Custom experience parameters saving

Dominique

Hi team

The only "experience" that I use is the custom scenario. 

I still do not understand how to save the long list of parameters as tuned by me. When I open the share/save code option I get a 20 characters complex key without any possibility of saving it or copy it/paste it on a .txt file somewhere and do the reverse for another game with the enter option. Tell me that I don't have to copy them manually 😏

Is there something that I do not understand ? An easier way to save ?

Also I wish, besides saving easily the parameters, to be able to consult my choices during the game and even modifying them to slowly tune them to an optimal  set up (for me). 

Thanks 

Dominique

Edited by Dominique

21 hours ago, Dominique said:

Tell me that I don't have to copy them manually 😏

Sorry, I think that's the only way (unless something changed since the last time I tried). I usually screenshot them and transcribe only when I need to.

But good news! Last time I checked, every time you start a new custom game it will have the same settings you used last time (you can easily check by looking at the code and comparing it with the previous one). So if you want to tune some settings from your last custom game, you don't need to save and paste codes every time.

21 hours ago, Dominique said:

Also I wish, besides saving easily the parameters, to be able to consult my choices during the game and even modifying them to slowly tune them to an optimal  set up (for me). 

There is no way to change the settings during a run as far as I know. That's a bit annoying, but I understand why that isn't a thing.

@Hilayla
I don't know if it still works (as I've not done it in a while), but we used to be able to go to the journal and highlight all the text we want, we could then "ctrl-C" to copy that text to the clipboard... then later "ctrl-V" to paste the text to some other application later. 

Beyond that, I'm not sure.  I have a few old journals still saved from other runs, but I've not ever come across a way to explicitly extract them from the game.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

I also wish they would give us the ability to copy the code. You can paste it when you click on Enter Code but not copy it when you click on Share Code.

I asked about this in the Question thread back in July but never got an answer.

The main problem with copying that code is figuring out the difference between an upper case I (eye) and a lower case l (el). You also have top pay attention to the difference between an upper case O (oh) and a zero (0), although a zero is oblong. You just have to pay close attention.

Also be aware that when laying a custom game, feats are no longer acquired.

I saw that there was an issue with the Feats, thanks for confirming and explaining the reason ...

@Dominique
I think it's not so much an issue, as it was a conscious decision...  Since the advent of the Custom mode option, progress in a custom game would not contribute to the earning of Feats.  I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that a player could conceivably create a custom sandbox that was even easier than Pilgrim.  To that end, I tend to agree with this decision.  I think if we want to create our own "home brewed" experience, (then I would tend to agree with Hinterland) and don't think what we do in a customized experience should contribute to the feats meant to be earned through "standard" gameplay. 

Edited by ManicManiac

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, Dominique said:

There are several ways to get (or make) a spreadsheet that will enable you to plot out custom game configurations... is that what you mean?

I can link you to a few if you like.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 11/15/2019 at 6:57 PM, ManicManiac said:

@Dominique
I think it's not so much an issue, as it was a conscious decision...  Since the advent of the Custom mode option, progress in a custom game would not contribute to the earning of Feats.  I suspect this is mainly due to the fact that a player could conceivably create a custom sandbox that was even easier than Pilgrim.  To that end, I tend to agree with this decision.  I think if we want to create our own "home brewed" experience, (then I would tend to agree with Hinterland) and don't think what we do in a customized experience should contribute to the feats meant to be earned through "standard" gameplay. 

Not a big problem for me, I am not particularly interested by these bonuses. There are  already plenty of ways to tune an unique experience. I just didn't understand why the feats seemed stuck after a few tens hours of play. .  But I'd say , if some fellow gamers wanted to cheat themselves,  I wouldn't care.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:02 PM, ManicManiac said:

There are several ways to get (or make) a spreadsheet that will enable you to plot out custom game configurations... is that what you mean?

I can link you to a few if you like.

I am almost done so I hardly  need it, thanks. I am curious though, I didn't find an obvious file for the parameters at the usual places (appdata etc.). Where is it ?

6 hours ago, Dominique said:

I wouldn't care

Neither would I :)
I was only trying to articulate what I thought the rationale was behind it.  As a single player game, I'm all for people playing the game how they want to *within the parameters decided upon by Hinterland.  I didn't realize you were saying that progress was accumulating on custom and them stopped... that's a weird one, since as far as I know progress towards feats was never meant to accrue via custom.

The last place I saw a good premade spreadsheet for this kind of stuff was on The Long Dark (Fandom) Wiki.  While it appears that the workable spreadsheet has been replaced by a PNG... it would still be easy to copy and paste the spreadsheet imbedded into the page itself, and use that as a basis to construct one that using conditional formatting to perform whatever extra functions you want/need. 

In either case, my previous comments were only meant to be helpful.  If I misread the context, or missed the point you were trying to make... it wasn't intentional.

Edited by ManicManiac
Reposted and Deleted Original - found an annoying error I just had to correct.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 2:26 AM, ManicManiac said:

Neither would I :)
I was only trying to articulate what I thought the rationale was behind it.  As a single player game, I'm all for people playing the game how they want to *within the parameters decided upon by Hinterland.  I didn't realize you were saying that progress was accumulating on custom and them stopped... that's a weird one, since as far as I know progress towards feats was never meant to accrue via custom.

The last place I saw a good premade spreadsheet for this kind of stuff was on The Long Dark (Fandom) Wiki.  While it appears that the workable spreadsheet has been replaced by a PNG... it would still be easy to copy and paste the spreadsheet imbedded into the page itself, and use that as a basis to construct one that using conditional formatting to perform whatever extra functions you want/need. 

In either case, my previous comments were only meant to be helpful.  If I misread the context, or missed the point you were trying to make... it wasn't intentional.

They were very helpful, thanks ! We are on the same wavelenght I might say.

I think my experience accumulated playing the 2 first episodes and survival with templates early on. When I began playing custom I did'nt realize  until sometime that the bonus progression was stuck. I wasn't clear enough from my side, I am afraid !

Thanks for the link.