Winter Garden: Plant-based food ideas

Calico

I've been playing since Episode 1 first came out and I really enjoy seeing how the game has developed. I think having a few more plant-based food items would add some more variety, especially since they expanded the cooking system.  Mostly I'm thinking of more ways to really "live off the land" in more remote areas, instead of relying on scavenged food from towns. I tried to keep it simple - no full on recipes (though I hope we get to that point someday).

Maple Seeds - Visual should be a dried bunch on a branch to indicate you have gathered a lot at once. Long processing time (shelling). Boil in 0.5L or more H20 (warmth bonus) OR roast on campfire rocks or stovetop (no H2O, faster cooking time, no warmth bonus). Those maple saplings have to be coming from somewhere! Eaten raw = Indigestion. Calories ~ Candy or Granola Bar

Lingonberry (or other member of cranberry family) - Berries in this family stay on the shrub all year (shrub is evergreen, lower to ground than roses) and the flavor actually improves from being frozen. Can be eaten raw or cooked (warmth bonus) in container to increase quality. Calories ~ Can of Peaches.

Golden Chantrelle Mushroom - Found on trunks of fallen trees. Must be cooked in container with 0.5L or more H2O (warmth bonus). Eaten raw = Indigestion. Calories ~ Candy or Granola Bar

Dulse Seaweed - Only found on seashore. Must be cooked in container with 0.5L or more H2O (warmth bonus). Eaten raw = Indigestion. Calories ~ Cattail Stalk (may cook up to 4 in cooking pot with 0.5L per unit)

Watercress - Only found by waterfalls. Deteriorates very rapidly. At 20% or more quality can be used as deer/rabbit bait. Eaten raw, no processing. ~50kcal.

Parsnips and Leeks - found in root cellars of remote houses. Heavy for the amount of calories gained. Must be processed (peel and/or chop) with knife. Must be cooked: either roasted on rock/grill or in container with 0.5L or more H2O per veg (warmth bonus). Eaten raw = Indigestion. Calories ~200kcal.

New Ailment: Indigestion

Primarily caused by eating plant food raw that needs to be cooked, also low quality plant food or plant-based food. Low quality plant-based scavenged food such as crackers and granola bars also have chance to cause indigestion. Symptoms: pain and nausea, slows movement, affects aim. Cured by rest or Fir Needle tea. On par with pain from sprains, not deadly like food poisoning.

Fir Needle Tea - Processed. Warming bonus (as other teas). Also cures Indigestion.

• Upvote 3

I'm all for more forageables! I just worry too many options would make things too easy they would have to be sparse. Scarcity is one of the themes I love most about the game. If there were berries it would be interesting if the bear would always be near them making it difficult to harvest. 

• Upvote 1

I like this idea too.

There are a couple of farms on the island, I think it would be a reasonable assumption to find a veggie plot or greenhouse with staples like onions, leeks, carrots, maybe some herbs. Then there's the misanthrope on his little island, and Grey Mother, are you really saying they wouldn't grow something themselves?

The herbs could even be a little medicinal. Sage tea for headaches, peppermint for a breath freshener. 

I know I'm getting carried away, but I think there are real possibilities.

• Upvote 1