Need directions to get that satchel and syrup

piddy3825

Decided to brave the harsh weather at HRV and see about that satchel and some more of that golden maple syrup that supposedly lurks together at the top of signal fire mountain.   It's taken all of my skills and stamina, but so far I've managed to stay alive.  I now find myself in the Valley Cave next to the Twin Sisters Falls and apparently directly below the mysterious signal fire.  

I could use some detailed directions on how to get up there.  I've only done it once in the past and that was a complete fluke as I stumbled about in a blizzard and don't recall how I got there.  There's a climbing rope to the right of the cave that I'm gonna tackle just as soon as I thaw out and the weather gets a little better.  Sounds like a good place to start, but I'm not so sure...

screen_8921923d-450c-450f-9049-d13e50604b8b_hi.thumb.png.51cf5cfeb3abe3fdecc541aedc75fa76.png

• Upvote 1

*****THE MAP HAS SPOILERS****** stop reading if you arent interested. 

This is kind of hard to explain. but you are literally on the lowest level of that location. BUT, if you turnaround and follow the ice STRAIGHT back, and then continue to the cliff, you should find a rope. it will climb up 1 level, and then there is another rope (so get some rest). 

That should get you to Pensive Vista. Then follow that around to Monolith Lake (watch out for Moosie). 

Go left at monolith Lake (your left from where you are entering) follow left and then south through brush to the signal fire.  I also found it by accident when i first ventured out there.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.9dae93f0bd96bcf1b06b9a2ecac21daa.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SirSharper said:

*****THE MAP HAS SPOILERS****** stop reading if you arent interested. 

This is kind of hard to explain. but you are literally on the lowest level of that location. BUT, if you turnaround and follow the ice STRAIGHT back, and then continue to the cliff, you should find a rope. it will climb up 1 level, and then there is another rope (so get some rest). 

That should get you to Pensive Vista. Then follow that around to Monolith Lake (watch out for Moosie). 

Go left at monolith Lake (your left from where you are entering) follow left and then south through brush to the signal fire.  I also found it by accident when i first ventured out there.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.9dae93f0bd96bcf1b06b9a2ecac21daa.jpg

holy cow, Batman!  That's probably why I never go there.  Thanks for the map, this is outstanding!  Better start brewing some coffee for all that trekking that's still ahead!

It is surprisingly easy to get to the signal fire. 

Come out of the cave from MT and go straight down, don't turn off left.  Fairly soon you will see a rope climb up to the signal fire valley on your right.

Recently, before WE, I went to HRV very early in the game specially for that moose backpack.  I had no problem getting to the signal fire, but there was no moose backpack there.

At the moment I'm at around Day 120 in WE, (PV start),  and have not been able to kill a moose and get its skin. Early in the game I saw a moose near Trappers Cabin but I had so little equipment and low skill levels that I was unable to kill it.  So, now that I have better clothes, weapons and skills, my next challenge is to go up to the Signal Fire and see if I can get the pack there.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Also don't forget there's two potential fire spawn points. With very different ways to approach them.

I was not aware of that.  So where is this alternate spawn in relation to my current location?  I've only been up in this area a couple of times and really do not know the map as intimately as I know some of the others.  And the one other time that I "found" the signal fire was just a fluke as I was wandering blindly in a blizzard just looking for shelter and somehow just managed to chop my way thru some scrub brush and there miraculously stood the mysterious fire!  Gotta love those snow shelters!

screen_d832a721-acb7-42ca-8f09-4c00cc314abf_hi.thumb.png.a5c64ba0863f992fbcf11ce31064ee6c.png

• Upvote 1

If you weren't already at the bottom of that valley the way is pretty simple: through the ice caves. The exits at Reclusive Falls (behind a water fall) and near the signal fire connect. You can also climb up that plateau on the up left from Hushed River. Or walk up there at Offset Falls. Then another rope climb and you're in the Monolith Lake area 

Here is the full map: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1491002838

The other signal fire is accessible either through the right ice cave (enter at Valley View Point) or via a rope climb

The map isn't really that complicated once you figured it out. You can easily divide it into smaller sub regions that are connected to each other. And handle one after another:

https://imgur.com/BJ2KMwS

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SirSharper said:

based on the photo the OP shared, the Signal Fire IS currently above his location. One would assume the other signal fire (to the right of the Entrance to the region) would not be there. 

True but initially it's very hard to tell which signal fire he's under.

And some people have only ever had one Signal Fire Spawn.

Attached is a full map of HRV with my paths to both Signal Fires hi-lighted.

Note in order to begin climbing the LONG rope up to the right most Signal Fire location you have to go to the bottom of the rope...where there is a patrolling wolf. The rope does have a resting ledge, which you need to use unless you have plenty of coffee...or a stim...or an energy drink.

Hushed River Valley Paths to Both Signal Fires Marked.jpg

• Upvote 2

After playing TLD for over 3,500 games days, I learned something new today.  I was astounded how I had missed it.  It was to do with my looking for the moose backpack.

I'll not give the details or it will spoil it for some people.  Some of the other people will have a smile at my missing something so basic.

2 hours ago, peteloud said:

After playing TLD for over 3,500 games days, I learned something new today.  I was astounded how I had missed it.  It was to do with my looking for the moose backpack.

I'll not give the details or it will spoil it for some people.  Some of the other people will have a smile at my missing something so basic.

oh.... you're killing me Smalls!  Now I just have to know!!!  I've only been successful twice in all my forays into HRV and the first time was a mistake and the second time it was only with the help of the good folks here.  If you've missed something so obvious as to be a game changer, then I say teach me, Obi Wan!  
Inquisitive minds want to know, besides nowadays, we all need something to smile about, too.  (besides, you can cover your reply with that spoiler alert, thingy)

There has been a problem with HRV for ages, I wonder if it has been fixed yet.  I reported this in detail to support about three months ago.

If you left your bedroll in a cave then went out and were attacked by a wolf or bear your bedroll left in the cave was damaged just as if you had been carrying it.

To give a serious, detailed report I had to leave HRV kill bears make new bedrolls then return leave my bedroll in the cave then go out to be attacked.  To check the reproducibility of the problem I had to repeat the test a few times.  It was an interesting sub-challenge.

• Upvote 1