the prisoners buses. beacause perseverance mills is a town it would make sense for it to be linked by road to PV, MT for food and to DP, CH for imported supplies and to blackrock for the prisoners.

TheLongDark_Global_map_Published_by_development_team_NewRegions.thumb.jpg.68893f5f092b6d4eae3c8efad2f2709b.jpg.ec79369e1be91c5f7805e4a5a6195e7c.jpg811091655_KaisTLDmap.jpg.c01b0e3f5b75a5f84185461ba8297f7d.png.626f2e0ee57582691a592840b6da997a.png

Ash canyon Should be at the left of Timberwolf but it looks like theres missing a LOT of space between blackrock and Timberwolf

The Bottom left map (ML, FM, BR, MT, HRV) should be squeezed to the top left corner and (PV, TWM) should be squeezed to the right hand corner for the map to be more acurate and fit the devs map.

5 hours ago, Lohaan said:

I should mention, here is the original source for the map

milton is at the same place. but it dosent matter maybe it is a the right place in the world i was saying thats it can make sense with the explanation :) 

Edited by oplli

The north of the World Map is not at the top of the map where it should be by normal convention.  North is oriented more NW using the World Map.  My characters have seen the sun rise from roughly the direction of Timberwolf and set roughly in the direction of Mystery Lake.   I remember when it was 180 degrees different but that was a long time ago.  So @Lohaanmap is (at least to me) oriented wrong, but that's just me.  😁

In other threads, I have said I would not want Ash Canyon to be a deadend region and that still stands though as an interior region that may eventually connect Long Curve in Pleasant Valley to a road heading North (using the pre-dux reference by Jerimiah to Will) I would be okay with that.  I just think that because of where Astrid ended up, in Coastal Highway, either Will somehow ends up there or something plucks both of them and puts them into the same region which might well be Perseverance Mills. 

We'll see in December.  :)

5 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I just think that because of where Astrid ended up, in Coastal Highway

Why do you think she is in coastal highway? as we have seen from the art at the end there are dead whales. so it is wether in desolation point or in a new region. i would say it is desolation point beacause it already exists and fro mthe art we see the ocean right when we get out of the cave wich is not the case if we would be in coastal highway. it would only work on desolation point if they create a new passage though. so it could also be a new region :)  

Well, the elevator she uses, then the passage from the elevator she takes until she gets to the outside corresponds to the new passage and (aurora-powered) elevator in Coastal Highway near Log Sort.  So that spot exists to the best we know.  I think that one thing we do know is that if a location appears in Story mode, then it has to appear in Survival mode to keep the landscape consistent. 

In any case, my big question would be how would Astrid and Will end up in a position to be able to do episode 4?  I suspect the spray paint navigation is tied into the quests of episode 4.  It is possible even Bleak Inlet might have a part to play in episode 4.  I could see Will being rescued by people from Coastal Highway looking for resources at the dam and brought to the Coastal Townsite and that Astrid might plausibly end up there as well.  Be interesting to see how plausible their getting to the same general location will be.  😀