New weather type.

EternityTide

This morning it hit -8 outside, with thick frost. Which got me thinking, why is there no frost in TLD?

Occasionally in game, I have found that a number of times I've had unusually quiet nights. I'd like to break up the monotony of blizzard after blizzard arriving, making a mess and then scarpers without leaving a tip...

Less frequent blizzards could be balanced with frost. Frost would mean that players who go out early will have to wrap up warm, as wind chill will be a minimum, but air temperature will be a chilly -30oC.

The addition to this is that cars will be frozen shut and containers that are outside will be unable to be opened (they can be forced open with a prybar)

The cold will also decrease the possibility of success lighting a fire, as the chimney is too cold to provide an updraft.

The frost would exist as a pale bloom over all objects from sunrise until 10am. When sun rises, objects such as cars, bins, carriages, roofs, etc will steam slightly as they warm up. If the temperature remains low, this will lead to icicles on the edges of roofs.

Let me know what you think,

Snow could melt on sunny days and cause temporary flooding/thin ice in areas that are normally traverse-able... Black ice on streets and stairs could cause you to fall and injure yourself... Wind could cause cars, items, bodies, landmarks and buildings/doors to either be exposed, accessible or buried in snow depending on the day...

Even on the sunniest days in TLD the temperature only reaches a few degrees above 0C. And then only for a few hours. That might be enough to soften (not melt) snow, but it would have next to no impact on ice. Certainly not on a huge thick slab of ice like on the lake. But soft snow could slow you down in your travels.

I like the idea of having the wind blow snow up against doors, blocking them. But then there should also be a way for the player to remove the snow. With your hands would take long and raise your cold bar quickly, but if you're lucky enough to find a shovel it would go much faster and not cool you down. And maybe if you're inside when you'd just have to wait until the snow is gone, possibly trapping you inside for days.

Even on the sunniest days in TLD the temperature only reaches a few degrees above 0C. And then only for a few hours. That might be enough to soften (not melt) snow, but it would have next to no impact on ice. Certainly not on a huge thick slab of ice like on the lake. But soft snow could slow you down in your travels.

I like the idea of having the wind blow snow up against doors, blocking them. But then there should also be a way for the player to remove the snow. With your hands would take long and raise your cold bar quickly, but if you're lucky enough to find a shovel it would go much faster and not cool you down. And maybe if you're inside when you'd just have to wait until the snow is gone, possibly trapping you inside for days.

Yeah that's why I was thinking thawing ice on the snow not the ice on the lakes.

I DO like the idea of snow piling up against the doors (another vote for the Camp office over the Trappers Homestead with it's 2 exits).

This morning it hit -8 outside, with thick frost. Which got me thinking, why is there no frost in TLD?

Occasionally in game, I have found that a number of times I've had unusually quiet nights. I'd like to break up the monotony of blizzard after blizzard arriving, making a mess and then scarpers without leaving a tip...

Less frequent blizzards could be balanced with frost. Frost would mean that players who go out early will have to wrap up warm, as wind chill will be a minimum, but air temperature will be a chilly -30oC.

The addition to this is that cars will be frozen shut and containers that are outside will be unable to be opened (they can be forced open with a prybar)

The cold will also decrease the possibility of success lighting a fire, as the chimney is too cold to provide an updraft.

The frost would exist as a pale bloom over all objects from sunrise until 10am. When sun rises, objects such as cars, bins, carriages, roofs, etc will steam slightly as they warm up. If the temperature remains low, this will lead to icicles on the edges of roofs.

Let me know what you think,

+1

Archived