No aurora effects in sky during active aurora in Wintermute story

HanDuet

While replaying Wintermute episodes 1 & 2, I've realized that the aurora effects are not appearing in the night sky during active aurora events. All other effects of the aurora are occurring as expected (electronic devices activated, glowing wolves, etc.).

I first noticed the lack of aurora effects at the very beginning of Wintermute episode 1 after the plane crash, but wrote it off as an irregular glitch. However, now that I've hit the key moment in episode 2 were the auroras return and are a central part of the story, I really feel the absence of those beautiful aurora effects in the clear night sky. See the attached screenshot taken around Methuselah's campfire after the second bear encounter, showing the powered overhead lights in the background (toward bottom right) but no aurora in the sky.

Any troubleshooting tips to fix this problem, or is this a known issue with an upcoming fix? Restarting my PC and verifying the game files in Steam did not resolve the problem.

screen_4758c3aa-f793-4f78-8e52-9f95d9d392f8.thumb.png.0825680c9e6477aff681a0886239d1b8.png

• Upvote 1

Having the same problem.  Downloaded this for xbox about two weeks ago. In part 2 and haven't seen aurora show up once yet, not even during the crash scene.  There are times when the lights will flicker and you can hear the electronic buzzing noise, but no aurora has appeared in the sky yet in the game.

Also noticed that the player's breath is red like a fog of blood even when there is no fire shining light on it.

Did some effects get messed up with the latest patch?

I think aurora has something like phases. Not sure but in the begining, before full strength, the aurora  sky lights are not on but the electric lights are on plus all electric equipment as well. But again, I have not tested this. Here is my last aurora in Bleak Inlet. Yes it is not story mode.

AreThey.thumb.png.d9f59776b451f0a2a1a96ad841314cb4.png

Edited by acada

I can't speak for story mode but in the archivist challenge I noticed that too on PS4. I was at Forlon Muskeg with the aurora in the sky. I entered Broken Railroad and the effects in the sky were gone but the aurora was still going. Back to Forlon Muskeg and the aurora was still there.

Edited by Ich9210

Well, the good news is that I am seeing the aurora effects during the Wintermute story now. The first time the effects occurred as expected was once the story had progressed to where I needed to go through the Carter Dam during an aurora to power the elevator.

The bad news is that it means the problem was probably not something simply wrong with my computer, but a glitch requiring a game client patch. Hope the fine folks at Hinterland Studio will fix this so future playthroughs of Wintermute will trigger the aurora effects at the correct plot points!

screen_588e7d7b-d6f4-4efc-8ccf-fdc80975e503.png

I dont think there was an update between your original post and last one. The last 1.69 update was 18/12/2019. Could be some other update like graphic card drivers or (and this is worse), the bug is intermittent. Something like mine. I had some textures half transparent. Tried to repro, but no luck.

Edited by acada