Revolver vs Moose

matchstick

1st game (noob) day 160, Voyageur. ML, at the cabin south of Unnamed Pond. The one with the outhouse. Moose spawn, and all I brought is the revolver with 9 shots. But I am level 4 with the revolver.

Determined... I position myself and... a headshot. The moose runs off. After 20 mins he's back. Another great position and another headshot. I can tell he's wounded moving slow and groaning like he's wounded. Atop the sticky-out tree I hit him again. His charge gets him stuck under the tree with me on top. I plug him again and again. With one bullet left from my original nine he finally croaks. I have eight confirmed hits, watching the revolver register on the right of the screen after each shot.

Either this revolver is a paultry 22 caliber or they nerfed it, big time. Anyone else find this out?

Moose and bears are the tanks of the TLD world and will take quite a few shots to down correctly. Even what could have been perceived as direct hits can often register as a "graze" hit. Meaning, it will give you experience and hit your target, but will do little to no damage. Check for a blood splatter in the snow after every hit to make sure it had a direct landing.

On 10/11/2019 at 11:01 PM, matchstick said:

1st game (noob) day 160, Voyageur. ML, at the cabin south of Unnamed Pond. The one with the outhouse. Moose spawn, and all I brought is the revolver with 9 shots. But I am level 4 with the revolver.

Determined... I position myself and... a headshot. The moose runs off. After 20 mins he's back. Another great position and another headshot. I can tell he's wounded moving slow and groaning like he's wounded. Atop the sticky-out tree I hit him again. His charge gets him stuck under the tree with me on top. I plug him again and again. With one bullet left from my original nine he finally croaks. I have eight confirmed hits, watching the revolver register on the right of the screen after each shot.

Either this revolver is a paultry 22 caliber or they nerfed it, big time. Anyone else find this out?

Its been a while since I've played TLD, but when the revolver was first introduced, I too dumped a considerable amount of ammo into a moose that didn't drop it. They don't mention the caliber, but with just 6 rounds in the cylinder I'd have to imagine at a minimum its a .38 special or .357 magnum, anything bigger and you'd be stuck with 5 rounds vs 6. I just pretend that the only ammo you can get is .38 special hollow point in a low powered loading to explain how woefully underpowered the revolver is against big game.

40 minutes ago, matchstick said:

I was guessing it's 45 long Colt, an old-style cowboy caliber.

Maybe, however as Raph mentions in Mailbag Dispatch #34:

If I tell you it's a XX calibre, you'll start comparing the in-game behaviour to what you know of the real-world equivalent which is irrelevant.  The Revolver is "good at deterring wolves" calibre and the Rifle is "better chance of taking down a Bear if you're lucky" calibre.

:) 

Agreed. In game behavior supposedly was adjusted to make the pistol less powerful. Which in turn makes the rifle more potent. Makes sense.

However I was looking at the round itself. To me it looks like the .45 long Colt of the old west. It was a black powder round back then. Less powerful for sure.

The .357 with modern smokeless powder packs much more punch.