I broke the game by alt-F4

karabass

I was playing the game and had to quit fast so I just did Alt-F4 as I did many times before. But this time something went wrong - the game does not start anymore. Black screen and nothing happens. I've tried waiting for 30 minutes, uninstall/reinstall, verify game files in Steam, delete all the saves and files from \AppData\Local\Hinterland

What else can I try to resurrect the game? 1600+ hours and last achievement left lol

Did you restart your system? Like fully power off and unplug for a few mins to discharge any power left in your computer? How about a system restore to the day of or day before doing the alt f4? is every single process of the long dark stopped via task manager?

When you did the uninstall did you do a scan to remove fragments after the uninstall to make sure everything was gone before re-installing the game?

• Upvote 1

Lately I've been having similar issues which requires me to restart every time I want to play TLD.  If I play the game, exit, then attempt to start it up again right away, half the time it freezes on the that initial disclaimer screen.  Sometimes it will load past that, but at about 1/20 its normal speed, with horribly stuttering audio.  If I restart my machine, all is well.