Sandbox - games no longer saving. Any way to make it 'snap out of it' and save?

Gun Tech.

Something happened 2.5 hours earlier. Since then the game shows the wolf animation when transitioning, but no longer the "Saving..." text, and the timestamp on the save file is not updated. I've tried everything in-game and I can't save my game.

Also, the Quit button is grayed out. I can't quit my game.

So the game seems to be 'stuck in something'. Anyone have ideas how to snap it out of it and let me save my progress? 

I've tried going into buildings, other regions, and getting a sprain.

This is on Windows.

Edited by Gun Tech.

Happened to me too just last night while I was collecting my last few cairns in PV. I didn't even notice the game wasn't even saving until I was in mountaineer's hut in TWM after I cleared PV.

Had to close the game via task manager in the end and lost about an hour of irl time. It's a bug from the recent update and hopefully they fixed it soon, but for now the only way is to force quit the game as soon as you notice your progress isn't being saved to prevent any more time wasted.

Edited by gotmilkanot

Hm...  I was there hoping would be something I could try to get it out of the state where the Quit button is grayed out, and if I can do that I might be able to save and quit.

I noticed another thing: when changing Options in the game and clicking Confirm, the game says "Saving...", but the user001.* file is not updated.

Edited by Gun Tech.

One of the first things I do when I encounter problems is to verify the game files through my library on Steam. 
Just in case you don't know how to do that:

In your Steam Games Library: Right click "The Long Dark" and select "properties". Open the "Local Files" tab, and then click "Verify integrity of game file".  It'll take a few minutes.

On to the subject at hand: I have also encountered this problem. It seems, for me, the only time(s) that it has happened is when I had used ALT+TAB to switch out of the game, or use the Windows key to change programs, and then return to TLD. I have no idea if this actually triggers it or not, but if there were some common correlation between this and saving, it would probably be useful information.

Good luck :)

I may have Alt-tabbed out once to adjust some gambling options for my chat. The time when it stopped saving seems to match it.

A friend on PS4 was also set back, from the game crashing when sleeping in a bedroll (and the game not saving). The crash has been reported and might not be related.

I tried to switch to windowed mode with the game still running, but this changed nothing. Couldn't save.

Looking for ideas that could snap it out of it and let me save if possible.

Hello, I'm on Xbox one and had exactly same issue with my save. I sprained my ankle climbing to lake overlook and the game auto saved there, however after this happened it didn't save anymore and quit option was disabled. I managed to reset Xbox (unplugged) and run the game again. I repeated my steps, got affliction in the same spot and same bug occurred. I actually died shortly after and don't have the save file but in my new sandbox I just keep an eye is the game saving properly and even renter buildings more often to make sure I don't lose too much progress in case it happens. I hope this gets fixed, very annoying in fact.