New feats

DarKube

I think it would be the perfect time with the Fearless Navigator  to add a feat themed on cartography. Maybe something like "When you have explored the entire map,  you are more efficient at mapping and youre map fill 25% faster" I think it would fit well in the game and can be another bonus for the Faithful Cartographer challenge.

Let me now what do you think of this idea 😉!

PS: I really enjoy this community and I'm so happy to be back on those forums !

Hey. I do like the idea of a cartography feat. Perhaps it could make surveys more efficient by lowering the time it takes to survey? The reason I say this is because with the mechanics of surveying, you can get a higher % by going to higher elevations. I realize this doesn't work for flatter terrain. Lowering the time could be a good trade-off. I think this could be a nice luxury to have.

My ideas for unlocking the feat, you should have uncovered X amount of map area (say 500km or whatever feels balanced), or have surveyed X amount of times (cumulative, of course). I would also be open to the feat being unlocked by the Faithful Cartographer challenge. 🤪We could make it even more difficult to get by making that challenge a requirement for unlocking the ability to work on the feat 😆.

I'm open to ideas and constructive criticism.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, wilsonaka said:

Hey. I do like the idea of a cartography feat. Perhaps it could make surveys more efficient by lowering the time it takes to survey? The reason I say this is because with the mechanics of surveying, you can get a higher % by going to higher elevations. I realize this doesn't work for flatter terrain. Lowering the time could be a good trade-off. I think this could be a nice luxury to have.

My ideas for unlocking the feat, you should have uncovered X amount of map area (say 500km or whatever feels balanced), or have surveyed X amount of times (cumulative, of course). I would also be open to the feat being unlocked by the Faithful Cartographer challenge. 🤪We could make it even more difficult to get by making that challenge a requirement for unlocking the ability to work on the feat 😆.

I'm open to ideas and constructive criticism.

You know what ? I've got basically the same idea ! But I wasn't sure if it was good... Apparently it is 😁

I think that Cartography (with the advent of the new features and reworks) are fine as is.  I think the time investment is already very well balanced against the long term usefulness of your map.  I don't think it should get easier... and in general I'm not in favor of things that make life easier for the player.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think that Cartography (with the advent of the new features and reworks) are fine as is.  I think the time investment is already very well balanced against the long term usefulness of your map.  I don't think it should get easier... and in general I'm not in favor of things that make life easier for the player.

:coffee::fire:

As I've noticed throughout several of your posts and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that position. 
Would you be open to having a skill level for it instead? Beginner cartography skill would be baseline, doesn't survey much area at all, and you don't have the ability to add landmarks or objects, or can utilize spray cans until higher levels?  I'm just throwing the ball around here.

@wilsonaka

Please don't get me wrong, you've got some interesting ideas.  Personally I don't use feats... since I don't like to make things easier, I just choose to ignore those things.  However, I don't try to take those things away from other players.

If Hinterland decided to add a Feat to make cartography easier, then I wouldn't make a fuss... I would just choose to not ever use it.

However, since your thread was just about your thoughts on it, I thought I would give mine too.  I genuinely think the system is for the most part already really well balanced.  Because some new things have been recently added, I'm sure there will be some tweaks and adjustments... but all in all, I think it's good.

I think I would probably like the idea of a cartography skill even less... though I do admit, it would be reasonable to be able to get better and more efficient at it over time.  The big draw back for me would be that a skill progression for it would be a sweeping change that I would not be able to ignore (that would be why I would like it less... but should Hinterland decide to implement something like that, I would respect their choice).

So, for me the idea situation would be to not give cartography a Feat or a Skill progression, be cause I don't its a mechanic that needs to be easier (it's already really easy)... but if I had to choose a feat or a skill, then I would pick Feat.  That way I could just ignore it like I do the rest of the Feats. :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Again, I hope you don't misunderstand...  I'm not saying the idea you've proposed is a bad idea (again I'm not saying that).  I'm just saying that I think the mechanics for mapping in the game are already pretty simple and (for the most part) very easy, and because of that I just don't see a need for a skill or a feat to make it even easier.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Again, I hope you don't misunderstand...  I'm not saying the idea you've proposed is a bad idea (again I'm not saying that).  I'm just saying that I think the mechanics for mapping in the game are already pretty simple and (for the most part) very easy, and because of that I just don't see a need for a skill or a feat to make it even easier.

Don't worry I totally understand you thought. I wasn't even sure myself if it was a good idea, I just post it so people can think about this idea and tell me if it's good and intersting in the game. So, long story short, you thought are welcome !

• Upvote 1